Competitive Pet Owners

MickiNRooney

This is a vent!

I love my Rooney. He is the GREATEST DOG ever. He knows how to do stuff…He can spin (he does it REALLY FAST), he sits, he lies down, he knows to touch my hand and go to the other for treats, he can jump over my leg, he knows that he shouldn’t pee in the house, he knows that water comes out of the sink, he knows that his dog bed is “bed”, he also knows that “home” means “crate”.

Rooney has a tendency to be a little…stubborn. So, it may take a couple of minutes for him to spin. PLUS he only works for treats. Therefore, he hasn’t grasped the concept that down means, “sit longer than two seconds and it doesn’t mean that you will get a treat.” He also has a tendency to want hugs and such from visitors, but we are working on this.

He is a great dog. I love him so much. He is a sweetie.

Well, my doggie nemesis is “Billie Jean”. She is an “All-American pup” that my co-worker acquired TWO weeks ago. She is three months old. Apparently she is the World’s Smartest Puppy. :group: In two short weeks, she has learned:

• Sit
  • Down
  • Spin
  • High Five
  • Stay
  • Play Dead

(complete with the finger gun and audible “Bang Bang”).

And every other dog command in the 101 Tricks To Teach Your Dog book.

I swear, I am trying not to be a competitive mom, but it is hard. Every single Monday, the proud owner/super dog trainer, regales me with stories of the awesome adventures to the Dog Park or things that it took her five minutes to train SuperPup.

Meanwhile my puppy graduated Puppy I, but we have taken a brief hiatus and damn near dropped out of Puppy II.

My response is always, “Wow! She is learning so much. So quickly.” Of course, the co-worker smugly smiles and attributes it to her wonderful doggy training skills.

I am not going to discuss dogs anymore. LOL

Edited by MickiNRooney

You know what, I feel pups are like kids, they all learn at their own pace. Don't let her get to you, just reply "that's awesome" and don't compare notes out loud. I say Rooney is doing awesome, I love some of the tricks you say he does. I need to train more tricks, I got kinda stagnant on them....so gonna pick it up. Lets see some pics of Rooney.

Now that is one cute puppy. You know even if he knew only to look at you with that cute face that would be enough to win an award in my books for amazing puppies.

My tribe is a bunch of independent thinkers who barely come when called, and then only if I say, "Hey! Time for COOKIES!" Tricks? Ha! Now, all are housebroken, except almost-ten-month old Juno, who feels that it's just fine to pee on Betsy's bed. And I finally got one of those Scat Mats for the couch, so that's off limits now.

They will sit, for cookies. And now that I have learned to be sure all chairs are pushed all the way in, Juno does stay off the kitchen table. They all sleep nicely at night, but on our bed, so it does get crowded. If anybody brags about their dog's special qualities, I just smile sweetly and keep my mouth shut. I think your dog is a genius, plus, he is exceedingly cute.

kcsheperd

You know what though? I can confidently say that her dog, Billie Jean..is NOT as cute as Rooney..Thats just not possible..so the next time she starts in..You should says something like, "Rooney won the cutest puppy in the world award in an online photo contest..Yeah..You know why? Because he's so freakin cute..so put that in your Michael Jackson wanna be dog's Pipe and smoke it...."

Woopsie..That was the smart-ass DJ in me coming out.. I apologize.. lol.. :dede:

Edited by kcsheperd
borzoimom

Well- hard to say without seeing the dog but maybe the dog just has her trained well.. Example- dog is already spinning- owner says "Spin".. Puppy walks up to you, to see your face better, the puppy lifts its head. ( lifting the head is a natural " pre-act" to going to sit.. lol. ( ie head goes up, butt goes down.). " Speak" - puppy is being bossy waiting for a meal, or sits down at the bowl waiting for it.. lol. ( see what I mean??) Using all of this, My Lindsey is a " whiz-kid" too.. LOL. ( oh I know you don't hear me here... lol. ) "Hey- did I mention Lindsey with bark to go out?" ( what is actually happening is that I am not opening the door up fast enough for the Diva.. lol. ) etc etc etc.. lol

Edited by borzoimom

One of the best things I've ever heard was a comment by one of the Westminster Dog Show commentators. He owns/owned Afghan Hou"nds and they are like dead last on most of the lists that rank breed intellegence. He said some along the lines of: Which is smarter, the dog that does whatever you tell it or the dog that has to think about it and decide if it's worth it?" I always liked that. Also, it may be that your friends dog just responds to its particular training method better. There is no one size fits all training method, maybe you should try a different approach?

