male or female and marking territory, plus rescuing

I have looked around here a bit to see if anyone else was already talking about this. I am searching for a dog that will actually be my Mom's dog. But it will still be a part of the whole family. We have both always had girl dogs in general regardless of breed. Now we are looking for a shih-tzu that will have the run of the house alone, so we don't have to worry with what sex will get along best with existing dogs. But I would like to know which sex tends as a general rule to make the best pets. When we first started to look, Mom said a girl, then I started hearing interesting things about boys and thought this would definitely be the place to ask. Our other concern was accidents on the house. If a little girl has an accident, it's a spot on the carpet, if a little boy lifts his leg, its a spot on the couch corner or on a piece of furniuture. WHich leads me to question 2, if a male is neutered late, as in a rescue male who was originally used for puppy mill breeding, do they usually lift their leg and mark their territory? My mother-in-law has an unnneutered bichon/maltese I think and he lifts his leg on everything including the furniture. he was never trained well and she has some elderly problems and her daughter bought her an untrained puppy and it wasn't good, but she loves the dog, he has a good home, but he ruins things in the house.

This dog would be a constant companion for Mom who is retired and she just wants a snuggle bunny who she can love who will sit on her lap and love her. We love all dogs, so whatever makes her happy will make us happy too. we have a fenced in yard and live in the country and I work from home, so it will have almost constant company plus can go anywhere with us that is it feasible to take it. i would love and appreciate any advice. We are looking for a rescue dog, she doesn't want a puppy and even thought I know breeders put a lot of time and money into their dogs, she is retired and just does not want to spend $800 plus on a puppy. She would like a slightly older than a puppy -dog who is slightly less expensive. We had some concerns over doing a rescue because unfortunately so many of the small dogs come form puppy mills, but we figure of we check them out and spend a bit of time wiht them that we should be able to hopefully tell how well they have settled into regular home life. Any suggestions here to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time, Julie

I cant say in this decision......

But if your going for an older dog, but not a rescued dog, you generally shouldnt have many problems.

Most of us here potty train our dogs to go outside. And they generally dont have accidents after they are a year old. But if you rescue, they could have all sorts of problems. You'll never know with them, they are like boxes of chocalates. It takes alot more time and patience with those kinds than it does if you get one that comes from a good breeder. It does not matter the gender in that case.

Ive got two girls and a boy. My boy squats to pee and he is unaltered at this time. He is 6 months old. Since there is no other males in my household he may not even mark at all. But I will buy a belly band in the event we go to someone elses house or if needed here.

All males who is never ever going to be used for breeding needs to be neutered asap. Its better to get them neutered prior to 6 months of age. If you do this chances are you'll never have a marking problem to begin with.

Their are good breeders out their with older males who they are retiring from their program and they would generally be cheaper than a puppy and 9 times outta 10 should be neutered already before going to a new household.

I personally love females, my husband loves males. That part is a preference to your own liking.

Girls are more independent and like loving in their own time and way but yet can be all loving especially in single pet households, this just depends. The boys usually play *alot* more and snuggle longer when you want lovins.

But if you ask us all, we are definately going to say shih tzu.

Before you get him..if you opt for a boy...make sure he was fixed at an early age, as this prevents him from hiking his leg when pottying. and knowing he's fixed he won't spray in the house or be tempted to MARK everything as territiory..

As for what sex to get?

I have had both and they have both been dolls.

My first fur baby was a little tiny cream Pekingese (Bridgette R.I.P. baby girl) and she was an only (child-pet) for the frist 1 1/2 of her life and I had her since she was 6 weeks old. She was gentle, loving , cuddly and sweet....and then a year later we got Corkey (also a Pekingese)..we had him neutered at 4 months and he has never developed the HIKING his leg thing and never sprayed anywhere.

He too is gentle and loving and a cuddle bug, but he's the clown.

Now we have Suzie the Tzu and she's NOT a cuddle bug or gentle in nature..(meaning)...

She's full of spit and fire and orneriness...LOL

But she is a very good girl and we love her.

Personally? Based on what I have thus far experienced..I think boys are easier to potty trian than girls..But I still love girls regardless..LOL

So, all breeds differ and all sexes of breeds differ..

You just have to select one that fits in the family lifestyle and home life it'll be living..

