Puppy eating EVERYTHING!

Chloe pup

My pup keeps eating everything she can find, rocks (small and big) leaves, paper, wood chips, and everything else you can find on the ground. I was wondering if any of your pups have do this, and what you do about it. I try to take everything out of her mouth and she winds up biting my finger. I want to take her on nice long walks but I am afraid she will somehow eat something without me knowing about it.

LMAO

welcome to the wonderful world of tzu's!

I believe they just about all do this.... my pups do it, maci does not, she just sniffs and then walks away.

Lea has a rock collection and bert has a leaf collection with mulch lol

usually I let them pick one thing up such as a larger rock or stick and then they dont worry about anything else. Then i make them drop it before they come into the house.... however they sneak leaf's in on me sometimes and eat them.

Edited by Stacey

Oh yea, especially Maddy....I posted the same concern ages ago and so have many others here. You can search for it, but mostly, I think people will tell you.....it IS a dog. That is what they do. Do the best you can to keep him from really bad things but don't panic over the leaves and little things he will devour. Some used treats to lure them away from things. I think most outgrow at least some of it. Josie still does a little, but she will "drop it" if I tell her. That is what I did....everytime I give him a firm "drop it", then rake out his mouth, which he hates. Then he began to drop rather than me rake....LOL...now, I just tell him "bring it to mommy" and he does. EVERY time we go out to potty, he picks up a piece of bark..."brings it to mommy", goes tinkle, runs back for more bark, runs to the back door up onto the step...I say give it to mommy and he does.....we have a stand by the back door. About every 3-4 days I carry a PILE of wood chips back out to the trim area. Very funny....he is so proud to carry it for me..Sometimes when he takes it out and then gives it to me, I will hold it while he does his business then call him to come get it....oh, that he really loves. Then on to the door and turns it over to me again. I guess I turned it into a game/trick/command and it has worked very well for us. Good luck. :)

tzukeeper

All of mine do it too! Opie is the worst. I am always having to pick up the crap he brings in the house. His favorite things are sticks and pine cones.

phptzd4I8AM.jpg

phprExgedPM.jpg

2008_1119Nov2020080009.jpg

Buddy has a rock collection. He will be five in a few days and he still picks up things but his favorite is rocks. I have one dog house outside in the dog run & yesterday when I looked inside there were about 25 rocks. I had to turn the house over and try to shake them all out. :)

LOL...cutest pics of Opie :)

i must say im right there with you...Kisses will find just about ANYTHING on the ground. If you lost it...she will find it...

Ozzy'sMommy

i think what worked most is getting oz to understand "leave it", "drop it" and "give it".

don't get me wrong he still picks up things. but i think i put the fear of god (or mommy, i guess with dogs mommy is god, lol) in him about rocks. he still picks up leaves, he won't eat them though, and twigs. i don't mind those too much. we have a collection by our front door. he tries to go for napkins people have just tossed on the sidewalk which i always have to use the 'leave it' reminder.

it's good to train them not to bite you if you stick your fingers in their mouth. oz will try to hold his little jaws shut and not let my finger in but he won't bite me going from something in his mouth....and i've stuck a finger down his throat for something too, lol. he's also almost choked on too large kibble and a piece of flossie so i think he now associates momma's fingers with i'm not trying to hurt him.

oh and oz's new thing is raiding my purse for cash....the other day he was chewing on a 5 dollar bill, lol.

Yep! mine "snack" on leaves like they're chips!! OMG.. drives me nuts and I'm always scared they'll get sick. The other day I found Chico chomping on some type of tree berry! All the toys they have don't get as much attention as the stuff outside does!

TheShihtzuation

Oh, I just love this place. I'm so glad to see I'm not alone on things like this!!

Pokemon does this too. When we're outside he will pick up rocks.. leaves, sticks..

DSC07048.jpg

Ever since he got sick a few weeks ago from eating a berry outside.. I keep a very very close eye on whats going in his mouth. Lately its just been rocks or sticks. If its a little rock -- or something that isn't big enough to hang out both sides so I can see whats going on.. I stick my fingers in his mouth, grab it and in a super high happy tone go "thank youuuuuuuuu... goood boy!!" I use that in the house too when he picks up tissues, newspapers, magazines, whatever! lol.

Outside.. like Stacey and the other girls here.. I usually hand him a big enough stick and that will keep him occupied. He carries it so proudly til we get to the door and then I say "give it to mommy... thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... good boy!" We're also collecting a little pile on the side of the stairs.. :blush:

Olly-Bears Mama

Both mine love bark. A few weeks ago, I spent several hours going through the entire backyard throwing every single piece of bark I could possibly find away. They still find bark and bring it inside, find a nice patch of carpet, and chew it up, leaving bits and pieces all over the place. They also love sticks and leaves and napkins and paper and books. Merphy loves used q-tips, dirty underwear, and used bandages. Oliver loves tags and drawstrings and kitchen cabinets. Both my guys are really bad right now, and I think its because I'm not able to walk them quite yet. I'm hoping once I can get them some structured excercise, they'll chill a bit.

But no, you're not alone.

ILoveLucy

I was wondering this same thing. My Lucy wants to put every little thing she can find in her mouth. I'm hoping as she gets a little older I can teach her to "leave it" and "drop it."

Oh love the pup photos with all their "stuff" in their mouth. :blush:

kcsheperd

Mine Love Leaves.. I swear I shold reward them with "Leaf" treats rather than live!

I actually took this shrub thing in the other day to my vet..It drops berries all the time, and I've had to pull them out of the babies mouths..He said it wasn't poisionous, but it might cause them to vomit..I have that dang thing all over my backyard and the little ones just LOVE to grab those little berries! Yesterday I looked down and Sawyer had a tack in the floor! What! I dont even have tacks in my house! Where did he get that! Mine love to go and grab fake flowers in my house and gnaw on them..and then there's grass..geez! They love to go and grab mouth fulls of grass and dirt. My vet said that was fine, but I'm still forever pulling stuff out of their mouth! I know they have to be sick of me prying open their mouth and scooping stuff out..lol..

....oh and oz's new thing is raiding my purse for cash....the other day he was chewing on a 5 dollar bill, lol.

OMG!! that is hilarious..well now you know where to look when you're missing a couple of bucks!

how do you get them to drop something from their mouths?? I constantly tell mine to drop it, and also say "No!" but they don't get it.. granted, they're pups, and eventually will learn. Luckily they don't bite when I stick my fingers in their mouths to remove whatever they've picked up.

I stick my fingers in his mouth, grab it and in a super high happy tone go "thank youuuuuuuuu... goood boy!!" I use that in the house too when he picks up tissues, newspapers, magazines, whatever! lol.

Good idea!! never thought of it.. I'll try that!

oh and oz's new thing is raiding my purse for cash....the other day he was chewing on a 5 dollar bill, lol.

HeHe, what a picture that is....did he give you change?...130.gif

luvinpreciousntoby

Precious also knows the "leave it" and "drop" command... leave it has been a life saver.. especially when smelling neighbor dogs poooo.. ewwwwwww.. anyway,, she loves chewing grass,,, sticksss,,, she especially loves when we go to my brother who has a wood stove.. oh goodie.. lil pieces of wood near the woodbox.. lets turn them into splinters and leave them on the carpet...

OMG that's too funny about chewing on a $5 bill.. lol.. hope you were able to tape it back together..

All in all.. I think it's just the nature of the pup...

TheShihtzuation

LOL @ the stealing of the money.. How do you think Mr. Klepto got his name? LOL

Let me know if the thank you thing helps.. If it anything, it should help to get whatevers in their mouth out a little easier. I'd still like him to learn "drop it" though.

Ozzy'sMommy

oh and for the drop it thing (even though it doesn't work 100%), when we were in the house i'd go and get a treat if he had something he shouldn't in his mouth and wouldn't give it back.

outside i did what someone else just mentioned, giving him a bigger stick or bigger leaf (one you know they're not going to swallow) to carry around while out on a walk. either that or i let him take his little tennis ball if he wants. that stays in his mouth so he doesn't end up picking up other things.

now he picks something up in the house and half the time we just walk over to him and give him 'the look' and he looks back at us like "damn, busted" and spits it out.

(and yeah i got my $5 back unharmed, lol)

Chloe pup

Thank you all very much, I am just glad I am not alone. The pictures were sooo cute! I am going to try the stick thing, as well as try to teach her to drop it and leave it. I don't think she meant to bite me when I tried to get it of her mouth she was just chopping away on the rock and I guess my finger got caught.

borzoimom

I use distraction. I carry toys, or simple bones etc and just replace one " object for another. If the puppy learns that playing with you is alot more fun than eating stuff, it goes alot faster. Remember while teething the gums not only ache but they do not feel settled. Biting different things is a part of exploring for them, so you just have to be more interesting than what they are looking for.. lol.

Suzie has a fetish with acorns in the fall..

We get these moose size ones and she is all the time picking them up...batting at them for a while, then she'll take it, go lay down and start munching..

She also loves pine branches...

Corkey loves sticks...big - small, it doesn't matter...What he can get in his lip..he'll take.

I taught Corkey the drop it rule, by saying "LET GO" and "GIVE IT TO MOMMA"

I will grab hold of what ever part is hanging out of his mouth and repeat those words until he finally releases his grip on it and let's go.

Suzie on the other hand needs to learn STOP....

first, because the second she sees me coming towards her to take ANYTHING away from her,

she just puts her paws into 5th gear and hauls ass running....

So once we master the STOP rule, then we'll work on LET GO......

Edited by Apeke
MickiNRooney

Rooney eats all of those things. I am so high-strung, the first time I noticed I SCREAMED BLOODY MURDER. He looked at me like I had lost my mind.

He doesn't really eat the leaves. He catches them like they are mice and wrestles with them. LOL

• 1 month later...

This post brought a smile to my face.. Carter tries to eat everything his nose touches- and he stands all of 3" tall I think- so his nose touches everything. I am forever saying "Drop it" or "dont eat the nasties" and he hasn't gotten it yet.. he is learning though- My mother lives next door and her Golden Lab (Carters bestest buddy) brings him sticks & nasty things- like a dead snake. Imagine my surprise when I said "drop it" and reached down to rake whatever he was chomping on out of his mouth.. Eek.. Sadly, I think my reaction entertained him more than discouraged him! I feel so much better knowing hes not the only short one eating everything outside!