Copy Kat recipe that's guaranteed to pack on the pounds.....
Glazed Donuts (Krispy Kreme Recipe Copycat)
Serves: 18 donuts
For the donuts
* 1¼ cups (300ml) whole milk
* 2¼ teaspoon (one packet, 7g) instant (quick-rise) yeast
* 2 large eggs
* 8 tablespoons (113g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
* ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 4¼ (535g) cups bread flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
* oil, for frying
For the glaze
* 4 cups (500g) powdered (icing) sugar
* ½ cup (120ml) milk
* pinch of salt
To make the donuts
1. In a medium bowl, heat the milk in the microwave until it is warm to the touch, about 45 seconds. Add in the yeast and give it gentle stir. Let the mixture sit until there is some foam on top, about 5 minutes.
2. Using a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, beat together the yeast mixture, the eggs, butter, sugar and salt until combined. Add in about half of the flour and mix until combined. Add in the remaining flour and mix until combined. During the mixing process, you may need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides. If the dough is too wet to handle, add in flour 1 tablespoon at a time. Cover the bowl with a large kitchen towel, and leave it in a warm place to let it rise until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
3. When the dough is done rising, pour it onto a well-floured surface and roll it to ½-inch thickness. Cut the donuts with a donut cutter, or with 2 different sized round cookie cutters (the large cutter should be about 3-inches in diameter). Save the donut holes. Knead scraps together, being careful not to overwork the dough, and repeat the process of rolling it out and cutting the donuts.
4. Place the cut donuts on parchment paper, leaving room to rise between each one. (TIP: I place each donut on an individual piece of parchment paper, so it is easy to transfer into the hot oil for frying. See picture.) Cover the donuts with a kitchen towel and let them rise in a warm place until they are puffed up, about 45 minutes.
5. About 15 minutes before the donuts are done rising, heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy-bottomed pot to 375°F/190°C. Place cooling racks on top of sheets of paper towels parchment paper, or line plates with paper towels.
6. When the donuts are ready and the oil is hot, carefully add the donuts to the oil, a few at a time without overcrowding your deep-fryer or pot. (TIP: I find that it is easier to place the entire parchment paper in the oil with the donuts, so I don't accidentally "stretch" out the donuts. Once the donuts are in the oil, you can easily remove the parchment paper with tongs.)
When the bottom of the donuts are golden, about 45 seconds, flip the donuts over using a spatula. Cook until the other side is also golden. Donut holes will cook quicker. Remove donuts with a tong or slotted spatula, and place on the prepared racks or plates. Repeat with the remaining donuts, making sure to keep the oil at the right temperature.
To make the glaze
1. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, milk and salt until smooth. If you prefer a thinner glaze on the donuts, add in more milk one teaspoon at a time.
1. Place a cooling rack on top of paper towels or parchment paper for easy clean up.
2. Dip one side of the fried donuts into the glaze. Flip the donut over using a fork. Carefully transfer the glazed donut to the prepared cooking rack. The glaze will slowly drip off the donuts as it sets. Repeat with remaining donuts.