Antiadoption rescue

Carolina Girl

I too had a bad experience in trying to get a rescue. I saw the dog on their website and fell in love with her. I filled out the adoption app. The lady called and told me that the shih tzu had eye problems and would need to be on eye drops twice a day for life. I was okay with that. I gave all the references, except vet since I have never had a pet before. The one thing that I did not have was a fenced in yard. Ugh.....The dog has been in "rescue" for over a year. I gave up. Then I was with a friend at the local animal shelter and saw Ozzy. I couldn't help falling in love with him. He was an owner surrender. The previous owners had a baby and dumped him! I paid $80 for him. He was neutered and up to date on all shots. I treat him like he's my child. He has a great life. It makes me sick that I was turned down by a rescue group. I am providing my Ozzy with a wonderful life and would have done so for the other dog.

That dog is still on the rescue site. It just makes me wonder if they are truly interested in finding a home for that little dog.....

• 2 weeks later...
MaggiesMom

While I understand they are trying to find the animal a good home and dont want it to go through any more suffering, their rules are rediculous to me. Obviously just by reading this thread there are many wonderful potential owners who dont fit their requirements and the dog pays for it. Is it better for the dog to sit in rescue forever and possibly be euthanized because someone that wanted it doesnt have a fence? Bah poor pups. I disagree the best homes are someone with a fenced yard and home most of the time. My husband and I live in an apartment and we dont have a fence. We take Maggie outside on a leash to potty and take her for walks. She gets to run and play all over the apartment. She is happy as can be without a fence much less a yard. I take her to vet, shes up to date on shots, and shes on the best food I can get a hold of. Im a nurse and I work 5 days one week and 2 the next and on the days I work Im gone most of the day. Right now my husband is home with Maggie until he finds a job (he just graduated). We more than likely wont be on the same schedule so she will always have someone home. But if she was alone a good bit of the day she has her food, water, toys and space to play, and will have lots of attention when we got home. Gotta work to pay for the animals care, toys, food etc. and at least shes safe, healthy, and loved. Sorry you guys all had such a hard time :yucky:

tunisianswife

Maggie, I so agree. I too am an apartment dweller, and don't have a fenced yard. hardware does not always mean safety. what is worse-having a fenced yard and letting a small one out unattended, or having no fence but always leashed and in attendance? I work a weekend option program at the hospital, so am home 5 days a week, live right next door to a park with trails in the woods, and I never let my dogs off leash. they are not crated and have full roam of the house, as they have proven to be trusted uncrated.(well except for my deaf shih tzu that has had issues w/potty but by golly, he uses his pee pee pads) they are bathed once a week, get all their shots and checkups, and I too try to give them the best food I can. I know my vet would give me an A1 recommendation, they can come look at my house any time day or night and will know that they have a spotless place to stay. I have no children and yet there are some rescues that will not adopt to families that have small children. there are several members here that have small children and there is no problems. What is to say that the dog was not already in a home w/small children and has adapted?

I think that it should be a dog-per-dog call on who needs a fence, what the age limit is on children in the household, etc. With the rescues, these dogs are fostered so therefore I am sure that after a bit of time has lapsed with fostering the dog, they would know their 'issues' and can post as such w/each dog.

too many good homes are passed up because of these stringent-sometimes bordering on overkill or anal-requirements.

I was ready to just go out and find a breeder but so badly wanted to go with adoption. as luck (or Divine intervention) would have it, I was able to get both mine at a (high-kill) shelter. I don't recall a fenced yard being any issue(perhaps they asked on the application) but my references were checked, and when I got the second one, I took the first one with me to see how they interacted. both came home the same day.

do all foster families not have children? do all fosters not work outside of the home?

there are some shih tzu rescue orgs that have had the same little ones on the site for ages! doesn't make total sense to me.

