Keepum together or give them each a condo?

ralphies angels

I have two females Molly and Penny both just under 5months old. Currently they stay in on small crate as we are well on our way to potty train. They are doing wonderdful with almost no accidents in the house and seldom have an accident in the crate over night. My girlfriend and I are firefighters and have a great deal of time off. We are committed to house training the pups, because I don't do the pee pads. :(

We also started puppy classes at PetCo. We were the stars of the class. :thumb: Had to BRAG!

Anyway, there currently in the typical small black metal crate. Okay for now. Half the crate has a crate pad and the other half has a folded towel. They are cozy in there and seem to be perfect for potty training. However as they grow they may need the next size up.

I was wondering if I should just get another small crate for one of the pups and leave them together side by side? Or get a bigger one and alow them to continue to stay together?

There scheduled to be spayed in March. Thought keeping them seperated in thier seperate crates would be good for post OP. becuz when they play, they play hard and don't want them hurting themselfs after the surgery.

Molly also is the alph of the two, and will tend to lay on or near Penny. At times they cuddle but other times I get the idea that Penny would rather just be left alone.

Any recommendations????

I think I would let them have their own personal crates. Just to avoid any potential problems in the future.

Mine liked to be in their crates together, but then Rally also liked having a place he could go that was just his own.. So like when they went to the groomers, or to the vet, they were crated together, but then at home they each had their own house..Sometimes they just want to get away from everything and go sleep in their own place, and for that I would say, at home at least, get them one of their own..That way they can make a choice on whether or not they want to lay together, or take some time apart..

A crate for each, side by side

Absolutely never underestimate how relationships can change. My girls Pebbles and YaYa were best buddies until one day for no apparent reason I could see, they started ripping each other apart. It was scarey how vicious they were towards each other. Had I not stepped in I am certain one would have been seriously injured if not killed. Seperate crates but side by side. :puppy::puppy:

phpBnJ5LZPM.jpg

Yep most definately a 2nd crate.

I thought like you my Lea and Bert would enjoy the same crate etc... Bert being the man he is lol Loves to lay all spralled out with everything showing lol And when Lea was in the crate with him, they just didnt seem to have the room. We have two crates now, with three dogs. Maci just goes in one of theirs during the day when she wants to nap. But at night they all sleep with us anyway.

I also feed both of my pups in their crates that way I can tell who's getting how much. Cause before Bert would eat what lea didnt. And I feel this is helping her gain a bit of weight too. As her tummy seems much more "firm" than it did before.

If for whatever reason I have to leave the house quickly for a few hours... I just put Maci in with Lea.

A crate for each, side by side

Absolutely. I use vari-kennels as they are more den-like, but the type of crate is up to you.

ShihNanigans

Hmmm...I guess I am the odd man out on this one. All three of mine go in the crate together. I bought Rocky's way too big (not understanding with the first that smaller and cozier is better). Then when we got Lu I bought the next size down for her, which is probably still a little big. I always had them alone in a crate when they were not trained enough and still had accidents in the crate, figuring it wasn't fair to subject the older one to that. But, once Libby Lu didn't have any more accidents in the crate, she really decided she wanted to be with her brother. She would run in with him when it was time for us to go. Bogie did the same thing with the other two after a while. I find that they are much calmer in there together when we are gone--no barking or any signs of separation anxiety at all. They can tell when we are getting ready to leave when we turn the radio on. We say, "let's go in the hut," and they all march in and wait for their treat.

You're not the only one, LOL. I think you should get the bigger crate and keep the smaller one. If you need to separate them you'll have an extra. If they like being together and things are working, why change it. Your girls are well behaved, so you must be doing something right.