Large Puppies in PetSmart training class

Olly-Bears Mama

I'm glad you went, but sorry so much time was wasted. I don't remember them spending so much time just playing, but then again, I have the antisocial heathen dog. If your class is anything like mine were, they will get to the better things. The first week is usually an introductory week, to get the dog to learn their name and to recognize the treat as a reward for doing something good. By next week you should be able to see if the trainer is good or not. Good luck!

Oh yeah, do you have dog parks around your place? The ones around here all have separate small and large dog areas. Or do you have a friend with a calm dog that can spend some time with her to get her used to other dogs? When Oliver was a baby, he was terrified of other dogs of any size, but he has since outgrown that.

TheShihtzuation

I thought I'd give a little update about Lucy's class yesterday. The two dogs in her class were a Yorkie and a German Shepard mix (not the Lab and Boxer as I was told). Almost the entire class today was off leash with the dogs socializing. Lucy was very scared of the dogs and kept backing away. The other two dogs really didn't show much interest in Lucy, maybe because she backed off, so most of the time was watching the other two dogs together and my dog in someone's lap. The German Shepard kept barking and nipping the Yorkie and the Yorkie would bark showing she clearly didn't want the German near her. This continued for quite some time (and I mean a lot of time) and I just felt like a lot of time was passing with nothing else going on. Maybe the trainer had her reasons but I just felt too much time was spent on this. Finally we did a quick getting our dog's attention and offering her a treat once she gave us eye contact and then also the "take it" command. Lucy pretty much already knows those two things so nothing new was really learned.

I guess the class showed me that I really do need to get Lucy around other dogs. I didn't mind the off leash time and my worries went away once I got there but I do wish there would have been more to the class. I really wanted to see more time spent on training. I hope that maybe with the first class she just wanted the dogs to get used to each other and that with other classes there will be more training. If not, I will be very disappointed. I did feel there was a close call tonight...the German nipped Lucy just above her eye. It's just a big fear of mine that she will get her eyes hurt. I have mixed feelings about the class and I guess I'll just wait and see how next week goes. I just want to feel that Lucy is more involved and it's not just about the other two dogs.

About how long was your class? And was the trainer using the clicker method when trying to teach the dogs to look? Just trying to compare as to whats going on in Pokey's class... Like I said, I guess we got super lucky that he was the only one in the class -- so we didnt waste too much time that first class.. besides hearing the trainer's backstory. I would think that they did that since the dogs will be with each other for the next 8 weeks.. and like someone said, the more used to each other they get maybe the easier it'll be to get them to pay attention in future classes.

ILoveLucy

Oh yeah, do you have dog parks around your place? The ones around here all have separate small and large dog areas. Or do you have a friend with a calm dog that can spend some time with her to get her used to other dogs? When Oliver was a baby, he was terrified of other dogs of any size, but he has since outgrown that.

We do have a dog park but I've never been to it. I was talking to the owner of the Yorkie last night though and she did tell me there was a separate area for small and large dogs. Maybe when our weather warms up I'll think about going sometime and checking it out. I did find out though that you have to purchase a pass ahead of time to use the park. Is this the norm with dog parks?

Our neighbors have a very calm Border Collie that we are going to try and get her around some once the weather warms up. I think in general once the weather warms up and we start walking her and taking her with us to places she'll get around more animals.

About how long was your class? And was the trainer using the clicker method when trying to teach the dogs to look? Just trying to compare as to whats going on in Pokey's class... Like I said, I guess we got super lucky that he was the only one in the class -- so we didnt waste too much time that first class.. besides hearing the trainer's backstory. I would think that they did that since the dogs will be with each other for the next 8 weeks.. and like someone said, the more used to each other they get maybe the easier it'll be to get them to pay attention in future classes.

Our class was an hour long. The trainer did not use the clicker method. She did mention that next week she would briefly go over what clicker training is and we could then decide if it was something we would want to do, but either way would be fine.

Olly-Bears Mama

I've never paid for a dog park, or had to have a pass. That's weird, although could be a good thing depending on what the pass is for. If they want proof of vaccinations and licensing and so on to get a pass, then there's less of a chance of your dog being exposed to illnesses.

At my class, the instructor gave us the clicker on the first day because she had to, showed us how to use them, but said she doesn't like them so won't be training with them. I don't know how true this is, but she said that every clicker is different to a dog. So, if you lose one and get another, you have to start all over training him to get used to the new clicker. I never used the clicker, so don't know if thats true or not.

If a dog can't figure out that a clicker is a clicker, the dog is too dumb to be trained.

borzoimom

Its up to the trainer to control the class. My lindsey as a baby first night we had her I stayed at Mickis house. Her little Nigel with so tiny compared to my clumsy puppy Lindsey. Both of us knew how to supervise, and Nigel had a great time- and so did Lindsey. As a trainer when I have my puppy classes I teach, the class I seperate larger breed to small if nothing else than the speed the pups can move. Everyone can see everyone- but watch the contact if nothing else sheer size.

Edited by borzoimom
ILoveLucy

I looked into our dog park and it cost $60 a year. I do like the fact that you have to show proof of rabies vaccination but the downfall for me is that no children under 12 are allowed. My daughter is with me all the time because of my husband's schedule so I guess it just won't work for us. It sure looked like it could have been a neat experience to meet a lot of other small dog owners.

kcsheperd

We have two dog parks, and both of them are free. The only thing they require is for you to have their rabies tag showing, or with you. They provide all the poop bags and stuff, and they do separate the small dogs from the big dogs..Of course all mine wanted to do was go into the BIG dog park..because as you know, the grass is always greener on the Big dog side of the fence..lol..

For the little guys there is a bunch of toys, and a small pool for them to jump into in the summer, and a hose.. and for the Big guys there is an actual lake! The other dog park I go to has an agility area where you can work with your dog there too..Funtimes! I like going, but Pandora never wanted to play with other dogs. She would just sit at the gate and say "Hi" when other dogs walked in and then be like, "Lets go".. Rally likes the dog-park. The babies have only been once, but they both had a good time.

ILoveLucy

I just wanted to update my thoughts after two classes: in a nutshell I'm extremely disappointed!

During the second class there were only two of us there. During the first 5 minutes or so the dogs were off leash. I thought the other dog was very rough ...the trainer kept saying Lucy was just fine but the other dog kept nipping at her very hard and practically stepping on her. I said I was nervous she was going to hurt her but was told she was just fine. After hearing my dog yelp enough and seeing the other dog biting her whole body and for some reason she kept wanting to bite her face (which makes me nervous because of her eyes), I had finally had enough and asked my daughter to go pick her up...when she did she had Lucy's hair all over her. I felt bad for Lucy. I know dogs need socialization but this was not fun play for Lucy. I do understand the other puppy didn't mean any harm and wanted to play but I think she was just too much for Lucy. The trainer finally had the owner of the other dog put her dog on a leash. After this fiasco the rest of the time (which was 50 minutes or more) was spent talking about having us move to a different class because we needed more puppies in the class. During this time Lucy tried hiding under chairs and under a cabinet. The trainer said the point of the class was for the dogs to socialize. I understand they need to socialize but I was hoping for more training. I asked about the training and she said that we would start some things next week...hmm not sure I believe her since this week she was suppose to talk about clicker training and some other things. What a wasted class! Anyway I'm now going to move to another class because she has asked us to. I'm not sure if things will really be better, I guess it's a class with I know at least 3 or 4 other bigger dogs and one smaller dog (a puggle). I guess I have no choice but to start over again in this class. In a way I wish I could just get my money back and not take this class at all. I'm not sure if I can even get my money back but my daughter really wants to do the class. I just wish we had other options where I live. The only other place I knew of would never return my calls so PetSmart was the other choice.

Your trainer is an idiot. This kind of experience can traumatize a dog for life. A little dog should never feel like she's been thrown to the wolves and isn't going to be protected by her people. This isn't socialization, it's terrorism.

JMHO.

FairyTail Josette

I'm sorry to hear about Lucy's negative experience.

When Josey took a puppy class at Petsmart, we were working on leash training, so, I did have a harness on Josey...the instructor literally DRUG her down the aisle like a dust mop because, Josey didn't want to walk. I'm not a trainer, but, there must be a better method than this? :o She ruined Josey on the leash. To this day, she hates it, so, she rides in a stroller instead when we are on walks. (We have a fenced in back yard.) I feel she really traumatized Josey that day, she was scared...that...and all the big dogs jumping on her, etc. My vet was really angry to hear this and recommended I pull her out of the class. I did meet a trainer at another Petsmart that really impressed me and was gentle and kind in his training, but, he was quitting when I found him. So, I think the quality of instructors at Petsmart is hit or miss.

The ONLY training center around here that allows toy breeds with large breeds in their classes is Petsmart.

I have a friend in Texas...and she said their Petsmarts only put toy breeds with other toys in classes, I think there's more demand there for classes, so, they can put the same size together.

luvinpreciousntoby

Poor little Lucy,,, I can't believe the trainer let the other pup play so rough... sounds like the other should have been kept on leash the entire time... None of us doggie moms want our lil furkids to be traumatized. It that happens next time.. I would go pick up Lucy and just say no.. they are being too rough and wait for the off leash time to be over... Remember,, she is yours.. and if you're worried for her. your instincts have her best interest at heart...

Oh poor little Josey... that's aweful what that trainer did.. you would think they would have tried using a treat to coax her to walk on leash,, instead of traumatizing the poor little girl.. I swear sometimes ..... some people are in the wrong profession!

ILoveLucy

I'm glad to know that I had a valid reason to feel the way I did. I kept second guessing myself and thinking that maybe I was just worrying too much (because I do tend to do that). Especially when the trainer says she'll be okay, you think to yourself, well she's the trainer and she should KNOW what she is DOING. This trainer is actually the main one in charge too. There are a couple other trainers but they are part-time and unfortunately I don't think they have any class times that work for me. I'm suppose to start over with a class this Sunday with a larger group of dogs and at this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I'm sorry to hear Josey also had a negative experience at PetSmart.

ILoveLucy

My husband went to the class on Sunday and this class was completely different. There were two Labs, two Golden Retrievers, one Pit Bull and one Pomeranian. Lucy was curious in the other dogs but still mostly hid away. This time however the owners of all of these dogs were very good about handling their dogs and we didn't run into any of the problems that we had with the other dog in the other class. It was the same trainer but yet it was a much smoother class. I really think that so much energy was put into the other dog in the other class that it took away from class time. Also the owner did not control or handle her dog very well. I still blame the trainer for not stepping in and knowing when enough was enough but yet I still feel the owner of the other dog could have also controlled her dog better. The dog was very disruptive and many times I had to keep her from jumping and hurting my daughter and Lucy. I felt the owner should have stepped in. The owners in the class on Sunday were completely different and it was a much better experience. I'm so glad I switched classes. Now I just hope we get some actual training accomplished in the upcoming classes. I guess you can say I feel much better now about these classes.