Good Luck and let us know what ya'll get ok?

Edited by Apeke
CrazyTzuLady

First off welcome to Chatter! :hysterical: I have one rescue and one owner surrender. My rescue, Thai who was just over 1 when we got him, cannot be neutered because of his heart and lung condition but never marked until Huey (owner surrender)came along, Huey was not neutered when we got him at 1 year old and immediately started marking in my house. No matter what I did he would'nt stop so he was fixed pretty soon after we got him. Since then he has stopped marking altogether in the house outside is fair game for all three of my boys they all lift their legs to pee. Until I got Huey neutered though I used the belly bands the only draw back with them is the white hair around his belly was stained yellow until it finally grew out so I could cut it off. If you already have one dog marking in the house my guess would be the new one would to. The only other thing I have found is Huey has a very dominant personality and tends to start fights with the others, I am not sure if that is because he was neutered later or if something happened in his old home or what. With a rescue you never know what you are going to get but I think with Love and patience the one you choose will be a perfect companion for your mom. Good luck and please keep us posted.

As for the boys or girls, you really can't go wrong either way some are more cuddly than others Thai and Huey are big time cuddlers, Gizmo is when he wants to be and same with Delila.

Edited to add: Gizmo was fixed young and he still hikes his leg so I am not sure I agree that if they are fixed young that they don't hike their leg. JMO

Edited by CrazyTzuLady

First, your choice of a Shih Tzu is great! They are the most wonderful little dogs, and if kept in a short clip even the grooming is a breeze. In answer to your questions:

Marking is not limited to males. Dominant females will mark just as surely (and far more sneakily). A boy marking while hiking that leg is VERY obvious: a girl marking (while in something very much like a sitting position) isn't spotted so easily. It may be "just a spot on the carpet", but if you don't catch it immediately it's just as troublesome! I've had boys and I've had girls (I currently have both), and they will ALL mark if they aren't trained to overcome whatever stimulus it is that urges them to claim their territory. For instance:

Our rescue Katy is absolutely reliable in the house (ANY house, unlike a certain boy I could mention) UNLESS I put down a nice big pillow bed. Those she will pee on immediately to try to claim them for her own - she's at the bottom of our particular pack order and that's her way of making a special spot just for Katy. I couldn't break her of it, so our dogs no longer have nice big fluffy pillow beds. Instead, they took over a sofa. No one PEES on the sofa, but if we want to sit there we have to kinda shove dogs around to make room, there is a lot of doggie grumbling involved and we usually end up covered in dogs and move for comfort's sake anyway. Luckily, we have two of them. Sofas, that is. :hysterical:

Likewise, the preference for sex isn't as important as the owner's bond to the particular dog. For the most part, I prefer the male temperament ("...boys are sweeter, girls are smarter...") but there is an exception to every rule and I really don't feel the sex of the dog is that important in most cases. I wouldn't give our Katy up for ANYTHING, and she certainly defines another old dog-ism: "There's a reason they're called bitches." (My DH says it's a case of like-likes-like...just before he ducks.) She's my baby girl, after all!

I think that what you are looking for is a particular rescue dog. You will want one (male or female) that is past puppyhood and already house-trained (a puppy mill rescue can be trained well by a good foster home and will have already been neutered, so don't let the whole puppy mill rescue thing faze you as a rule). This doesn't mean one can expect the dog to know automatically that it shouldn't eliminate in the house of course, but if the dog is taken out frequently so it knows where it's supposed to "go" for a week or so it should prevent accidents in the house promptly. If your Mom is older, you may want to steer clear of "special needs" dogs that have ongoing medical or psychological issues that take a LOT of money/time/physical intervention to control. If there are - or soon will be - small children around, the dog needs to be able to tolerate them.

It may take some time to find JUST the right one, but by working closely with your local rescue you should be able to find a darling little lap-sitter with great house manners and a minimum of other issues who will delight both your Mom and the rest of the family involved for many years. Good luck on your search!

ETA: I forgot to mention that early neutering doesn't necessarily prevent the famous leg-lift. I bred and exhibited Pomeranians for quite a number of years, and for the most part my boys started experimenting with (and quickly mastered) that around 4 months of age. Since most Toy breeds aren't neutered until 6 months/5 pounds (whichever comes first, like the warranty on a car lol) they are generally already skilled at hiking that leg as babies!

Edited by Luna

Well I have a 10 year old Lhasa, who was a BREEZE to potty train..its my girls that have been problems! Sawyer is 17 weeks..Payslee is 18 weeks..Payslee is doing pretty well with it..and Sawyer is catching on QUICK.. As for personalities..I had a 10 year old shih-tzu (RIP Sweet Pandora) who was a darling..Very squishy, and always up for a hug, and LOVED to be carried around and to sit on your lap.

My Rally will sit on your lap as long as your petting him, but quit and he jumps down. He is also the most well-behaved dog ever..He is so gentle and sweet to everyone he see's, and never aggressive, or ugly to anyone. He aims to please. Sawyer is a love bunny..he will cuddle and let you carry him and hold him and squish him..Then there's Payslee.. good lordy, Payslee.. lol.. She likes to be held, and hugged, but its all on her terms..At night if she's sleepy she wants to be with mama, but during the day she is running 100 mph around the house bothering Sawyer and Rally...barking and flailing about..

So I dont know for sure if you can tell the kind of dog you are going to get by the sex..I would say by seeing them and interacting with them, then you'll be able to make your decision. I'm not sure exactly where you are located, but there are some surrender dogs at KIJIJI and you can put in your zipcode and info, and also on petfinder.com where you can check the want-ads for surrenders..Thats where I saw a couple that were about a year old..So you might try that. I've got two sweet boys, and a sweet, but wild girl! lol.. 180.gif

Edited by kcsheperd

Edited to add: Gizmo was fixed young and he still hikes his leg so I am not sure I agree that if they are fixed young that they don't hike their leg. JMO

I was just told that when he was a pup, by his breeder and the vet, and so since I never had a male dog before, relied on their knowledge and as for Corkey..

They were right..and now he squats like a girl... :hysterical:

And LUNA?

I had NO IDEA girls can mark territory..

That is very Interesting to learn....hmmm..wow!!

I have heard of the belly bands and heard they are great training tools and preventive tools for the boys...

CrazyTzuLady

I was just told that when he was a pup, by his breeder and the vet, and so since I never had a male dog before, relied on their knowledge and as for Corkey..

They were right..and now he squats like a girl... :hysterical:

I was told that to but have since figured out that it is'nt always the case. Maybe mine are just "special" :hysterical:

I wish all three of mine squatted like girls! :hysterical:

Yours are special alright..

And I wouldn't mind taking every one of them off your hands..girly squats and all... :hysterical: <~~~~ uh? uh oh...oops..sorry, my husband threw that at me..

Sorry Honey...I won't offer to take more babies ever again...(NOT) lol

I'm so sorry I haven't responded. This page wouldn't load since yesterday early. I was getting a little worried I wouldn't get back on. Anyway, I have started checking the kijilli(sp). It's sad to see all the people who are just breeding whatever two dogs they can get together. I called about a few but they were all gone. I will keep looking. i went to the pound today for a shih-tzu, but they thought she was actually more lhapa apso because she was probably close to 20 pounds, and we want something smaller for Mom to be picking up. And gut feeling was that it just wasn't there, personality wise. She was sweet and he said she'd be adopted by the end of the day. But, not the right dog. SO we keep looking.

I'm not sure if Mom will want a boy or not, that will be up to her alone. Thank you so much for all the posts on your experiences. I look forward to spending more time here. Julie

CrazyTzuLady

Yours are special alright..

And I wouldn't mind taking every one of them off your hands..girly squats and all... :sleep_1: <~~~~ uh? uh oh...oops..sorry, my husband threw that at me..

Sorry Honey...I won't offer to take more babies ever again...(NOT) lol

LOL your so sweet. :noway:

I didn't know and only went by what the guy at the shelter told me. It was too big for Mom anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered. She really wants something small enough for her to pick it up easily. So the search is still on. Julie

Now ya'll are probably gonna throw a shoe or something deadly at me..

But have you considered maybe a Chiuahua or maybe a Maltese? They stay fairly tiny and light in weight..

Maybe a Yorkie?

At any rate..

Good luck and let us know when ya'll have gotten that SPECIAL little fur ball of love for mom....