Diciplining the Puppies

gizmo's mom

I have a somewhat similar situation. Gizmo is 2 and half. Bella is 2. Bella is my neighbor/friends dog. We puppy-sit A LOT for each other. To the point that the majority of the time, the dogs are together.

Bella is the toy, bone, chewy stealer. And Gizmo lets her. He could care less. He could have something and totally let her have it if she wants it. He's sooooo aloof.

But now, if she's gets all excited, playful and wants him to play, he very quickly gets defensive and moves to the highest area (back of the couch) where he knows she can't get at him. He'll bark, growl, moan, whine (he's unbelievablt vocal) at her. She'll just cock her head to the side, like "what's up?!"

I really think that Gizmo is the "alpha", he just lets her boss him around some like an annoying little sister. He never gets mean, just loud.

borzoimom

Crating them at bone time does not solve the problem. The problem you need to solve is " I decide whom has what, here is yours and relax..."

My neighbors give my 3 beef flavored dingos last night. So I came home gave them dingos, they each went to each others bones and sniffed finally realizing they all had the same flavor and the same thing and I was really surprised that there was no snarling or growling at each other.

Lea went to the pillow that was in the floor, Bert went to the dog bed and Maci went to the rug.

And btw I would never buy a dingo! lol it got caked on maci's paw and around her nail. I only let them have it since I did their dogs nails for free and its not something they will normally get.

shihtzumomof2

Poor Rally....LOL....Pasley is such a diva! My Kylie gets like that, but only with Cricket. She will tear after Cricket growling and put her in her place. I don't let her get away with it. She gets the naughty face from me. That is too funny though.

• 3 weeks later...
MickiNRooney

Wow! Look at her! Poor little Sawyer (I'm partial to boys). Dogs become possessive of the bones. I would definitely separate when they have bones. They can't share them! Plus if she does that then she should be in time out as soon as she snaps.

kcsheperd

I don't think dogs understand "time out" that is a human term that we use. Dogs would never be put in a 'time out' by thier littermates, or their parents. If you crate your dog, you always want the crate to be a positive time, and putting them in them and saying NO to them would make them associate negativity with the crate.. However, the irony of all this, is that I have been working with Payslee, and 'claiming' the bones as mine first, then putting them down, and right now She, Sawyer, and Rally are all eating their bones in a happy circle and acting very nice.. So hooray! Maybe the manners class is working!

MickiNRooney

I didn't say anything about a crate. Time out could be as simple as moving her out of the room and away from the pack. If done immediately after the behavior then eventually they get the point. Being with the pack is the reward. Being in a different room is the punishment.

Good luck with your dog.

Kae+Gizzy

No ideas here, I have a spoilt brat of a Tzu that does the same things to me as Pay's is doing to Sawyer LOL. We had abit of drama trying to get my daughters sock off him earlier.

Pay's makes me giggle, she is so spirited and fiesty!

borzoimom

KC its not 'time out' in the sense we know it with children. It was a reference to the length of time the dog is removed in " another task" - ie a "stay"- the game is over of trying to get the bones.

kcsheperd

Thanks for all the imput.. I've found that with Payslee (IMO) taking her away from the situation doesn't work. She doesn't learn anything from that. What worked with the bones is me 'claiming' them first.. I put 3 bones down at 3 separate corners.. If Payslee tries to go to the others I correct her, and after a few weeks of doing this, like I said, they were all in a circle eating their bones, and being jolly. I think you have to do what works for your dogs. "Time Outs" don't work for Payslee. They would probably work for Rally, but Payslee is very independent, and she was like "Oh, not with the pack, who cares!".. Just like kids, they all have different personalities, thats why I have loveed all the suggestions for this, because I could try each one, and see what works, and now others can learn as well.. so thank you everyone!

LondonGirl

Very interesting discussion. May I make some observations?

In a pack YOU are the leader (alpha) THEY will decide the remainder of the hierarchy. Having said that, I always feed and treat in the order in which mine came home - no feelings are hurt - it's just the way it is to them. But the dominant one always arrives for meals/treats first and waits patiently LOL.

I agree that crating should never be a punishment, whether or not they understand time-out. The crate should be a safe haven for each dog, a place to rest, a private place, somewhere to feel secure. Multiples using one crate are not a good idea IMO as it could cause aggressive behaviour. Just think 'puppymills'.

I have no real problems about them guarding their own food/treats from other dogs, although I do try to discourage it, but believe it is essential that they be trained to drop whatever is in their mouth instantly on command. They may pick up something when out and about or even thrown onto your property that could seriously hurt or kill them unless they respond, without fail, to a DROP IT command (or whatever you choose to say).

All their little foibles are cute I agree, but need to be understood. I am not trying to be a party-pooper but I was born with and, I expect, have owned dogs for more years than many of you have been around. You can call me grandma if you must :)

kcsheperd

Lorraine, I totally agree, and thats why I haven't been too Crazy with Payslee, because she NEVER tries to stop me from getting the bone. She will let me take anything away from her, and drop it when I ask. All my dogs do, thats why I'm not thinking its an 'agression' issue that I'm dealing with as more of it being a 'status' issue..but either way, as I mentioned, she is doing much better, and being more polite about the eating of the bones. And Lorraine, I am NOT calling you a grandma!! lol.. :)

KC, personally I think you went about this just perfectly. You tried suggestions from others and in the end found what worked for Payslee AND for you. Best of both worlds. Your little Payslee is just more energetic in personality than the others and what might work for Saw or Rally, may just not work for her.....good for you for figuring it out.....NOW, will you come train mine?????