Carolina Girl

There is a little male shih tzu on the website of a rescue group in my county. If you click on his picture, you can see the date stamped on it. It was taken in 2004. That means that dog has been in "rescue" for five years! Do they even want someone to adopt him? It's ridiculus. They need to let go of them to good people so that they can save more from shelters. If you have a good reference, enough money to take proper care of the animal, and pass the home visit, then you should be able to adopt. I understand that bigger dogs may need a fenced in yard. But a little shih tzu??? As a matter of fact where I live it has been so hot and humid, Ozzy goes out to potty on a leash and comes right back in. We aren't even taking him for walks currently. We throw his ball and he runs after it in the house. He really is getting plenty of excercise right now.

• 4 weeks later...

I do understand your frustration. However, there is never a shortage of dogs needing homes and if a rescue group has policies you don't agree with there are always other groups you can work with. There are also shelters, who have many purebreds btw. All of my animals have been rescued in one form or another. The majority from shelters. The thing to do really is to find a small dog rescue group or a breed specific group and put in an application before a dog you are interested in becomes available. That way you are all approved already and ready to go. I used to foster for a small breed rescue group and our policies were never too strict. I know most people buy their dogs, but that is just something I can never personally do. Not after working in animal shelters for a while....

• 4 months later...
maamaakrystal

MY experience with rescue organizations was bad too. Most rescues wouldn't give me the time of day (all the small dog rescue organizations in my area won't adopt to people with kids under 8) because I had a small child and the ones that did would only give me a larger dog and convinced me that that was the way to go with a child in the house even though I've never been particularly comfortable with large dogs. I finally found a rescue that worked out of her own house (she actually seemed a little iffy) and was convinced all families should have a lab. We got a female 1 year old lab that seemed very easy going at her house. We got her home. I couldn't exercise her enough with a little townhouse and little back yard. I took her for this huge walk outside for a couple hours and she was still bouncing off the walls. She also jumped all over the place even inside completely overwhelming for me. Then she wasn't potty trained (came from a rural shelter with puppies). One time I took her out and then brought her in. Immediately she ran upstairs and pooped on my bed. It was a horrible experience and I took her back.

A year or so later I decided to try again but stick to my guns to get a small dog. Gave up on the rescue organizations (mostly) and started visiting a nearby shelter. I was surprised that during the 2 weeks I watched I saw many small dogs including 2-3 Shih Tzu's. I think getting a shelter dog from the county is a great option but requires dedications, disappline (can't bring home the first cut or pitiful dog you see) and lots of research or knowledge in animal behavior.

On this round, I did call a rescue with a Bichon. The woman was very sweet and they did give me the approval to come meet the dog but also informed me that the adoption fee for this dog was $500 because she was a pure bred. This really bothered me because this dog was very likely a puppy mill dog (or the breeder wouldn't have taken her back) that the guy that gave her up paid under $500 for.

We ended up getting our Nova (a 1 year old Shih Tzu) from a family off of Craigs List looking to rehome him. Although from an individual, I still consider my dog I got for a $100 rehoming fee a rescue.

loewenthal.anna

I'm split in four parts on this issue

Anna #1: Remembers quite well what it was like when I **worked** at a shelter (I thought that was a good reference) and then tried to adopt via a private all-breed rescue and was told I was "too young", "too inexperienced", and "couldn't provide for the dog" (Note here: The dog was a 5 year old English Bulldog with Demodex, the illness is WHY I applied for him. . . I didn't think anyone else would want a scaly pink bulldog)

Anna #2: Agrees with everyone who said public shelters are the way to go. Those are the people who are down in the trenches of the disposable-pet epidemic. They take in everything from pet rats, to 17 year old Poodles, to cats born with their intestines on the outside. UNLIKE private rescues that can pick and choose who they decide to help, the shelter gets what the community brings in, period. If you want to save money on a purebred, hit up the shelter early on a Saturday, as soon as they open. You'd be surprised how many of the dogs you "don't qualify" for in private rescue came right out of the pound down the street. It will take time to find the right baby going this route, no lie. The easy-to-adopt dogs sometimes get snatched up before they're even advertisedor "available". But if you ask me, it's still a worthy endeavor. Cut out the middle man!

