More Growling Questions

Wally's Mommy

Ok i spoke about Wally's growling in Kellbella's post about growling but we've run into a more severe growling.

Last night i was sleeping in bed with wally (he was awake). James came in to go to bed and wally got up and walked to the edge of the bed while James walked to his side, so he followed James walking to the other side of the bed. I was still sleeping. While Wally and James walked to the edge i did not wake up then when James went to get into the bed Wally started growling very aggressively, it woke me up! His growl was so aggressive it sounded like he was a rabid raccoon. So James did the Alpha male trick, from ceasar milan, and held Wally down on his side. He held his hand over Wally's neck but wasn't applying any pressure and wally wasn't fighting back. it took a good 30 seconds of me telling wally to stop and James holding him down for him to stop. he still got a few quiet growls out until James got under the covers. Then after a bit of wiggling around on his back like a goof ball he gave his dad a kiss came over to me and laid down, in between us, in a way that every possible inch of his back was touching a part off my body.

I'm beginning to think he is getting possessive of me and the growling is aggression/jealousy towards my boyfriend. Do you think this could be it or could it just be a Shih Tzu speech? He never bites and he only growls at James when he is getting into bed. what's the deal?

He does growl when playing squeaky toy but it's a playful growl not an aggressive one.

This is aggressive growling and you need to nip it in the bud. Since you are the one he is "protecting", you are the one who needs to do the following:

As soon as Wally growls at your bf, you should (gently but firmly) grab the scruff of his neck, give a quick shake with a firm, "NO", and then pick him up and place him on the floor: then ignore him for several minutes. He can get back up after a few minutes, but at any sign of aggression towards either of you, repeat as often as necessary (I had a friend who spent the better part of a night this way after her bf moved in with her a few years ago...NOT fun but necessary).

The rest of the time, BOTH of you need to practice NILF so Wally understands that although he may be tops in your hearts, he's at the bottom of your pack order. Tzu are wonderful dogs but they CAN be stubborn to a fault and the more alpha they fancy themselves the more vigilant you have to be or else they turn into little terrors. Our Gus would be an absolute tyrant if we hadn't been practicing NLIF from the second he came home. (Just between us gals, he's a bit of a tyrant anyway. My DH is a wimp.)

Wally's Mommy

O i didn't think about that i thought i should have James do the alpha male thing, but really it's me. Makes sense if i let him know i don't need protecting he won't feel the need to protect me.

Just one question what does NILF stand for?

He sometimes will lay on his back in the submissive position and growl at James, at bedtime again, is this playful or aggressive? The on the back growling isn't as "rabid raccoon" like as last night's growling.

I agree with Pam. Get that little bugger off the bed when he does that. He needs to know he is not the boss of either of you. He thinks he is alpha because unknowingly you gave him that role. As soon as you and James take on that role he will give up and be a happy dog.

NILF Nothing in life is free. Something like that. They have to earn everything, even dinner.

Edited by chacha
Wally's Mommy

James is going to be very upset that this is Alpha male behavior! Sometimes when I come into the room when they don't see me James will be lecturing Wally about how HE is the alpha male and Wally is the dog! He follows Ceasar Milan's recommendations 99% of the time, he even makes Wally wait to walk out the door until James has passed threw.

It's very strange though that he only does this in the bed. Any thoughts on why only the bed?! Any other time of the day Wally is very calm and submissive.

Do you think we aren't doing enough to make ourselves pack leaders throughout the day or just in bed.

Also James wanted to know do you think he's protecting me or trying to claim the bed?

Thanks so much.

When I moved in with my exhusband for awhile... his tzu (the pups father) is very very possesive over him. No one and I mean no one can get close to him without him having a fit. He got used to me but it took awhile.... But he would growl if I kissed him or touch him in anyway where He thought I was going to hurt him. My ex had to make him stop it, he's tried alot of things to stop it, but evidentally not the correct way or would have stopped by now.

I hope and praying that Lea doesnt pick this behavior up in her genes. She really my only barker which she took after her father! She also has his features, which has me worried.

According to victoria stillwell, do as Luna suggested and anytime he gets this way put him on the floor immediately and ignore him, if you keep doing this eventually he will pick up that If im good I get to stay up there.

Sugar Daddy

Don't you love it when they sleep along your back, my Angel does that, in between my wife and I. :blush-anim-cl: It has been my experience that male dogs can be very possessive. Hope you get the "family" in one accord.

Yup...

Nip it in the bud.

It may too be that he's not protecting you but possessing you.

He's trying to tell your BF that you belong to him and BACK OFF BUDDY..LOL

But regardless, you do need to set the pecking order with him and let him know without fail

He is not the alpha..you are and soon you'll see a change in him

Suzie tried that with me and Corkey (My Chocolate Peke) when we got her and I had to sternly show her, that actions and behaviors that show any signs of aggression ARE NOT TOLERATED in my house.

She's tried it with me on occassion when it was time to brush, bath, etc...when she was younger,

But now that she knows she is no longer the one who calls the shots, she actually jumps up onto the couch, where we usually do our nightly brushing routine on her own free will.

All I have to say is: "Suzie..com'on baby..let's brush" and up onto the couch she comes.

Grudgingly, but she comes..LOL

Good luck and stay firm.....

Edited by Apeke
GizmoHappyKitty

Gizmo used to get possessive like that with the other dogs, but not with people. If i was sitting on the sofa watching TV and he was sitting next to me, if either of the other 2 dogs would come near me or want to get on the sofa too, he would go after them. I would just grab him and tell him no and tell him if he can't be nice he's not allowed up here with me either and I would put him on the floor. Then Kitty would get up on the sofa and a few minutes later Gizmo would get back up and curl up next to me again and he was fine. After doing this a few times he no longer acts this way when the other dogs want up, but Kitty still won't get up if he's up here with me unless I give her permission or pick her up, she's still afraid he's going to come after her.........hehehe.

Michele and the pups

Wally's Mommy

Thanks for all the advice he didn't growl last night but i didn't let him come to bed with me. James and Wally hung out on the couch while i went to bed. When it was time james brought him in put him on the bed and aside from walking all over me he was well behaved so i guess thats the way it'll have to be done if i go to sleep first.

I tried taking a nap with him during the day and he growled at James and i was so out of it, I'm not an easy waker-upper, that i couldn't discipline him and James' discipline doesn't seem to make a difference...