Potty Taining Set Back....

My fog Shammy for the most pat is potty trained.....except when hes out side of his crate.

When he in his crate he whines when he has to go out, when hes running around his closed off area of the kitchen he just goes wherever he pleases.....

I do reward him when he goes outside and am going to the store later is week to get some bells and put them on a string and put it on the door handle o he can ring them when he has to go (Lets just hope he desnt chew the string. Ill get a big bell :jawdrop:)

Shammys a frustatring doggy :chickendance:

How old is he?

Some pups take longer to train and GET IT than others.

My Suzie is now 17 1/2 months and still peeing and pooing indoors. It's really starting to piss me off though, because she knows she can go outside at anytime using the dog door, but she won't use it for nothing.

As the weather warms up, I am going to try and switch the door to a clear flap (right now it's a tinted one) and hopefully she'll use it then, if not, I am going to have to break down and start putting her in her crate.

She, I think, had a bad experiance in her crate enroute to me back in Nov. '07, because she acts totally petrified of the thing, but I have tried everything else and don't know what to do, except the bell thing. Maybe I'll try that too..

I really want her to use the dog door though.

Hope your baby gets the hang of it soon for you.

It sure is frustrating, isn't it? :chickendance:

enchantedmountain

Just make sure your there to catch him if he pees on the floor. That is the most important part. You have to watch them 24/7 until they are potty trained. They say (I don't know who "they" are), for every time they pee or poo on the floor without you scolding them it sets you back 2 weeks to 2 months depending on the progress he/she has already made. I completely believe that. I actually would get excited when mine would pee in front of me, just so I could scold them, because that is the only way they will learn (not that I enjoy scolding them, but I enjoy them learning). Make sure you scold them in a low tone, not a happy tone. Also make sure you use natures miracle to get the smell out. You will never be able to potty train if there is even a trace of pee smell on the floor. Soak it up as much as you can then poor about double the amount of natures miracle over it and let it dry completely. If there is dried pee you have missed, soak it with water and blot as much out as possible let it mostley dry and then poor the natures miracle over it. Just a couple of suggestions for you. Good luck, I know it can be maddening!

Yea, I was going to ask age too. You know, each pup is different, some get it really fast or just plain prefer the grass. I think that was Maddy, he from day one preferred the grass. Sure, we had mistakes, but not nearly as many as Josie had. She could've cared less where she went. If she had to go, she just went. The bells help, but be prepared that once they learn they ring them a lot til they realize they also need to learn to HOLD it for longer periods of time. I agree that you need to catch them doing it IN th house to let them know you are not happy, but do the big ole happy dance outside when they go OUTside. Give treats if needed. Josie relied on getting the treats, Maddy never cared, he was happy because I was happy. He NEVER associated going potty with getting treats, but he sure loved it when I was happy. I did the crate training for both but was more diligent with Maddy and it was a huge success. Stacey will attest to the value of the crate training, it helps them learn to HOLD it also, plus associate that they have to go OUT to potty before they can play or eat or anything. ALWAYS take them out FIRST thing when getting them out of the crate. They must learn that. For Suzie, if she is afraid of the crate, how about making an xpen smaller so it is similar to the crate but no top....just a thought. Oh, one more thing about the doggie door. I feel you really need to go out WITH them to be able to know for sure they went AND to do the happy dance.... Hope this helps to get your pups out of the doghouse....DogHouse.gif