Anna #3: Could share stories for YEARS about the politics of private rescue. The "agreeing" to take in say, a 5 year old Bulldog with demodex, in exchange for the city shelter "allowing" them to take 5 9 week old adorable small-breed puppies. You think I'm kidding. They use the "crappy dogs" as bargaining chips for the "cute ones". . . the "cute ones" are what make them money A) because they tend to have fewer medical bills than my bully buddy did, and :bdaycake: because they can charge a higher "adoption fee" and still say that they are "better than buying"

I got out of private rescue because I felt these practices were disgusting. It was misleading to the public to say they were saving animals, when really the hardest any of them worked at it was to call the various shelters in the area and ask for a list of newly impounded dogs. The ONE glaring exception is the bulldog rescue I worked with who actively sought out guys like my Demodex friend, BECAUSE bully's have such special needs. They had a tough time making ends meet (most of their adoptive families paid in the hundreds of dollars for their new pets), and even then they needed their fabulous vet who didn't charge for most of what he did, but I loved that they went for the "uglies" in their breed and prioritized helping those dogs first. So, there are exceptions.

Anna #4: is reacting as someone who breeds dogs and asks far more than "cash or check?". While I [clearly] understand the frustrations that come with adopting, as someone who's seen some true heartbreak stories I worry about ANY breeder that seems more concerned with the bottom line than the puppy. In my mind, you cannot consider yourself a responsible breeder if you have not worked in rescue, and if you cannot ALWAYS take those puppies back, even when they are 12 and dying of an incurable illness. Breeding is 10x the responsibility of owning a dog. An owner agrees to do well by that one puppy for it's life; a good breeder agrees to do well by ALL the dogs they've EVER bred for all of their lives!

What I like most about the freedom that the buyer/breeder relationship offers is the right for they BUYER to ask questions. Which we all should be doing! Ask your Shih-Tzu breeder about JRD, and nutrition, and proper coat maintenance. . . if they can't provide you with more information than a quick Google search, they likely don't know enough about the breed. I for instance, would never purchase from a Tzu breeder who keeps their dogs kenneled. In my mind it goes against what these dogs were bred for. You'd be shocked to find out how many big-name show breeders do just that with their dogs though, for various reasons. There are people on all ends of the spectrum who treat their dogs like commodities, and as buyers it's our job to find the people who actually care and give them our business. My hope is that these negative experiences with rescue don't end up motivating people (and I mean all people, not those of you here) to take the first puppy they find, or the cheapest, or the closest. . . because I think we all know that these things do not ensure that that puppy is the best FOR THEM. The sooner we as a whole can stop falling victim to instant gratification and wait for that perfect dog, the sooner those unsavory "bottom line" breeders will find that they no longer have an audience.

Wow, you seem to have picked an EXTREMELY relevant topic to many of us! Thanks for giving us all the opportunity to share and commiserate with you!

MY experience with rescue organizations was bad too. Most rescues wouldn't give me the time of day (all the small dog rescue organizations in my area won't adopt to people with kids under 8) because I had a small child and the ones that did would only give me a larger dog and convinced me that that was the way to go with a child in the house even though I've never been particularly comfortable with large dogs. I finally found a rescue that worked out of her own house (she actually seemed a little iffy) and was convinced all families should have a lab. We got a female 1 year old lab that seemed very easy going at her house. We got her home. I couldn't exercise her enough with a little townhouse and little back yard. I took her for this huge walk outside for a couple hours and she was still bouncing off the walls. She also jumped all over the place even inside completely overwhelming for me. Then she wasn't potty trained (came from a rural shelter with puppies). One time I took her out and then brought her in. Immediately she ran upstairs and pooped on my bed. It was a horrible experience and I took her back.

A year or so later I decided to try again but stick to my guns to get a small dog. Gave up on the rescue organizations (mostly) and started visiting a nearby shelter. I was surprised that during the 2 weeks I watched I saw many small dogs including 2-3 Shih Tzu's. I think getting a shelter dog from the county is a great option but requires dedications, disappline (can't bring home the first cut or pitiful dog you see) and lots of research or knowledge in animal behavior.

