Petsmart Training Classes?

TheShihtzuation

We were told once Pokey turns 4 months we can take him in for free training.. but OF COURSE they're booked for like the next 4 months (just another example of how they're bs-ers.. grrr).

I feel like I'm losing precious time training him. All he really knows is "You hungry?" "go peepee" "come here" (--> which actually he only listens to 50% of the time). Everytime before we take him outside we say "do you wanna go out?" but he doesn't seem to be picking up on it yet. Like, he doesn't get excited or run to me when I say it like Klepto does (granted, Klepto's been hearing this the past 11 years.. but still!) Even when I get his leash and coat.. which he should associate with going out.. he's just blahzay and goes back to chewing on whatever it is he's chewing on.

I see that Petsmart offers the Puppy Training classes.. does anyone have any experience with them? I was going to take him to the free potty trianing seminar they had last week but a family thing came up and I couldn't make it.

What about online training sites.. or videos. Does anyone have any particular favorites? Or tips on training?

Oh! One more question.. does anyone use the clicker method of training?

:uhm:

You can maybe ask your vet..They come in contact with all sorts of people who bring in their pets, etc..I bet he/she may know someone, who may know someone, and so on..LOL

Plus, yeah...google puppy obediance training and that should bring some search results as well..

I also have the Yahoo Browser toolbar, so when I don't see what I am looking for on Google, I'll search through the Yahoo browser and sometimes I get totally different results there...

ShihNanigans

All he really knows is "You hungry?" "go peepee" "come here" (--> which actually he only listens to 50% of the time).

If you can get a Shih Tzu to listen to "come here" 50% of the time, I'd say you're already way ahead of the game!! :)

TheShihtzuation

If you can get a Shih Tzu to listen to "come here" 50% of the time, I'd say you're already way ahead of the game!! :)

:dede: Yes, I've read they are pretty stubborn, aren't they? hahha. But for now I don't mind going to pick him up and physically bringing him to me if he doesn't listen on the 18th try. lol

Thanks Apeke.. I'll give them a call to see if they can recommend someone. :)

I am taking Alice to basic training right now. We have a local training center nearby. I am lucky as they have been great. I signed Bob my lab up for Agility training just for fun. It's been so cold and I can tell he is getting very bored. Alice starts Tuesday and Bob starts next Friday.

AMEN to THAT!

I've been at PetSmart a time or two when they were doing puppy kindergarten and it seemed as if the instructors had it together pretty well. I always get a kick out of watching when I come across one of these because invariably there are no two dogs of the same breed and some tiny little Toy is kicking butt with the big dogs in the class, lol. Half the purpose of puppy classes is to socialize the pup, and it seems like this is a nice way to go about it at a reasonable price.

Remy took the Petsmart intermediate class because our regular club did not do classes during the summer. I thought the instructor did a good job. There was only one other dog in the class so there was lots of one-on-one.

I realize that most tzus are stubborn but Remy LOVES doing obedience work and really excels at it. Petsmart works on the basics (not competitive obedience) but we both had fun in the class.

I tried clicker training but found it hard to juggle the leash, treats,and clicker while paying attention to the dog and myself. A firm"YES" seemed to work just as well- and I tended to forget and misplace the clicker. That said, I know lots of people who swear by it.

Good Luck!

Edited by silverleaf
ShihtzuBeauty

our rescue still thinks his name is go potty

:):hysterical: :hysterical:

little paws

I work at petsmart, Our dog trainer is great, she is very wonderful with dogs, all breed and sizes. she trains also for your personal life you wont to have at home with your dog,

We are very lucky to have her. good luck sandy

TheShihtzuation

LOL @ "go potty". That is a cute and unique name though, you must admit. :) If we got a girl pup I was going to name her "Kitty".. just so I can say "here kitty kitty" and then a cute wittle doggy come running.

I work at petsmart, Our dog trainer is great, she is very wonderful with dogs, all breed and sizes. she trains also for your personal life you wont to have at home with your dog,

We are very lucky to have her. good luck sandy

I'm sure prices are different across the US... but what do basic puppy obedience classes run at your store? I'm going to head over tomorrow anyway to check out our prices, would just be interesting to compare!