borzoimom

With but a few exceptions, you can not train a sighthound like you would a herding dog. They would be so highly offended its not even funny! LOL=- and as far as intellegence as stated " They are intellegent just not in the way you are use too"- Able to open refrigerators, doors, door locks - do you know we a had a key dead bolt when Galina was in season! ( and I wore the key on a chain around my neck.. lol. )

Wicket's mom

Oh, I know exactly what you mean, DH does it to me ALL THE TIME! I love both of my boys equally, but in terms of training and such Wicket is more "my dog" if you can say that and Brutus is more "DH's dog" So little things like Wicket has only really ever went outside on a leash his whole life, so the odd times he manages to sneak outside through people's legs or something he runs. Now Brutus' breeder took him outside in their backyard (that's not fenced in) regularly before we got him and got used to being outside offleash, when we got him we just had to teach him his new boundaries and it was a breeze. So of course, DH says "his dog" is more well behaved than "mine" and doesn't run away. Soo frustrating LOL

sorry to say but you have a dog not a zombie o.k. so she trains and trains to do party tricks isn't she changing it into a mechanical toy give me a dog with personality warts and all...a dog should be trained for basics not to be a circus peformer...let your dog be himself ....look into her dogs eyes they will be vacant all the devilment driven out of them....

Edited by ngandkoi

my friend used to say my dogs learned to sit and come in utero lol Nope I just used their natural puppy behaviour to teach them like Borzoimom said.

Then I got a pug lol Hard headed isn't the half of it. Now I tell people "they aren't dumb just SMART enough to know that if they act dumb they don't have to do anything they don't want to do" lol

Her dog may just be a very needy pup that yearns for approval all the time and your pup is a more naturally independant thinker. More to my liking lol

borzoimom

Yea really Micki! Knowing puppy behavior, any puppy ( if it has any brass or curiousity) with either touch with their paw or nose something that moved- then stopped. ( ie- a high five..) etc etc etc.. As a matter of fact- a Borzoi as a puppy will naturally sit- not something that is done when they are older.. and why?? Because its harder to callopse those long legs, and bony to sit on that tail bone.. lol.

" Lay down Lindsey"- good girl.. ( watching her sleep.. lol. ) Well well well- I guess that shows what a great trainer I am. I have seen some the dumbest trainers known get a smart puppy and shine. What shows a good trainer is one that gets a puppy that is a little slower, and making them great!

And another point, but as my mother use to say " Boys are sweeter and girls are smarter" when it comes to puppies. I must admit it- that is totally correct! Maybe because out of mother nature, they have to figure things out quicker than a male does. After all in a " pack" it takes a male basically years to " take over". A female has to figure out how to hunt etc alot faster IMO.

silverleaf

I think the independant nature of the shih tzu is something we all love and respect. Personally, I think how "great" a dog is depends on a whole lot more than if they know tricks. With my own dogs, Remy is the one who has a bad case of human worship and will do whatever you say the moment it's out of your mouth. That being said, I LOVE the fact that Shelby is bombproof. That dog just does not get nervous about anything. Mind you if you ask her to stay or roll over-not happening.

Well- hard to say without seeing the dog but maybe the dog just has her trained well.. Example- dog is already spinning- owner says "Spin".. Puppy walks up to you, to see your face better, the puppy lifts its head. ( lifting the head is a natural " pre-act" to going to sit.. lol. ( ie head goes up, butt goes down.). " Speak" - puppy is being bossy waiting for a meal, or sits down at the bowl waiting for it.. lol. ( see what I mean??) Using all of this, My Lindsey is a " whiz-kid" too.. LOL. ( oh I know you don't hear me here... lol. ) "Hey- did I mention Lindsey with bark to go out?" ( what is actually happening is that I am not opening the door up fast enough for the Diva.. lol. ) etc etc etc.. lol

PERFECT response.....I think you hit the nail on the head Vickie....(now I don't want to "short change" the "trained" dog, but hey, we gotta blame the mom heheheh)

I still say.....JUST IGNORE IT!!! Your dog is SPECIAL !!!185.gif

luvinpreciousntoby

Rooney is siimply Cute as a button!! Love the pic.. don't worry about your coworker,,, just love lil Rooney receive so much love in return,, My precious knows so many tricks.. but when it really comes down to it.. when she's outside,, I have to turn circles and blue in the face to get her to come. she's just so curious she wants to watch the birds and chase the leaves and sniff for intruders... couldn't care less about me.. All that matters is to love and be loved.. and they sure are good at that.. Enjoy your lil Rooney!!

borzoimom

PERFECT response.....I think you hit the nail on the head Vickie....(now I don't want to "short change" the "trained" dog, but hey, we gotta blame the mom heheheh)

I still say.....JUST IGNORE IT!!! Your dog is SPECIAL !!!185.gif

LOL.. My name is Michelle but I see what you mean.. :dunno:

MickiNRooney

Thanks y’all. I am not really focused so much on the tricks. I would prefer that Rooney know how to walk on the leash, sit on the mat, and visitors manners. They taught Billie Jean how to play dead, but she doesn’t know how to walk on the leash. tsk-tsk LOL

He knows how to play fetch by himself. It really is the cutest thing ever. I can’t take credit for that. He did that at the rescue when I got him.

Rooney is definitely independent. I love his personality. He is very secure with playing alone, but when he needs me he will come over and sit near me.

LOL.. My name is Michelle but I see what you mean.. :dunno:

DUH Michelle, I am so sorry. You get to typin and read so many posts. Please forgive....the granny eyes again??? HaHa, can't use that as an excuse all the time..84.gif

borzoimom

Thanks y’all. I am not really focused so much on the tricks. I would prefer that Rooney know how to walk on the leash, sit on the mat, and visitors manners. They taught Billie Jean how to play dead, but she doesn’t know how to walk on the leash. tsk-tsk LOL

He knows how to play fetch by himself. It really is the cutest thing ever. I can’t take credit for that. He did that at the rescue when I got him.

Rooney is definitely independent. I love his personality. He is very secure with playing alone, but when he needs me he will come over and sit near me.

Yea know in the long run an independant dog is easier to train and better at entertaining themselves.. lol. All this cute activitiy of a dependant dog gets old real fast if she isn't ready for it.

DUH Michelle, I am so sorry. You get to typin and read so many posts. Please forgive....the granny eyes again??? HaHa, can't use that as an excuse all the time..84.gif

Oh don't you worry about! I figured it was in there somewhere...

Olly-Bears Mama

Now this is just me, but next time she starts bragging about her dog, I'd show her THIS picture of what I trained my dog to do this weekend:

Well_trained_dog.jpg

But in all seriousness, all dogs are different. Merphy was SO easy to train the basic commands, he'd do anything for a treat. However, he is a really smart dog, and this isn't always a good thing for me. Take the "leave it" command. He'll leave a toy or something non-edible. But in training, they wanted us to stick a treat on the ground in between their paws and expect them to leave it. Merphy knows darn well how this works. If he leaves the treat as told, I give him ONE treat and a pat on the head, tell him good boy, and on to the next command. BUT, if he eats the treat that he's supposed to leave, the his stupid owner is gonna place another treat in between his paws and say some sh*t about leaving it, and he'll eat that one. We'll go on and on and on, until finally I give up. He got 10 treats for ignoring me, where he would have gotten one for obeying. He's no fool!

Oliver, on the other hand, I haven't figured out him out quite yet. He knows a few commands, but I seriously think he has brain damage. He's just a happy go lucky dog.

TheShihtzuation

Get her a "my dog is smarter than your dog" bumper sticker and tell her to shove it... :blush: Maybe that'll teach her to quit the bragging! lol

CrazyTzuLady

Get her a "my dog is smarter than your dog" bumper sticker and tell her to shove it... :dede: Maybe that'll teach her to quit the bragging! lol

:birthday_toast:

FairyTail Josette

I think the independant nature of the shih tzu is something we all love and respect. Personally, I think how "great" a dog is depends on a whole lot more than if they know tricks. With my own dogs, Remy is the one who has a bad case of human worship and will do whatever you say the moment it's out of your mouth. That being said, I LOVE the fact that Shelby is bombproof. That dog just does not get nervous about anything. Mind you if you ask her to stay or roll over-not happening.

I agree with silverleaf.

Josey and Mandy really don't know many tricks...but, they both have a sweet, cuddlebug temperament...nothing bothers them. We could go to a Harley Davidson convention, or a fireworks show and Josey just melts in whomever's arms are holding her and she will probably fall asleep. "Bombproof" ...I like that. lol

Cody knows a lot of tricks, but, that's not what I'm concerned with...I do love how he's trained on the leash well. So, when we take walks, it's a pleasure!

Rooney is so adorable and sounds PERFECT to me. :dede: