I'm in a quandry...

We recently moved to a new house and I'm in quite the quandary.

Keep in mind that Izzy was born on 12/16/07 so she's about 13 months old at this point, still considered a puppy I imagine?

The last 8 months, we have been in a transitional state, where we rented a house that had mostly a tile floor and a carpeted upstairs. She peed on the tile floor once, and pooped every once in awhile in a bigger tiled room that we didn't use. However, she consistently wanted to poop in my daughter's and son's room. She also peed multiple times on the carpet right at the top of the steps.

The house we moved from, which I owned was much smaller and it was much easier to stay on top of her. Both the rental and this house are twice the size of my original house.

So with the current home that I just closed on a couple of weeks ago, I'm absolutely terrified to let her go free in the house. Besides, I believe that's where we've made the biggest mistake all along is letting her have free reign of the house to begin with. So right now, it's cool outside and we are keeping her in the kennel in the garage, because she'll bark like no tomorrow if we put her in the laundry room.

For the most part, we have her on a pretty consistent routine when it comes to going outside to go to the bathroom. Once in the morning, once when we get home and later at night after we eat. On the weekends, we have let her go out about every 2 hours. So the schedule for her is pretty consistent.

Our new house has brand new carpets, new furniture, new kitchen/bath and I am absolutely terrified that Izzy is going to make a mess of something. I love her to death, and I don't want to keep her in the cage all the time but what's the best thing for me to do? Even if I put up a baby gate to keep her within the confines of the laundry room, if she doens't see us, she's going to bark like crazy! What's the happy medium that you all use when crate training your dogs? I feel bad if I keep her in the crate too much, and I have to pay dearly if I let her roam the house. She has even done it right in front of us multiple times! Cleaning the carpet and removing the smell helps quite a bit, but she falls back into the routine.

Basically, is there a light at the end of the tunnel for crate training? It's like we've done it for a year and sometimes she starts having some good stints... and sometimes she has some really bad stints. When will I be able to trust my precious Izzy like I do the cat not to make a mess of our home?

Any advice or direction is quite welcome at this point. My wife is exhausted with Izzy, and I'm really on edge. On top of all this, we have two kids that keeps us on edge as well.

Go back to stage one. Potty training all over again from step 1. And remember if you lapse, she will lapse. 9 times out 10, its normally the humans fault in not catching them in time.

Always follow these steps: Potty time after you wake up, after eating, after playing, before bed and at anytime you cant keep your eye on her, crate her.

I got lea trained in 3 days like that. So far very few accidents normally my fault. Im still working with Bert day by day and here he has the bigger bladder! lol

It sucks that you have to crate them so much but you could try the teather method of always keeping a leash on her whenever you move from room to room she goes with you right by your side. I also suggest shutting all the doors to seperate rooms, such as kids room, bed room, bathroom, laundry room etc...and dont put rugs down until she is 100% trained.

Crate her and train her not to bark in the crate is probably the only way your gonna be able to crate her successfully and not get a headache.

First Crate her while you in the same room for a while and show her that is a good place to be with or without you. Then walk out of the room and dont come back until she stops barking, then let her out and give her a treat. If she barks when you walk out of the room, turn around and walk back out. Until she successfully stops barking when you enter the room to let her out do not give in. You have to train her to like the crate, make it her den, her bed etc... Toys, treats you name it. I feed my pups in their crates when they see the food bowls, they hop in on their own. They will also go in on their own when they want to sleep and prefer a soft spot. So try feeding her in their and close the door. And 30 mins later take her to potty.

I hope that helps

Russ..I'm with you. I can't bear to put Payslee in a crate when I'm at home. I feel too bad about it, because I haven't seen her most of the day, so I want to spend as much time as I can with her once I'm home. I shut all the doors, and block off areas with gates and such where I can keep an eye on her. I also take her out ALL the time..now granted Payslee is only 14 weeks old, but they say little dogs are the hardest to train, so I'm trying to get it right..I however, am also failing when it comes to catching them in the act..by the time I catch her, its too late..and last night she pee'd on my bed! I have no idea why she did that since thats where she sleeps! Blargh! Its so frustrating!

I agree you need to go back to potty training 101 and be very consistent. Dogs thrive on pleasing their people but inconsistency can make them a Nervous Nelly and not know what to do or what is expected of them, creating a potty nightmare. Be very straight forward on your expectations. Always take her to the same place to potty. Use a leash to get her to the area and keep her there. This identifies for her the place where it is okay to potty. Use some sort of voice command to let her know what you want her to do. I say "Go Potty".....all of mine know exactly what I want them to do when I say this and will potty on command. If she fails to potty outside, take her inside and put her in the crate. Try again in 10 -15 minutes and repeat until she has success. Once she has pottied outside let her have some freedom in the house but not full access to the entire house. Keep a close eye on where she is and what she is doing. Feeding on a schedule can help you know better when to expect that she needs to go. I always verbally praised mine for going outside....some people use treats as a way to praise. Never over react to accidents....a firm "NO NO" and a trip outside to the proper potty area is enough reprimand. I think the new house, new carpet thing adds a different level of stress to the whole potty training thing. Don't let that stress be transferred to Izzy. You want to create a dog that is confident and obedient. She needs to know what is expected of her and what to expect from you. Two weeks of potty training boot camp can work wonders. Hang in there. A bit of consistency and hard work on your part and you will reap the rewards of that precious little girl. :signthankspin:

phprclYEaPM.jpg

enchantedmountain

Ditto, Ditto, and Ditto. Start over. This is not unusual when you move. Most babies have to be retrained when you move. Dogs are creatures of habit. Just start from square one and she will do fine. Keep in mind the process should be a little shorter since she kinda knows what the processes are (most likely). Good luck and Congratulations on the new house :)

gizmo's mom

You've been given lots of good advice. Start over.

Don't let her anywhere near carpet. Close the doors and use gates. No rugs.

Don't let her out of your sight. Use a tether or gates to keep her with you whenever she's not in her crate.

Hrmm... at least I'm not alone in these struggles. I figured by now she would be trained. Other people that have dogs don't have these problems with their dogs. It's like somewhere along the line a switch was flipped and their dog rarely ever does anything like that in the house unless they truly had an accident.

Our fuzzy goggie is exhausting us.

First of all Russ, :hug: on the new house, all new stuff, how wonderful. Secondly, you have been given very excellent advice. I might add two things, if you have carpet in the room you "hang out" in, do try the tether. I attached a leash to the leg of a coffee table so she couldn't run all over the place. Secondly, you might try the bells and really make a happy dance when she rings them (of course you will have to ring it for her to start), she will love the praise and then associate that with going OUT to potty and again the happy dance when she does go outside.

Good luck, keep us posted.234.gif

Our fuzzy goggie is exhausting us.

Your not lone Shih Tzu owner...

I'm at my wits end with training Suzie..

But I have to keep on her...

Sometimes it takes longer for some than others.

I have noticed from everyone's comments since being in this group as well as other forums/groups I have read posts at, Shih Tzu's, though an adorable breed are pretty hard to train...but once they GET IT...I understand they truly GET IT.

Now, if only Suzie would GET IT...

Good luck with yours too.

But just know, your not suffering alone...

Also, congrats on the new house...

It's going to be wonderful...

Sunlite

Emma was the hardest dog I have ever had to train in my life. She wasn't trust worthy free in the house till she was almost 2 1/2. Having her, I understand fully why some get frustrated and give up. She will be 7 in June and will still, sometimes go where she's not supposed to. :hug:

Each time, we go back to potty training 101.

clemaster03

I have only had Max now for two days, and hes doing ok, but He does seem to go anywhere when I let him out of his crate or out of the utility room. But I know that he is just a pup and I am going to have to work with him. Crate Training can be hard but it pays off, When I first put Max in his crate he cryed and tried to get out, but we had it in the living room with us while we were watching Tv, He calmed down and that was it. At night he doesn't make a sound. You just have to let them get use to it.

Christy

I prefer using baby gates in the kitchen when I am not hope with a pup. Trudy did great in the kitchen when I was not watching her, or when I had to go out etc.

By 8 months, she was doing great. We took the gates down not long after that.

You can get the nice big puppy pen too.

PICT0976300.jpg

Edited by Sally

The baby gate works great when we are at home. But sometimes we run into an issue when she can no longer see us then she starts freaking out barking wise. But perhaps that's where the barking training would come in to play!

Yes, just start with small amounts of time wherever she goes, and build up. Don't make her do it all at once if it is new to her. A good walk each morning will be very helpful to expend some energy and make her happy.