WHY the pee on things that are soft?

Okay, for some reason Payslee pees where she sleeps.. ALL THE TIME. Most dog owners always say "A dog never wants to soil where it sleeps".. well I've found that to be JUST THE OPPOSITE for Payslee..She will get a new bed to lay on..love it.. nap on it.. roll on it..eat treats on it..eat a bone on it.. then 2 hours later.. Pee on it. She pee's on my bed almost every night..Keep in mind my bed is where she sleeps.

She knows what 'outside' means..I will take her outside, she will pee pee..then I bring her back in and say "Okay Pays night night".. and 10 minutes later she is peeing on my bed.. and then after I get it all cleaned up, stripped sheets, comforters..etc.. she's like "Ahhh..night time..so sleepy" and goes right to bed. Some people might think its the smell of urine that is causing her to pee on stuff, but there will be BRAND NEW beds that have never had any dogs, or anything on them..she will still pee on them. Basically anything soft, be it blankets, beds, etc she will pee on.

She DOES NOT have a urniary tract infection..we've already pursued this avenue with the vet..so does anyone have any other reasonings or suggestions to this? I can't figure it out..but I'm running out of sheets at this point! I don't crate her at night because I've always let my dogs sleep with me and never had this problem before..I welcome any suggestions though because its making me batty!

LOL.... Maybe its time to start crating at night (just until she straigtens up)

She evidentally is not emptying her bladder all the way. Or she may think she's a male and is marking her territory..... lol

CrazyTzuLady

Delila went through a faze like that, she would go out and pee and then get on my bed to go night night and she would pee again. I swear she was marking her territory.Brat! :D

That sounds like what happened when we first got Izzy and thought that it would be a good idea to let her sleep in the bed with us at first. Then the whole house became her bathroom, so the crate training began.

gizmo's mom

i think at this point i'd start crating. at least until she's old enough to hold it or know that that's not the place for her to "go". every dog is different, so you may have to try something different with her. i know when gizmo was a puppy he would pee on anything soft/carpet/blanket/pillow. this went on for just a day or two before we nipped it in the bud. he was not allowed on anything soft unless so closely monitored that the second he hit the "pee position" we snatched him up and ran him outside.

never leave her unmonitored and i'd recommend not letting her sleep with you until she's older and learns.

ShihtzuBeauty

I have to giggle even though it's soo Aggrivating! :D Ever since JoJo was a baby and he'll be 3 in Feb. he's peed on Every bed I've brought home. :D I thought he would eventually outgrow this but he's not going to I know he's doing it to mark it so the other 3 can't have it. I've given up on bringing home anymore beds.

Barb, how did you stop it? And Melissa, do you still let them sleep with you?

PS-Payslee is in an EX pen throughout the day and does great with her pee pad..and she is also crated if I have to leave for more than an hour at the time..She does fine in there if I don't put any blankets in there..if I do..Pee on them when I get back. I'm not sure I can make it through the crating at night issue..I've tried and she screams for hours on end..I get up at 3:30am each morning, so that would be pretty horrific for me to live through.. and if you watched the video of her, you can tell she is extremely stubborn.. and extremely VOCAL!! ahhh!

Edited by kcsheperd

I feel for you KC! :D

I am going through something similar. One of my babies has been peeing on the couch and sometimes the bed when we are not around. We haven't worked out who the culprit is yet, they only do it when we are not around and have forgotten to put their "nappies" on.

Fingers crossed you can get her "sorted" out!

KC..

How big is your bed?

Maybe you can put her in her crate and set the crate up NEXT to you on the bed like where a spouse would lay next to you...

Then when she starts to whine, you can stick your fingers into the crate and shhhh her quietly and keep saying over and over..

"Night Night Payslee...Payslee Sleepy? Her go night night.."

I do that (not the the crate in the bed thing, as Suzie doesn't potty on the bed anymore...) but I will say...

Suzie getting sleepy? Go night night.. Suzie Lay down and go night night."

I say it in a very baby like drawn out tone.. Like " Suzie Go Niiiight Niiiight..."

and her little eye lids start flickering and she'll calm down and finally go to sleep.

