Whats your furbaby's sleeping situation like?

TheShihtzuation

I had this super long post but I realize I don't need to write an essay with every question!! haha.

So .. where do your baby's sleep? And at what age did you allow them to not sleep in the crate.. and maybe sleep in a sectioned off little area (giving them more room to sprawl out..)

I'm currently trying to decide if we want to get Pokey a playpen.. an expen.. or something else, maybe a bigger crate. He's doing great and hasn't had an accident in his crate in a little over a month.

We just recently allowed him to have full run of the kitchen at night .. with his crate, loveys, and blankys in there and a baby gate.. But I feel bad because in the kitchen he can't see anyone else in the house. So far the separation hasnt completely bothered him and he slept thru the night.. but I'm still a mommmy and I'm still worried he'll be traumatized by it.

Klepto usually just sleeps on a couch and is allowed to roam thru the apartment at night.. but obviously, we're not going to allow Pokey that right til quite a few months.

Edited by thepupstuff

I shut my bedroom door, and everyone sleeps with me.. I know, I know.. I was supposed to crate, and I will probably wish I did later, but Payslee just raised WAYYY to much hell for me to try and sleep (since I get up at 3:30am) through it..So I put her in bed with me, and for the first 2 weeks it was a nightmare..Only because she would PEE on the bed...but she quit doing that (thank you) and now she is good to go. I started Sawyer off in a crate, but then realized (probably like Poke) he doesnt even MOVE in the night.. lol.. Just lays down and SLEEEEPS.. So I took him out of his crate and put him in bed with us too.. Rally, of course, is at the end of the bed, and the babies just kinda lay around him...So far, Payslee still has to get up Once in the night, but she comes over and puts her paws on my face like, "mama..need to pee".. and we go out..I take Sawyer out too, but I think he could hold it all night..(He is bigger than she is)..

As for the EX pen..Thats what mine are in while I'm at work..They are still too small to hold it for 8 hours, so Payslee is in the EX pen in the kitchen, and Sawyer is just 'in' the other part of the kitchen with a baby gate. I put Puppy pads on the floor (held in place by duct tape) and they use those until I get home..So far..so good!

My dogs can sleep basically where ever they want too. Lindsey is still young so during the day she is basically confined to the dinning room area and kitchen. Not reliable yet enough to go into the parlor or the living room. ( persian rugs in there..). So she has a rug, comforter quilt, a pillow and thick towel. Zubin and femka can come and go as they wish, but the rest of the time really they like to sleep on one of the couches in the living room or parlor. Or sleep on their double pillow top mattresses in the room next to ours. Lindsey right now still sleeps in a crate in our room. There is a bed and water bowl in there and goes right to sleep. About 5 months old she will graduate to sleep on the mattresses with the other two.

Our master bedroom has a small reading room off of it. I keep their crates in there and thats where they sleep. The doors are kept open during the day and they have access for naps and such. When they were pups I kept their crate beside my bed so I could hear them if they needed to go out or just needed comfort in the middle of the night. If they cried or whimpered I would just put my fingers through the wire and tell them "shhh" to let them know I was there. They would quiet right down. As they got comfortable with being here and being in the crate, I slowly moved it closer and closer to the big dogs in the next room. By the time that they graduated to the puppy room they were well adjusted to the crate and slept through the night. :D

CrazyTzuLady

Lets see Delila sleeps between our pillows at the top of the bed. Thai is usually right below her then Gizmo under the covers at the bottom of the bed and Huey is usually right on top of me. I love having them in bed with us and so does hubby, we would'nt have it any other way. Although I did tell George if he brought any more Tzus home he was gonna have to get his own bed. LOL

We did try the crate when Giz was a pup that lasted about 2 or 3 days and daddy caved (can you tell who the softy is here?) and he has been in our bed every since as each of the others came along they just started right off in the bed. For a while Thai liked to be under the bed at night but not anymore he decided that he wants to be where everyone else is.

ShihtzuBeauty

All 4 of mine have always slept in our bed. :D

FairyTail Josette

We crated Cody when he was young and hubby caved too, and started putting him in bed with us when he was 4 or 5 months old. Mandy slept with us from day one and never had accidents. Josey, we kept her in an x pen in the kitchen, as this is what her breeder did, so, she was fine with it, and she started to sleep with us around 5 or 6 months of age. Again, it was hubby that started it.

All three of ours sleep in bed. Mandy sleeps on her own pillow between me and hubby, Cody sleeps next to hubby, and Josey sleeps ON TOP of me, on my stomach, I'm used to it, now. (I've never had a furkid that wanted to sleep on top of me.) When I wake up, her head is right next to mine, I love waking up next to my furbabies. :blush-anim-cl:

Maci has always slept with us from the day we got her, but she was 3 years old when we got her.... The only time she slept in crate was when she was in heat and we didnt have a diaper for her. She also had a period of time when she slept in her crate while pregnant because one night she fell off the bed and I thought she'd hurt the babies inside her, so thats when she started sleeping in crate until the pups were almost weaned.

The pups started sleeping with us about 3 months old. First it was Bert because he was more reliable to Lea, but slowly she became reliable and now the all sleep with us.

Lea usually is the one that wakes me up to potty, but for the past two days she's let me sleep until I woke up! Thank god! I think her bladder is getting much stronger now as she isnt having to potty as much as she did.

Lets see,Paddy & Penny both sleep with hubby & me unless Tommy my grandson comes over & then he deserts us & sleeps with him.He adores that boy.Penny will sleep with him for a little while & then she comes toddling back to her mom & dad.When they sleep with us Penny likes to get in between my legs.I sleep on my stomach.Paddy is in between hubby & me,head on the pillow.OK except when he & my hubby start sawing logs & then I dont know which is the louder.I cant imagine them sleeping any where else except on the bed.I always thought Shih-tzus demanded it.Oh & by the way when they were little they did pee on the bed once or twice,but we have been pee free ever since Penny was house trained.

Mean Mommy here. Dogs sleep in their crates and the crates are where I want them to be (currently downstairs in the office...bedrooms are upstairs). When we visit my Dad or friends it's just TOO cumbersome to haul all the crates along, and then the dogs can sleep wherever they like. Mostly, they elect to sleep on the floor although we have different ones getting up on the bed and then back down on the floor all night. They have learned through trial and error that waking Mommy up in the middle of the night is NOT a pleasant thing. Mommy sleeps deeply, and if she is awakened suddenly she may throw the offending waker-upper out a window (or something like that). Husband included.

Honestly, people..they're DOGS! I adore mine, but they don't get to dictate sleeping or any other arrangements.

Edited by Luna
TheShihtzuation

WOW! I'm surprised to see how many of you let the babes sleep with you! I would love to cuddle with my muffinbear but I don't want him to get used to it just yet..

There was a playpen at Target today for only $30 so I bought it and figured we'll try that. Though this whole a bit more freedom thing may be too soon as he had an accident in the kitchen today.. :-/

Wicket's mom

Both my boys started off being crated at night and around 3 mos we let them sleep in the bed with us. I just waited till I was sure they were able to hold themselves through the night, I think I kept them in the crate till we had around 3 weeks w/o accidents through the night. Brutus, my 7 mos old boston terrier still has to be crated in the day because he has seperation anxiety and will pee in the house and tear stuff apart when we're gone, but so long as we're home he's happy and won't do those things so he gets to sleep in our bed with Wicket too :sadangel:

CrazyTzuLady

Honestly, people..they're DOGS! I adore mine, but they don't get to dictate sleeping or any other arrangements.

They don't?????? :birthday_toast:

Noodle (our 5 year old lhasa) sleeps in her kennel in the kitchen as she will not hold it overnight if left to roam. Matzah (our shih tzu) sleeps in a dog bed on our bedroom floor as she was never kenneled by her previous owners and isn't overly fond of it.

Edited by katzchen

They don't?????? :blush-anim-cl:

OK, Barb...you got me. They DO get their way on some things (like taking over the sofa) but for the most part it's my way or, um, their way. :birthday_toast:

CrazyTzuLady

That's what I thought Pam. :birthday_toast: LOL

enchantedmountain

Mean Mommy here. Dogs sleep in their crates and the crates are where I want them to be (currently downstairs in the office...bedrooms are upstairs). When we visit my Dad or friends it's just TOO cumbersome to haul all the crates along, and then the dogs can sleep wherever they like. Mostly, they elect to sleep on the floor although we have different ones getting up on the bed and then back down on the floor all night. They have learned through trial and error that waking Mommy up in the middle of the night is NOT a pleasant thing. Mommy sleeps deeply, and if she is awakened suddenly she may throw the offending waker-upper out a window (or something like that). Husband included.

Ohhhh, don't be hard on yourself :) Mine sleep in their crates too. Except Roxy and she sleeps with my daughter. She tried to sleep with Cham and half way through the night Cham jumped down and pooped on the floor. So back to the crates. I am sure after a year or so in the crate at night they may become, what I would call, reliable. They don't sleep with me, but mostly because my hubby won't allow it.

Oh my, I was trying NOT to get involved in this post....last time we talked about our pups being in bed with us :love: ....well, suffice it to say, I came away with a very red face.... :blush::doh::blush:

But, yes, both or our sleep BETWEEN us at the head of the bed, between our pillows (and FOUR eyes that stare) :)

enchantedmountain

Oh my, I was trying NOT to get involved in this post....last time we talked about our pups being in bed with us :love: ....well, suffice it to say, I came away with a very red face.... :blush::doh::blush:

But, yes, both or our sleep BETWEEN us at the head of the bed, between our pillows (and FOUR eyes that stare) :)

He, He, He

They don't?????? :blush:

Well...I'm in with the bed sleepers...The babies sleep with me in the king bed and I'm lucky IF I get to stay the night...

With a king size bed, and only two tiny dogs, you would think I would get a majority of the space/covers...Uh, noooo...

It's all about the babies.....

Corkey will usually lay towards the foot of the bed.

Suzie sleeps right next to my chest..If I move or roll over, so does she.

Last night I 'bout fell off the side, because she kept ssooching over when I would and next thing I knew, I had maybe 12 inches of bed space between me and the edge....

So, I had to get stern....I hated to do it...But,

I laid down and law...I stood my ground and I asked Suzie if she could please let mommy have some more room.... :)

Edited by Apeke
TheShihtzuation

Ok.. last night the boys and I were home alone all night (on a Saturday night.. on Valentines.. but whatever! I had my babies! haha). So, thanks to a pm from one of my shihclique buddies on here.. I decided to give it a go and see if Pokey would sleep in the bed with me.

He laid down for maybe a minute and a half and then just wanted to get down off the bed. "HMPH! FINE! I really didn't want you sleeping with me anyway!!! :) " But who was I kidding? hahaha

So I went and got his crate.. which he he hasn't slept in with the door closed for about a week now. I brought the crate in my room next to my bed, put him in, closed the crate door and the behbehboy went right to sleep!!!! I was surprised.. I thought after having all that freedom at night that he'd be hesitant to go back in the crate to sleep.. but he slept like a baby!

We went out around 3am (I was up anyway..) and he laid down for good around 330ish. At 830a he was still all snuggly with his lovey but was giving me the look like "ok.. I'm being a good boy, can you let me out to go potty right quick?"

And this afternoon we put together the baby playpen and put him in it.. HE LOVED IT! hahaha What is wrong with this boy? He complains way less than he should! He was digging at the bottom for a few minutes, but then just layed down and was chilling watching me vacuum.

I think tonight we'll go back to putting him in the room where my mom and Klepto sleep.. but this time he'll get to sleep in the playpen. My mom and I have dog duty hours.. and shes up at 5am everyday to take them out.. while that's usually my bedtime!! (Insomniac + working from home = vampire hours). Anyway - I hope there's no accidents!!!

Edited by thepupstuff

The 3 girl shih tzu sleep with us. Dhani does about half the time. Sometimes there's a cat involved as well. Or two.

the pups sleep in a double pen in the whelping room...the girls except for ng....sleep in their own bedroom with human and dog beds.sensei sleeps in a pen in my room.ng sleeps on the bed or under as she is the oldie and not been well lately