On this round, I did call a rescue with a Bichon. The woman was very sweet and they did give me the approval to come meet the dog but also informed me that the adoption fee for this dog was $500 because she was a pure bred. This really bothered me because this dog was very likely a puppy mill dog (or the breeder wouldn't have taken her back) that the guy that gave her up paid under $500 for.

We ended up getting our Nova (a 1 year old Shih Tzu) from a family off of Craigs List looking to rehome him. Although from an individual, I still consider my dog I got for a $100 rehoming fee a rescue.

The shih tzu you got from his original family that no longer wanted him certainly was a rescue!!! That's how I got my Gizmo. His original family had all his vetting done, got him neutered and everything, and then just handed him over to us when he was 7 months old. No adoption fee or anything, but then they know my husband as they are customers of his. But you should consider that rescue. He was unwanted!

I'm split in four parts on this issue

Anna #1: Remembers quite well what it was like when I **worked** at a shelter (I thought that was a good reference) and then tried to adopt via a private all-breed rescue and was told I was "too young", "too inexperienced", and "couldn't provide for the dog" (Note here: The dog was a 5 year old English Bulldog with Demodex, the illness is WHY I applied for him. . . I didn't think anyone else would want a scaly pink bulldog)

Anna #2: Agrees with everyone who said public shelters are the way to go. Those are the people who are down in the trenches of the disposable-pet epidemic. They take in everything from pet rats, to 17 year old Poodles, to cats born with their intestines on the outside. UNLIKE private rescues that can pick and choose who they decide to help, the shelter gets what the community brings in, period. If you want to save money on a purebred, hit up the shelter early on a Saturday, as soon as they open. You'd be surprised how many of the dogs you "don't qualify" for in private rescue came right out of the pound down the street. It will take time to find the right baby going this route, no lie. The easy-to-adopt dogs sometimes get snatched up before they're even advertisedor "available". But if you ask me, it's still a worthy endeavor. Cut out the middle man!

Anna #3: Could share stories for YEARS about the politics of private rescue. The "agreeing" to take in say, a 5 year old Bulldog with demodex, in exchange for the city shelter "allowing" them to take 5 9 week old adorable small-breed puppies. You think I'm kidding. They use the "crappy dogs" as bargaining chips for the "cute ones". . . the "cute ones" are what make them money A) because they tend to have fewer medical bills than my bully buddy did, and :head_hurts_kr: because they can charge a higher "adoption fee" and still say that they are "better than buying"

I got out of private rescue because I felt these practices were disgusting. It was misleading to the public to say they were saving animals, when really the hardest any of them worked at it was to call the various shelters in the area and ask for a list of newly impounded dogs. The ONE glaring exception is the bulldog rescue I worked with who actively sought out guys like my Demodex friend, BECAUSE bully's have such special needs. They had a tough time making ends meet (most of their adoptive families paid in the hundreds of dollars for their new pets), and even then they needed their fabulous vet who didn't charge for most of what he did, but I loved that they went for the "uglies" in their breed and prioritized helping those dogs first. So, there are exceptions.

Anna #4: is reacting as someone who breeds dogs and asks far more than "cash or check?". While I [clearly] understand the frustrations that come with adopting, as someone who's seen some true heartbreak stories I worry about ANY breeder that seems more concerned with the bottom line than the puppy. In my mind, you cannot consider yourself a responsible breeder if you have not worked in rescue, and if you cannot ALWAYS take those puppies back, even when they are 12 and dying of an incurable illness. Breeding is 10x the responsibility of owning a dog. An owner agrees to do well by that one puppy for it's life; a good breeder agrees to do well by ALL the dogs they've EVER bred for all of their lives!

What I like most about the freedom that the buyer/breeder relationship offers is the right for they BUYER to ask questions. Which we all should be doing! Ask your Shih-Tzu breeder about JRD, and nutrition, and proper coat maintenance. . . if they can't provide you with more information than a quick Google search, they likely don't know enough about the breed. I for instance, would never purchase from a Tzu breeder who keeps their dogs kenneled. In my mind it goes against what these dogs were bred for. You'd be shocked to find out how many big-name show breeders do just that with their dogs though, for various reasons. There are people on all ends of the spectrum who treat their dogs like commodities, and as buyers it's our job to find the people who actually care and give them our business. My hope is that these negative experiences with rescue don't end up motivating people (and I mean all people, not those of you here) to take the first puppy they find, or the cheapest, or the closest. . . because I think we all know that these things do not ensure that that puppy is the best FOR THEM. The sooner we as a whole can stop falling victim to instant gratification and wait for that perfect dog, the sooner those unsavory "bottom line" breeders will find that they no longer have an audience.

Wow, you seem to have picked an EXTREMELY relevant topic to many of us! Thanks for giving us all the opportunity to share and commiserate with you!

Very good post Anna!

Carolina Girl

I completely agree. My Ozzy came from the local animal control. He was dropped off by his owners because they had just found out that they were having a baby. He was fully vetted, and had just been neutered. He cost me less than $100. There was no screening process at all. I was there less than an hour. I look everyday online at the same shelter to see if another has come up for adoption. None yet. I am just going to sit back and wait.

Out here, and I'm sure at many shelters, you can apply for an adoption and be approved *before* you find the animal you want. Then, when the one you want comes in, you don't have to wait behind others who want the dog or cat and have already been approved--you can have first dibs.

All my animals except for my shih tzu are rescue/shelter animals or I have found them (3 kittens--all at different times, which we kept) in the woods or born beneath buildings. I consider those gifts from God or Mother Nature. My children are 100% for adoption. So even though I do some breeding and want my dogs to be good examples of the breed, all my other animals are "gifts"--and I honor and respect anyone who cares for another living creature.

loewenthal.anna

Out here, and I'm sure at many shelters, you can apply for an adoption and be approved *before* you find the animal you want. Then, when the one you want comes in, you don't have to wait behind others who want the dog or cat and have already been approved--you can have first dibs.

All my animals except for my shih tzu are rescue/shelter animals or I have found them (3 kittens--all at different times, which we kept) in the woods or born beneath buildings. I consider those gifts from God or Mother Nature. My children are 100% for adoption. So even though I do some breeding and want my dogs to be good examples of the breed, all my other animals are "gifts"--and I honor and respect anyone who cares for another living creature.

That's a great way to think about it! Some of the best animals I have ever owned have been rescues, and even those who were only with me for a few months/years were an asset to my home, no question.

Like you I seem to have two different parts of my brain when it comes to pet ownership. There are the dogs I have purchased in the spirit of bettering a breed, but also those animals who have found me. I don't think those two endeavors need to be mutually exclusive and as I said before, I think that rescue is an imperative experience for anyone who chooses to bring additional life into this world. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way!

• 1 month later...

I can understand your feelings on these matters. I know of a semi-local "rescue" that only takes dogs from a semi-local puppy-mill after the breeders are done with them. I have raised Shih-tzus for over 20 years now.. all of them passed their Therapy tests the first time they took them.. yet she didn't consider me "qualified" to take one of her rescues.

I have some friends who run the German Shorthair Rescue and I have to applaud the job they do. Their job is to cycle the dogs into "forever" homes as quickly as reasonable.. but if a match doesn't work out that animal HAS to come back to the rescue and no place else. I have already been told that because of my work with Wachter and how well he does I would be approved for a rescue from them anytime I said the word. Even if I don't have the fence and my dogs are "kenneled" while I am at work. (BTW the beast has not been Therapy tested because I don't feel he is ready for it.. he is just too rowdy for a nursing home, yet he passed his Canine Good citizenship test with flying colors AFTER he jumped on the judge's lap for hugs and kisses.)

It has basically been my experience with the rescues for the smaller more "cute" breeds .. they tend to be more in for the money while some of the rescues for the larger breeds that tend to have stronger reputations.. they are in it to protect the breed standards.

Carrie