Antiadoption rescue

MisterMom

Several weeks ago I saw on Petfinder A 5 month old liver Tzu up for adoption in my general area. So I filled out the part of their application that I deemed appropriate and emailed it.

Several days latter, I get an email saying I didn't answer all the questions and they require answers to all questions. So I answered the questions even though I thought it was none of their business.

I get my application forwarded to the local intake person.

Except I didn't provide 3 references because I don't have 3 references, including only 1 relative, that would know the answer to their reference questionnaire.

Several days latter I get an email saying they had to have 3 references and it was ok if they lived out of town, had never seen my dogs or house. So I sent them 3 names and they were happy.

I also had to supply 2 years of vet records on all 3 of my dogs including certification of rabies & vaccinations. A couple of days latter I get an email questioning a missing rabies certification on Missy, so I got thru my records again, find it and fax it. Then I get an email saying the vet records don't show a DHPP for Missy. So I look thru all my records again, and it isn't there. So I call he vet and sue enough, she had had the vaccination, but the vet had left if off the bill. So I send the agency an email saying she had it on time and it was covered. I had called the vet to inquire in the first place because I sure don't want to have missed this shot. My word is not good enough, they have to have written proof from the vet.

At this point I am pretty frustrated with this whole process AND they still have to send someone out to make sure my residence is suitable for one of their dogs.

AND the one I applied to adopt has already been adopted.

It is easier and probably cheaper to just go buy one. AND the only question they ask is cash or check!!

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

tzukeeper

Yeah I've had a some pretty similar experiences. Crazy isn't it ?!? I got tired of jumping through their hoops and purchased my puppies. :)

luvinpreciousntoby

Wow.. that seems pretty incredible.. sorry to hear the lil Tzu had already been adopted.. but Kudos to you for wanting to rescue! I must say though.. the breeders I've talked too.. put me through a pretty thorough interrogation as well.. wanting to ensure their pups are placed in a loving home... I also had to give my Vet's information as a reference,, which I had no problem with... I hope you are still looking.. I'm sure there's a little Tzu out there needing your loving home... Good Luck!

I feel your pain, before I got maci, i was going to rescue a tzu.... but the bluegrass rescure requires you to have a fenced in yard. At the time it was my home but no fenced in yard. Never had another dog, only cats. Cats are only vaccinated 1 every 3 years because I dont over vaccinate them. Plus while in my care the only vet care they received was when something happened out of the ordinary such as bloody pee or poo etc... something that was emergency.

To make a long story short, I was denied right off, do to the fact I didnt have a fenced in yard.

I too love the fact that people like to adopt or rescue..... but some of these places make it absolutely ridiculous hoops to jump..... I could probably get a secret service job at the white house easier than rescueing a dog.

Sad..... really all these dogs need homes and they are turning people away who have the means and the know how to take care of them.

ShihtzuBeauty

Been there done that. All these babies are missing out on wonderful forever homes. :)

Sunlite

Been there done that. All these babies are missing out on wonderful forever homes. :D

Same here, that's why I bought both of mine. :chickendance:

borzoimom

Quite frankly I dont trust many. I would suggest contacting the breed rescue and go from there...

Yeah I've had a some pretty similar experiences. Crazy isn't it ?!? I got tired of jumping through their hoops and purchased my puppies. :D

Been there done that. All these babies are missing out on wonderful forever homes. :chickendance:

Ditto.. and I got denied twice, but not from PetFinder, but two local Tzu rescues. Denied for not having a home with a fenced yard, because I live in an apartment, and because I work full time!! Mind you the adoption fee was $300!! I was so upset because I wanted to take at least one Tzu off their hands and give it a loving home. While I understand they're seeking good homes for the dogs and have their best interests in mind.. their rules or protocols are just ridiculous!

Edited by Riquena
CrazyTzuLady

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you and the little one. I have to agree that I while I understand for the most part why they do what they do some of their expectations are just unrealistic and unfortunately it is the pups that are missing out on loving forever homes. I do NOT understand the fenced in yard part of all of these rescues. Have they never heard of a leash??? Although I love my fence I on occasion will find myself not supervising them as well as I should just because they are in the fence. At least when you have to use a leash you are right there with them.

• 2 weeks later...
tinypinkkissess

When I decided to get a dog, the first thing I checked into was adopting from rescues. I was a daily petfinder fanatic. That was until I actually read the various rescues adoption applications. I couldn't believe all the BS requirements, rules, and restrictions the majority of these rescues have. It really pissed me off. Like a lot of people, I was looking to give a dog a really good home. But I wasnt even being given the chance because I didn't have a fenced yard, or one of the gazillion other requirements. I went the reputable breeder route in the end.

I realize the intention of these rescues is to weed out the potentially "bad dog owners". Funny thing is, when I was a petfinder fanatic, I would often come across dogs who were relisted after being adopted a first time from a rescue. I guess having a fenced in yard, doesn't automatically make you a "good dog owner" afterall. :)

MisterMom

I finally got approved to adopt. Then they sent me a copy of the adoption contract.

I would not be the owner of the dog, they retain ultimate title.

They can inspect and determine compliance at any time.

Pet must wear a collar with ID at all times. Right, a full coat Tzu with a collar!

IF they determine it to be necessary I and dog must attend basic obedience training classes.

A non refundable 'donation' of at least $600 to cover expenses is required.

and on & on

I am going tomorrow to pick up my new one from a breeder.

luvinpreciousntoby

Oh wow.. I can't believe they have all those restrictions.. when you're trying to help a lil rescue... jeesh.. what are they thinking??

congrats on going to a breeder and getting your new lil one.. be sure to post pics and pics and pics!

tzuhouse

I finally got approved to adopt. Then they sent me a copy of the adoption contract.

I would not be the owner of the dog, they retain ultimate title.

They can inspect and determine compliance at any time.

Pet must wear a collar with ID at all times. Right, a full coat Tzu with a collar!

IF they determine it to be necessary I and dog must attend basic obedience training classes.

A non refundable 'donation' of at least $600 to cover expenses is required.

and on & on

I am going tomorrow to pick up my new one from a breeder.

OMG, another new baby and MORE puppy breath....PLEASE post pics ASAP.

Seastar

Don't blame you a bit.

CrazyTzuLady

Don't blame you a bit.

Me either what a bunch of crap! Those poor dogs are the ones missing out on a loving home. Can't wait to see the new little one.....have a safe trip!

ShihtzuBeauty

Thats crazy!!! :tapfingers5rg: Can't wait to see pics of your new little one.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not "rescue" a little guy from a pound instead of a rescue. Most dog pounds only require that you have them neutered and get their shots before they leave. Also, "rescue" dogs have already been taken out of thier bad situations for the most part. Pound pups are still usually living in rough conditions and have a good chance of being put down if they aren't adopted soon.

• 3 weeks later...
UrsusArctos

Ugh, I am sorry. I have had similar experiences... but you know what really makes me mad?

My Pekingese, Peaches, is what I consider a "rescue". Her owner got a divorced, didn't want the dog anymore, and so she dumped her on my aunt (who said she would "watch" the dog for a few days, then the woman moved away and informed her that she didn't want the dog anymore). So, she knew I was thinking about another dog, so i finally got to meet her on Christmas Day. Then I spent about 400 dollars getting her spayed and up to date on all shots and medications etc. She was 3 when I got her.

And I tell this story about how I got a dog from a person who runs a rescue and they have the nerve to tell me, "Thats not rescue. You didn't rescue the dog, it was a gift". Ugh. So what, it's not "rescue" if you don't pay someone a 200 dollar adoption fee???

Wicket's mom

Wow, that's crazy. I'm thinking of getting another dog at some point down the road and was planning to adopt this time; I'm still gonna try it out but I have a feeling I'll end up getting another baby from a breeder.

Congrats on your new baby!!! I hope we get to see pics soon.

When I decided to adopt a baby, I went to a local pound. They had a puppy named Izzy (which I used for my baby). I had to fill out lots of paper work, send pictures of my home and yard, where the puppy would be living and staying (I live on 40 acres). They called me and told me that she would be ready to come home soon. I went to town and bought toys, food, a bed and a crate.

Then a few days later when they were supposed to call for me to come get her, they called and said that I couldn't have her, because I have fibromyalgia and I might fall on her.

They would never have known, if I had not told the lady that she would be good company for me when I was not able to do much.

You just can't please them. I cried for days and then started looking for my sweet little girl. Maybe it was meant to be.

tashi love

I am sorry that you all have had what you deem to be bad experiences with rescue organizations BUT, rescue groups are no different than breeders when it comes to deciding who gets a dog/pup from them, some are lax and some are over zealous. Personally i think being thorough when rehoming a dog who has usually been through a rough time of it is a good thing. After all these people have often put time and money into rehabilitation, hospital care, training etc. and look for the best home possible, and yes I believe a fenced yard and an owner who is home most of the day is the best for a dog's well being.

Tzu crew

How sad that "rescue" has become such a business. I have adopted 3 of my dogs from local pounds and taken 4 others because of situations that previous owners could not keep them or take care of them properly. To me each one of them is a rescue, including the dog that was given to me because he had fleas and the previous owner trimmed the end of his ears off (not just the hair, actually his ears) and razor burned his entire body. Also the little guy who was terribly depressed because a larger dog in his previous home was beating the crap out of him daily, and the little girl who was given to me that had such bad teeth that the cartilage that held her jaw together had rotted away and she had to have surgery to wire it back together. These little guys are just a much rescues to me as the boy that came from the pound dragging his hind quarters from being kicked that smelled so bad that he had to be bathed daily for 6 weeks because the smell was so embedded in his pores. To me each one was taken from a bad situation and is so much happier and healthier now, so they are all "rescues."

Please don't give up on "rescuing" a little fur guy. Rescue is not about paying someone a large amount for a dog that is already in a decent home. It is about saving a life and making it better, and the love that both you and your fur baby feel for each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Michelle, Quite frankly I dont trust many. I would suggest contacting the breed rescue and go from there...

They too are extremly strict! I tried to foster for GSRNE ( a German Shepherd Rescue). I was denied, for not having a fence. My kennel was not good enough. I only use a kennel for when I am out gardening.

I was denied to adopt, way back when, for having little kids and/or owning a big dog.

When we bought our house, my Boy Friend wanted a cat & we did too (my girls & I).

It took him 3 months of jumping through hoops & $300 to adopt our Kitty 10 yrs ago!

The shelter wasn't going to let him adopt, because of his profession! And the fact that he was a Herpotologist!

We still have that Kitty & 5 yrs. after the adoption we keep that shelter updated & let them know how much that kitty is loved.

borzoimom

Yvette- if I may offer... With shepherds the reason the rescue is so strict with a fence requirement is that shepherds are one of those breeds with a stigma, and not having a fence, they worry about if the dog were to run at large. More than likely what raised the alarm bell for them was the word " kennel" as too many times shepherds are left there, and way too many have had to be rescued from bad situations involving them.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry about your experience, not all rescues are like that. Could be they were just being disorganized. It's important to follow up so they don't just shuffle paperwork.

I've worked with rescues and fostered twice. I have my own rants about them, from the foster parent end of things, though my experiences with them have been generally good!

Do keep looking for rescues in your area (if you haven't tried petfinder.com, you can search there by zip code). Some rescues (like one I worked with) are in more than one State, so don't be afraid to expand your search. Ask if they have transportation for the dogs and make sure they won't stick them in the baggage compartment. The rescue I fostered for would only send the dogs in the cabin with a person who would hand the dog off to the adopting parent(s) at the airport.