fire drill training

This training takes two people. One to press the "test button" on a fire alarm, and the other to call the dogs.

How you start is both people are prepared- major treats in hand for the one that is going to call the dog. The one person presses the tests button- IMMEDIATELY THE OTHER PERSON RUNS to the nearest door where most of the dogs are at the time, and starts calling in a happy, silly joyous voice. As soon as they come, immediate treats. For such an exercise I use a treat like hot dog pieces or something ( they really like those). WAit a while repeat the drill same thing. Remember to make a game of this being the best " game" we ever thought of. Third time- slip a lead over the dogs head and go outside- ANOTHER treat. After this, you use different doors. You are teaching the dog when that noise goes off to them to find you at one of the doors. Remember in a real fire you may not be able to access the most used door. I also trained mine to follow me to a window etc.. Also have slip leads at doors and I keep slip leads in each bedroom just in case I have to get out a window. ****REMEMBER- in a real fire your voice would sound panicked- its HIGHLY important to discipline yourself to keep your voice the way it worked with the drills. *** Secondly- if the fire alarm goes off-- this includes burning toast etc, you must STOP what you are doing and do this drill.. Remove the dogs to a save place, then get the alarm shut off... You never want to teach your dogs to ever ignore this sound.. And if you get a different alarm type, retrain the dog to that noise. And ALWAYS slip lead the dog on this exercise so they never learn to return back into the home. Remember- in a fire you may not have time to fumble with attaching a lead to a collar.

My dogs are also trained " CAR" and they will run to the car.

I pray I never have to use this training, but if it happens- we are ready. ..

/edit- I also keep a set of car keys and a house key at each door.

Michelle, that is really very important advice and something that shouldn't be too difficult to train, but would save the lives of our furbabies. :D

Michelle, that is really very important advice and something that shouldn't be too difficult to train, but would save the lives of our furbabies. :D

God forbid you ever need it but the one time you would- it would pay for itsself. It also works like if you have to leave a house suddenly- say carbon monoxide or uh any reason- ie it = the training training means- I need you NOW AND ISNT it great to to do it... We had a false alarm two weeks ago. The CO2 alarm went off in the basement- I hit the alarm ( I retrained them to answer the security alarm) and we left the house... Turned out it was no big deal and quickly fixed- but what if it wasnt? Use an usual treat- something realllllllllllllly special. We know in a real emergency- you dont have time to grab treats- but the job is done to get out of the house.

Wicket's mom

Wow, i would have never thought of this! Thank you, this will be a drill that's next on my training list.

Make it a big YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOO game .. even a false alarm you still play " the game"... ie this is bes=est game mom ever invented and the best treats worth any fear...

Edited by borzoimom
FairyTail Josette

Good advice.

If there is a fire while we are not home, I have a sticker on the outside of each door for fire fighters stating "LIVE ANIMALS INSIDE" with the number of dogs we have. I got them from The Humane Society, they're free.