Petsmart Training Classes?

Wicket's mom

I'm taking him to a local place here in Quebec, but from what I hear the Petco classes are really similar. Good luck with Pokerface's training! Sounds like he's already off to a good start :closedeyes:

Pokerface is still really young I think, Wicket is currently in the second level classes where they're supposed to be at least 6 mos old. I took him to the kindergarden classes when he was yournger which were mostly for socialization and the instructor gave us basic tips on anything we were having trouble with/wanted to know.

TheShihtzuation

After our fun (cough) adventure at the vet today we had our first puppy class scheduled. The trainer called me last night and told me it would just be Pokey in the class for the first week - if we were still interested or not. Although he's a super quick learner.. we decided to give it a go anyway.

The trainer was beyond impressed with Pokey and how he already knows "down" and "sit". The plus side to being a lone with her.. we were able to solely focus on Pokey's main problems.. and how we can work to correct them. It really is more like people training as I was doing a lot of the work!! haha But Pokey really enjoyed it and it was good to get his mind off of his ears for an hour and a half.

• 2 weeks later...
TheShihtzuation

Ugh. I wish I would've just listened to everyone here.

Last week Pokey's class was cancelled because apparently the trainer was "sick". Thats ok.. because that was the day Pokey was sick too.

So today we go at 5, as scheduled. We're standing around for a good 15 minutes.. still no trainer. Finally a PetSmart worker walks up with the training cart. She asks if I'm being helped.. and I say "we're waiting for "Sally" the trainer.." and she says "OH, ok.. " and walks away!

10 more minutes go by and the same lady comes over to us and says "OK HANDSOME! So are you ready for your class?" :huh: So we go in the room, again.. it was just us and the trainer. She says something about how "Sally" was offered a job at a vet's office and that "Gabby" (the replacement lady talking to us) told her "yeah, definitely take it.." blah blah blah.

I inturrupt her and say "Wait, so are you saying Sally no longer works here?" Yes yes. Thats what she's saying... HUH? WTF? So why did she act halfway clueless 15 minutes ago when I said I was waiting for Sally? So now I'm already a little miffed, because we really liked Sally - and she involved us in EVERYTHING she was teaching Pokey.

Homegirl doesn't even introduce herself to tell us her credentials or anything and shes like "So is this your first class? What did he learn so far?" :uhm: So I said "He knows sit, down, high five.." so she says well let me look at the PetSmart book to see what I should be teaching. HUH!??!?! RED ALERT!

"OH, take it / leave it.. ok" She starts getting him to sit and using the clicker but she was doing it backwards.. clicking while she was giving him the treat.. instead of clicking while he was performing the task. I was in such shock I just sat there.. I regret now not speaking up.. I really should have.

From here to there... she basically walked him in a circle a few times (he passed that with flying colors).. gave him like (3)5 minute "brain breaks".. tried to teach him take it/leave it.. and then gave us homework. The class was a little under 25 minutes long and we walked out dumbfounded. Last week the class was well over an hour!!!

I feel bad asking for someone else.. but seriously, the class we just did shouldn't even be considered part of the 8 week program. It was kind of a joke. Hmph.

Wicket's mom

OMG, I can't believe they did that to you and poor Pokey. Sounds like this "Gabby" lady doesn't have a clue what she's doing and may have confused him more than anything else. I think if I were you I would ask for a refund and take him out of those classes. This might even be something worth taking up to the Petco manager. They can't just not tell you what's going on and then send some random girl that has no idea what she's doing to take over the class!

kcsheperd

Oh gaw! What a pain in the bazunga.. I think Puppy classes would be fun, but I don't know if I could take two at the same time? Payslee is a fast learner, but she also jumps and flails all the time..she has a hard time sitting still which I need to work on..I dont think I could 'teach' them both stuff at the same time with 5 other dogs around them..I'm working with them on a daily basis, but Payslee has A.D.D.. lol.. They know 'sit' 'down' 'tell me' and 'up' but I need to work on 'leave it' and that one is going to be very hard for Pays!! So are you going to keep going to dummy Gabby?

luvinpreciousntoby

OH Wow.. Loved that video.. Awesome job Trudy!!!