FairyTail Josette

I'm sure prices are different across the US... but what do basic puppy obedience classes run at your store? I'm going to head over tomorrow anyway to check out our prices, would just be interesting to compare!

I hope you don't mind me answering this question, too.

I was just in Petsmart last week and saw 8 wks for puppy obedience training is $109.00 plus tax. I live in the midwest.

Edited by Chocolate Shih Tzu Candy

I took Paddington to Petsmart about two & a half years ago for one of the beginning training courses & I paid a little over $100.00.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience & Paddington had a great time.socialicing & learning the sit, stay,leave,etc,Overall it was well worth the money. I had every intention of going to the next level but circumstances prevented me from being able to .(Broken Ankle).& I have never gotten around since to sign up for it.My husband has said that we should have taken Penny,we still might.They also guarantee if they dont graduate from the class you can take it again for free.anyway I would highly recommend it.

TheShihtzuation

8 weeks for $108 sounds pretty reasonable! I'm on such a budget lately and Pokey has been blowing it left and right. But it'll be so worth it in the end. We never took our other dogs to any kind of training. The only thing I was able to teach them how to do was to sit, beg and sing. haha.

I think I'm going to do it, thanks everyone! :blush-anim-cl:

OH! I just want to mention I think we're making progress with the "do you wanna go out" thing. After lunch I gave him some playtime and he started barking at me.. so I went to get my coat and he got all excited and tried to jump up to me. I said "you wanna go out?" and he just sat there and looked up and let out a bark!! YAAAAAAAAY!

Maybe everyday I should come on here and complain about something hes doing (or not doing) and then the next day he'll do it!! hahaha. Though, I'm sure that was just a mere coincidence.

Edited by thepupstuff
  • 2 weeks later...
TheShihtzuation

We were all set to take Pokey to his first class tonight at PetSmart.. and as we're walking out the door the phone rings.. It was Petsmart!! They said we were the only ones that signed up for this particular class (geez, nothing like waiting til the last minute to tell us! haha).

Anyway - the lady was super nice and said we could still bring him in for one on one.. or we can wait til next week to see if more people sign up. So.. we're going to wait. I'm so anxious though!! He seems to be super smart - they may want to advance him straight to college.. like Doogie Howser. haha (Ok, he's not that smart..)

Is Pokerface treat driven or love driven? I've found that if they are 'treat driven' you can teach them just about anything..Payslee is 18 weeks old and knows "Sit" "Down" "Tell me" "Touch it" "Give me your paw" and "Wait".. she will also now ring the bells, or go to the door when she goes to outside..but she is treat driven, so it was pretty easy..Sawyer is loving treats MORE, so now I'm making him work on "Down" and "Sit"..He's caught on pretty quick too..I dont use a clicker, but I've heard they work..I just could never keep up with one to use it! If you have the time, I'd say work with him on your own, and spend the $100 on treats or a cute outfist! lol..Seriously though, I could see where a puppy class would be a good socialization time/teaching time..so I guess its just a personal preference! I just work with mine daily, because I'm hoping they will eventually be therapy dogs..

TheShihtzuation

Is Pokerface treat driven or love driven? I've found that if they are 'treat driven' you can teach them just about anything..Payslee is 18 weeks old and knows "Sit" "Down" "Tell me" "Touch it" "Give me your paw" and "Wait".. she will also now ring the bells, or go to the door when she goes to outside..but she is treat driven, so it was pretty easy..Sawyer is loving treats MORE, so now I'm making him work on "Down" and "Sit"..He's caught on pretty quick too..I dont use a clicker, but I've heard they work..I just could never keep up with one to use it! If you have the time, I'd say work with him on your own, and spend the $100 on treats or a cute outfist! lol..Seriously though, I could see where a puppy class would be a good socialization time/teaching time..so I guess its just a personal preference! I just work with mine daily, because I'm hoping they will eventually be therapy dogs..

I'll give this a try kc. Right now he's trained with lovee (awww). I don't really give him too many treats since he's eating 3 times a day still.. (actually we've been varying and cutting out lunch somedays.. he doesn't really seem to miss it too much!)