But, this way she's still close to you, can see you, feel you when you stick fingers in crate and hear you talk to her..

but does not have free roam to pee on the covers, etc....

Just a thought...Maybe crazy...but???

Edited by Apeke
ShihtzuBeauty

They don't pee in my bed anymore yes all 4 sleep w/us. It's only the dog beds that I bring in he marks constantly.

Vicki.. I really wish you lived closer, because you and I think alike! I've already tried that.. I put a 36' high crate IN MY KING SIZED bed to try to get Pays to sleep in it..She has confinement issues and the second you try to zip it up..she starts whailing..Meeeeeeah..Meeeeeeah.. So I stick my hand in..bite..oww! Dammit.."Payslee.. night night my sweet bird.." then she drifts off.. Okay, now I will zip it up.. ziiiiiip..sooooooo slooooowly..shhhh.. Meeeeeeeh meeeeeeeeeeh! Unzip.."No No Pays..Nighty Nights..mama Loves her wittle biscuit"..Payslee drifts off..z i p z i p...Meeeeeeah! Meaaaaaaah! Aww hell..

I know many of you will disagree with me on where dogs should sleep, but IMHO they need their own beds, dens, crates. It keeps them safe and it is easier to travel with them. Crate training is a slow process, not a quick fix, pups need to take their naps in their crates, be fed in their crates and have open access to them during the day. If you go slowly at first without closing the crate door, then close them in for a few minutes at a time they will learn that it is not a prison, but a nice place to be. If they have confinement issues i would go back to crate training 101.

As for the peeing issue, dogs instinctively seek out soft absorbent material to urinate on, so a puppy is hardwired to do so and has not yet learned that not all soft material is peeable! If a pup is peepad trained it makes it even harder for him to differentiate. Until a pup is completely reliable it should not be allowed on furniture or free range in the house. It needs to be confined in it's x pen, crate or leashed to you. Tzus are often slow to learn potty manners and you need oodles of patience and consistency. In my house the leaders have the best beds and the dogs may only be on them with us if they are invited, they have their own beds on the floor and they are very happy and content with their place in the pack.

I know many of you will disagree with me on where dogs should sleep, but IMHO they need their own beds, dens, crates. It keeps them safe and it is easier to travel with them. Crate training is a slow process, not a quick fix, pups need to take their naps in their crates, be fed in their crates and have open access to them during the day. If you go slowly at first without closing the crate door, then close them in for a few minutes at a time they will learn that it is not a prison, but a nice place to be. If they have confinement issues i would go back to crate training 101.

As for the peeing issue, dogs instinctively seek out soft absorbent material to urinate on, so a puppy is hardwired to do so and has not yet learned that not all soft material is peeable! If a pup is peepad trained it makes it even harder for him to differentiate. Until a pup is completely reliable it should not be allowed on furniture or free range in the house. It needs to be confined in it's x pen, crate or leashed to you. Tzus are often slow to learn potty manners and you need oodles of patience and consistency. In my house the leaders have the best beds and the dogs may only be on them with us if they are invited, they have their own beds on the floor and they are very happy and content with their place in the pack.

I do have to agree with you mostly. During the day their crates are their homes etc... the doors are always open, they are fed there (with the exception of maci)

I have had no accidents in days with Bert which is a big step up. So far so good, they only peed on the bed once per pup. After crating them to expand their bladders and potty training they know now that outside is potty, regardless of wet, snow etc...

I really dont like potty pads as I have seen some dogs who refuse to go outside, my ex used potty pads for his two dogs.... one was a shihtzu beagle mix and then the pups father Bluebies. When I was staying with him, i thought pads were the nastyiest things all because he was too lazy to take the dogs out. I would take out Blubies when I took maci out and finally got him to the point where he knew outside was potties, but after I left him, he didnt keep up with it. So some people are lost causes when they are extremely lazy.

That is the thing i like about dogs vs the cats lol is the dogs goes outside to potty. And its not nasty inside, i never felt this way until after i got maci lol.

KC

Have you tried putting her crate in the expen with her while your gone? This is how I got the pups crate trained with no whining and worry. I put it in their with a towel for comfort on one side of the pen, left the door open. the pads were on the other side. They sought out the crate for their bed on their own.

Then one day we decided to try and see if they would whine if we shut the door. Nope not one whimper.... at that point we knew they were trained. When we first started letting the dogs sleep with us, Lea peed on the bed once... at that point we said nope not you, your sleeping in the crate. She never whined a bit because they were used to sleeping in it. Bert got to sleep on the bed. I dont know why he pee'd on it the one time but have never had an issue with him since as far as sleeping on the bed.

But during the day while im sleeping (sleep from 5am to 1 or 2pm during the day) If the pups wake up to tell me its potty time at like 11am.... when I come back in, in the crate they go and i go back to bed. If i put them back on the bed, they get all hyper and wake up hubby.

I do think if you gradually introduce the crate in that manner, you'll crate train her alot easier.

enchantedmountain

The problem with a pen and pee pads is they never learn to "hold it". They always have a place to pee and even though they can hold it, they don't cause they never have to. Some babies the x pen works, but with the majority, I would say it doesn't. Mine do not sleep with me until they are about 1 yr. They are crated every night. They may use a pee pad, but unless you have one on your bed, she doesn't get the part where you have to hold it until you see a pee pad. The reason I crate them during the day also, is for that reason, they first need to learn they can't pee when ever they feel the urge. The only way they will learn that is the crate (IMO).

Barb, how did you stop it? And Melissa, do you still let them sleep with you?

PS-Payslee is in an EX pen throughout the day and does great with her pee pad..and she is also crated if I have to leave for more than an hour at the time..She does fine in there if I don't put any blankets in there..if I do..Pee on them when I get back. I'm not sure I can make it through the crating at night issue..I've tried and she screams for hours on end..I get up at 3:30am each morning, so that would be pretty horrific for me to live through.. and if you watched the video of her, you can tell she is extremely stubborn.. and extremely VOCAL!! ahhh!

So yes, she is in an EX pen..I haven't crated her throughout the day when I'm at work, because its usually going to be 6-8 hours, and I don't think she, being 16 weeks old, can hold it that long..and as for crating when I'm home, I do if I leave the house, but if not then I am just with her, and take her out anytime she acts like she might need to go..she goes, then gets a liver treat..Really the only ISSUE TIME is at night..RIGHT before she goes to sleep..She'd doing pretty good house-wise..she has accidents, but I've caught her, and corrected her..its just the bed thing or anything soft on the floor..so if I don't have a pet-bed out, or a soft blanket out, she usually does okay throughout the house.

CrazyTzuLady

KC I really did'nt do anything to get her to stop she just stopped after a few times of doing it. I did scold her and take her right outside when I caught her but that was about it. I know some disagree but I figure there is a reason they make bedding washable. :D I was just never good at the crate thing and I don't regret that. Mine have carseats in the car for when we go places so the crate is not an issue to me. JMO

ETA: All 4 of mine sleep with us everynight in our queen size bed and we would'nt have it any other way.

Edited by CrazyTzuLady

i've been having the same issues, Lily cries all through the night if I crate her, and I needed sleep, she doesn't come up on the bed with me though, not until she's big enough to jump down and know that when she has to go she has to get off the bed and go. But what I ended up doing was confine her to a single area. She's allowed in my room at night, I have the door open, and the hallway blocked off so she doesn't have free-reign over the apartment, there are two pads in the bedroom, one is Bunni's and one is Lily's just until she's completely potty trained. And she sleeps on the floor, I have a blanket down for her and I have not had one problem since I started doing this. She goes on the pad everytime, she doesn't even whine anymore (she did at first until she got the hint that she wasn't coming up) she goes to sleep, she'll get up and go on the pad, and go back to sleep. She'll occasionally play with herself, since Bunni sleeps on the bed. But she knows she's not allowed on the bed yet. Eventually she will be, but she peed on the bed a few times and I don't want to have to wash the bedding 3 times a week. And during the day I confine both dogs to the kitchen, block the doors off with a baby gate and have the pads laid out for them. Sometimes I can work long hours and didn't want lily in a cage for a really long period of time, I do have the crate in the kitchen so she can sleep in it, but when I had her crated she just peed in there and wouldn't hold it at all. So now she has a little more freedom and the potty training is going much better than with the crate training.

hope this helps! Now I just need to get Lily to stop playing on the peepads...

• 10 years later...
tarin_elise

I have a baby girl English bulldog. She is a week shy of being 1y6m. When she was little everyone said to try and potty train her with the pee pads. She only peed on them a few times, and the rest of the time she'd rip them up like it was a toy or something. Ever since then we caught her squatting on area rugs, etc. She gets crated every single night for bed time and whenever we leave the house, and has since day one (we got her at 8wks old). I went through a time of a few months where I took big blankets and cut them into smaller pieces for her to have something in the lay on at night. I eventually got sick of washing them because she would pee on it and lay in it. So I started just having her lay on the plastic bottom tray of the crate with no blanket. She hasn't peed in there since. We never did any official dog obedience training (which I'd still love to be able to do at some point sooner than later). 

Edited by tarin_elise
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I got a yorkie and he pees on rugs and blankets.  However, can go all night and not pee in my bed.  I put pottie pads every where he's peed on rugs.  I put a blanket and potty pad in the crate and he chose to go on the blanket for him to sleep on.  I don't get it.  Any suggestions????

• Like 1
Crinkly

We have been dealing with the same with our new pup (she is a pug cross, not a Shih Tzu, but it is the same problem).

She will pee and poo outside, if she happens to be there, when she wants to go.  But she prefers to find something soft - a pile of laundry, a rug, a doormat, a pee pad, the one room with a carpet...

In the end we have put a puppy gate across the door to stop her getting at the carpet, lifted all the rugs and doormats, and just have two pee mats down, just inside the front and back doors.  In time, we will move them outside.

It is a bit frustrating, because she is actively searching for soft fabric to pee on, and will actively avoid the tiled and wood floors, yet she doesn't 'get' the going outside idea.  

Ah well, she is improving gradually, and can now spend the night on the bed with us without any accidents.

• Like 1
Marlene

"It is a bit frustrating, because she is actively searching for soft fabric to pee on, and will actively avoid the tiled and wood floors, yet she doesn't 'get' the going outside idea.  "

She doesn't want the urine to "splash" on her legs/belly if she pees on something hard........so she looks for something soft that will absorb the urine immediately?  In my experience that is common with females.  Males lift their leg (hopefully) and squirt it away from their legs (hopefully).

• Like 2
Crinkly
20 minutes ago, Marlene said:

"It is a bit frustrating, because she is actively searching for soft fabric to pee on, and will actively avoid the tiled and wood floors, yet she doesn't 'get' the going outside idea.  "

She doesn't want the urine to "splash" on her legs/belly if she pees on something hard........so she looks for something soft that will absorb the urine immediately?  In my experience that is common with females.  Males lift their leg (hopefully) and squirt it away from their legs (hopefully).

Now that makes perfect sense!

• Like 1
Marlene

I had a foster Boxer puppy (female) who was doing a good job at becoming housebroken.....but I kept finding urine in places that were "strange".  One morning I was watching her drink and could see a slow, steady drip of urine hitting the floor.  Turns out she had an etopic ureter which was bypassing the bladder.  She did everything right - she "assumed" the squatting position to pee (and did), was starting to ask to go out (8 weeks old) and pottied when I took her out or on a walk.  

She was adopted by an amazing young woman who has handled her problem for many years.  

12 minutes ago, Crinkly said:

Now that makes perfect sense!

It may be worse in Jasmine because she is short haired and more aware of "splashing" than a fluffy Shih Tzu who doesn't immediately feel the warm urine hitting their belly and legs.

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...
Kristin8119

I have a 5 year old dog who never had a problem until the last 9 months. She will pee where she sleeps IF there is a soft surface under her. Ie a blanket. The couch, etc. she is crate and house trained and use to sleep in our bed until she started this. She can control it when she is i the crate and no blanket so no UTI. It is very frustrating and we are moving and I don’t know what to do while renting While we sell and buy  and I can’t afford for her to pee on our stuff. Esp at a rental. I feel we will have to rehome her and she is the best dog we have ever had. This is our only problem.  Any suggestions?