I put my lil girl in obedience class,,, but I found she did better with me just working on her one on one. She is VERY treat oriented.. so will do just about anything for a little nibble of the good stuff. Like your Pokey,, she only comes when she's ready too.. I've read this is just part of the breed, they can be a little stubborn. She knows go potty, sit, down, back, situp, leave it, dance, give me five, easyyyy. It's mostly repetition that works for me. and I tried the clicker, but like others, I'm not coordinated enough to click, treat, hold leash, and pay attention, hands get all fumbled up. So instead of click, I use a word,, my word is GOOD, I say it with emphasis every time as soon as she does what I ask. then treat. She has learned this word, in that tone is a great thing and a treat is coming.

Good luck with your smart lil pokey.. I hope others enroll in the class for you, as the socializing is so much fun!

Thanks for the video Sally! My little boy has that same little piano! He loves it. Lucy can sit and she does pretty good when I tell her to come to me. And my DH has taught her to go down our stairs by herself. She can started going up a few days after we got her but last week she learned to go down all by herself. Lucy is also treat driven and learns quickly. I started teaching her lay the other day. Oh and she can fetch too she has been doing that since we got her really.

TheShihtzuation

What's weird is the names listed on the paper PetSmart gave us in the beginning has Sally's name AND Gabby's name.. but maybe its a different Gabby? I just cant decipher how she didn't know the curriculum ... or how to use the clicker! At one point she was like "You know what, I'm not going to use the clicker for this.. I think its too distracting.." which is understandable, because it is hard to navigate the clicker, the treats, the dog, etc.. but being a trained trainer.. you should have that down by now, no?

The gooooooood thing about it, we're paying $118 for an 8 week class and both classes so far have just been us in the class (it's a recently opened PetSmart, by the way). A private one hour one on one class with a trainer at our PetSmart is $89 for one hour.. so we're kind of getting a deal in that aspect, but.. hmm.

Yeah - I think I'm going to ask for our money back. He's so smart both "trainers" have said he should at least be in the beginner class, rather than the puppy one.

Olly-Bears Mama

Petsmarts classes are guaranteed, so I'd go in and get my money back, or tell them you'll come back when they hire a new trainer. That is the problem with Petco/smart, their turnover is high. Merphy's been through Intermediate, but both the trainers got different jobs. Their last day was supposed to be Merphy's graduation day, but they just stopped showing up. But, I went in the other day and found that I can take him back for a free "refresher" course. So, I'm going to do that, since ever since I've had Oliver, Merphy has unlearned his commands. And Oliver definitely needs some training.

Trudy, that video is great!

Edited by Olly-Bears Mama
TheShihtzuation

Petsmarts classes are guaranteed, so I'd go in and get my money back, or tell them you'll come back when they hire a new trainer. That is the problem with Petco/smart, their turnover is high. Merphy's been through Intermediate, but both the trainers got different jobs. Their last day was supposed to be Merphy's graduation day, but they just stopped showing up. But, I went in the other day and found that I can take him back for a free "refresher" course. So, I'm going to do that, since ever since I've had Oliver, Merphy has unlearned his commands. And Oliver definitely needs some training.

Trudy, that video is great!

Ughhh. Thats so sad to know... I mean, it's good about them giving free refresher classes.. but the whole trainers leaving mid-"semester" is such a downer. We've been so busy here haven't had a chance to call yet.. but I'll keep you guys updated. Pokeys going to have to miss an upcoming class soon because of his neutering.. and by that time he's considered "too old" for the puppy class anyway (he turns 5 months on March 9th!!). At the very least I think they should allow us to start in the "beginner" class.. and I'll ask beforehand for the trainers name. If it's Gabby.. then its time to put up a stink to just get our money back.

Thanks everyone for your input!

berrytzus

I've heard a lot of bad things about Petsmart training and some good things. My best friend took her dog to a one on one Petsmart training class and the trainer was extremely unprofessional. She would keep her waiting for a long time, like 20 minutes and then not even doing an hour of training after that. She counted that 20 minutes of my friend waiting into the class. :blink: The worst part is that she was THERE, just a few feet away chatting. When my friend mentioned something about making up the time she seemed surprised that she would be called out on being late.

Over the next couple of classes the trainer wasn't prepared and just re did stuff from the week before. My friend ended up stopping the training because it was pointless. She called the manager of the Petsmart and getting a refund for the remainder of the sessions. Then the trainer had the nerve to call my friend and left 2 messages chewing her out. What the heck?!

From my own experience, I've been shopping in several Petsmart when training was going on. I would cringe at the mistakes the trainers were making. They would repeat "sit, sit, sit sit sit" when the dog didn't sit. You are NEVER supposed to just keep repeating the command. It teaches the dog that they don't have to listen. So depending on your training method, when the dog doesn't listen the first time you either don't give the treat, wait and then try again or physically put the dog into a sit and then praise them. That's just one example...

There was one trainer at Petsmart though that was REALLY good. I saw him several times and he just had a way with the dogs that was awesome. He always had his own dog there too. The dog would heel off leash, keep a long down stay during the entire class, etc. It was a very energetic Pit Bull and he had the dog's full attention.

TheShihtzuation

I've heard a lot of bad things about Petsmart training and some good things. My best friend took her dog to a one on one Petsmart training class and the trainer was extremely unprofessional. She would keep her waiting for a long time, like 20 minutes and then not even doing an hour of training after that. She counted that 20 minutes of my friend waiting into the class. :blink: The worst part is that she was THERE, just a few feet away chatting. When my friend mentioned something about making up the time she seemed surprised that she would be called out on being late.

From my own experience, I've been shopping in several Petsmart when training was going on. I would cringe at the mistakes the trainers were making. They would repeat "sit, sit, sit sit sit" when the dog didn't sit. You are NEVER supposed to just keep repeating the command. It teaches the dog that they don't have to listen. So depending on your training method, when the dog doesn't listen the first time you either don't give the treat, wait and then try again or physically put the dog into a sit and then praise them. That's just one example...

Both times -- even with the trainer we liked initially, we ended up waiting at least 20 minutes. My mom said that this "Gabby" lady probably added that into our time since she was done so quickly.. and don't forget all the "brain breaks" she kept taking..

And thanks for telling me about the repeating of commands!!!!! For the "take it/leave it" I swear she for 15 minutes straight she stood there with her shoe on a treat (ew!) just saying "leave it... leave it... leave it... leave it... leave it... leave it... leave it... " etc etc etc. You really expect a hungry puppy to leave a treat (or your shoe!) alone? Geeesh!

berrytzus

Pupstuff- That is so similar! Do you live in Virginia by any chance?

As far as repeating commands. I think "leave it" is different than a command like "down" or "sit". I could be wrong, but with something like "leave it" or "stay" it's something that's continous. So saying it again is a reminder to keep doing it. With something like "sit" you say it and the dog either does it or they don't. I've never really thought about that before though. I wish that we had a training expert here so they could confirm or deny my guess!

TheShihtzuation

Thanks again everyone! We live in Jersey.. so maybe it's just a PetSmart thing! LOL

So an update on the latest in the PetSmart saga...

During my impromptu nap today my mom and Pokey took a trip to PetSmart. She asked to speak to the manager and explained to him how we loved the first trainer, and we're very sad to hear she doesn't work there anymore.. "Oh, she still works here..!" :( "Yeah she just cut her hours back, she still does a class on Monday nights!"

!!!!!!!!!! So why in the heck would the new replacement trainer lady lie to me and say she doesn't work there anymore at all!

So.. my mom continues on.. saying how the trainer this past week was late and the class was only 25 minutes long (the manager just rolled his eyes.. kind of like he heard this complaint before.. ) and how both trainers mentioned that Pokey seems too smart for these puppy classes.... not to mention.. he turns 5 months old tomorrow!!! So technically.. he's not a "puppy" anymore! (If they haven't cancelled 2 classes on so far he'd still be a puppy! LOL)

She said the guy was completely understandable and said he would have absolutely no problem refunding our money.. But.. he asked for my mom to give our original trainer a call first tomorrow to see what she thinks we should do or if theres a way we can work something out. The class she teaches on Mondays is a 'beginner' class (next step up from puppy) but they're already in their 4th week! So -- I'm definitely not going to put Pokey into that particular one.

So we shall see what happens next.. I'll be sure to keep you all updated!

Edited by thepupstuff