I saw that the Puppy Class teaches them potty training (which he pretty much already gets the gist of).. how to walk on a leash (which he picked up on his own as well..) and the other basics. So it very well may be a waste of money! Thanks for showing me the light! haha I'm just trying to do everything right with him... but maybe this isn't neccesarily what he needs!

Edited by thepupstuff

Oh, for sure I would say if you can do it, save the money. I would love to post a link to a video of Sally's Trudy in training. Sally, would you post the piano girl for all to see, JUST ONE MORE TIME p a l e e e s e???? I don't want to post without asking first, but it is a link on my desktop

Anyway, it shows how Sally trains Trudy with the treat method and if you get to see it, just look at how she listens for mommas every word and obeys so nicely. I have used that video for inspiration....but mine are still kindegartners compared to Trudy. (yea, I am singin Trudy's praises, but darn, I LOVE that video).

193.gif

TheShihtzuation

Oh, for sure I would say if you can do it, save the money. I would love to post a link to a video of Sally's Trudy in training. Sally, would you post the piano girl for all to see, JUST ONE MORE TIME p a l e e e s e???? I don't want to post without asking first, but it is a link on my desktop

Anyway, it shows how Sally trains Trudy with the treat method and if you get to see it, just look at how she listens for mommas every word and obeys so nicely. I have used that video for inspiration....but mine are still kindegartners compared to Trudy. (yea, I am singin Trudy's praises, but darn, I LOVE that video).

193.gif

Oh yessss.. Sally wherever you are, PLEASEEEEEEE share!! Any and all videos of how others go about their training I would absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE to see!!!

Okay, Sally gave me permission to post her video. I hope this link works okay. Just watch how she is so consistent with her training and how Trudy responds to her commands. I have loved this video since Trudy first posted it months ago. I hope it helps your training efforts.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Sal...PianoPlayer.flv

if the link doesn't work, you may have to cut and paste into your browser..I sure hope it works, if not, maybe Sally will have to help us.

Thanks Sally...

Edited by catnjr
TheShihtzuation

Cathy - thanks so much for sharing that.. and Sally of course thank you! Absolutely adorable!!!!! I wonder what Sally is using for treats?

I was trying cheerios today but it takes Pokey longer than 3 seconds to eat one! haha

Edited by thepupstuff

I was using sweet potatoes there I think. I dry them, but not too dry. For treats, I always use carrots, apples, sweet potato, or Nat. Balance dry food, Venison.

Her meals are canned so I can use the dry for treats.

I have other videos. She loves to do tricks! She just learned to MARCH and it is hilarious! I need to get that on tape. I have to keep thinking of new things because she loves to learn. She loved it from age 9 weeks!

Oh Sally, please, please share any videos of that sweetie Trudy. You are such an amazing pair, I love to watch AND to hear your bird in the background just adds to the thrill.

Wicket's mom

Oh my goodness, I have never seen a marching tzu! That must be soo cute Sally.

I'm currently taking my Wicket to obedience training, he's learning the basics, proper leash walking, come, stay, automatic sit when you stop walking, lay down command from the side and from face on, heel. I agree with the others though, if you can get this down w/o the classes it may be a waste of money for you. For me it's great though, Wicket is my first dog and I'm still learning how to teach him things.

TheShihtzuation

Oh my goodness, I have never seen a marching tzu! That must be soo cute Sally.

I'm currently taking my Wicket to obedience training, he's learning the basics, proper leash walking, come, stay, automatic sit when you stop walking, lay down command from the side and from face on, heel. I agree with the others though, if you can get this down w/o the classes it may be a waste of money for you. For me it's great though, Wicket is my first dog and I'm still learning how to teach him things.

Are you going through Petsmart/Petco or a local training school? I'm with you -- Pokey is my first actual dog that's MINE. All my previous dogs (including Klepto) were more of my mom's dogs.. where she took charge with everything.

Over the weekend I bought this book on sale at Barnes n Noble (Dog Tricks) - it uses the clicker method which is great because I bought a clicker back in December but never used it!

Pokerface is such a quick learner.. I taught him "down" in about 6 minutes!!! I can't wait for my mom to get home from work so I can show her.. haha. But he's still not really understanding what "NO!" means.. grrr.

---

And Sally!! Please take video of your baby marching!! :closedeyes: