standing rib roast

I have a 5.50 lbs. standing rib roast - just wondering how long should I cook it for if I want it to me rare. I know that once out of the oven, I should cover the roast w/ foil and let it stand for 15 minutes (at which time the internal temp. will continue to rise for a few more degrees). I was told that I should preheat the oven for 450F and cook the roast for 15 min. and then reduce the temp. to 325F and cook it till the desired done-ness. But how long should I leave it in the oven for at 325F? Since 5.50 lbs. is not that big (for 3 people) I don't want to overcook the meat (esp. when it continues to "cook" while sitting after it comes of of the oven!). Yes I am no cook =( Thanks for any feedback =)

borzoimom

My husband is telling me - " do you have a meat thermometer? If so- start in a preheated 500 degree oven) for 30 minutes uncovered. After 30 minutes reduce heat to 350. Wait for it to reach the meat thermomenter temp of 135 degrees. Remove from oven, let it sit at room temp then covered lightly with foil for at least 20 minutes before carving. Do NOT pull the thermomenter out while its cooling down.

***Thermomenter placement is critical, do not place thermomenter by the bone- it will give a false reading. and make sure the theromemeter is not in the fat"... ( he is the standing rib roast KING! )

** /edit- bone is down- and a fairly shallow pan for even heating.

Edited by borzoimom
borzoimom

also- meat should be at room temp before you cook it. This allows the blood enzymes to soak into the meat to make the meat juicey.

MisterMom

Thermometer is $10 bucks. Well worth the money. I prefer to cook to 145 and cool.

borzoimom

We like ours rare so we do 135 and also it continues to cook after being taken out of the oven.. I love a standing rib roast..

luvinpreciousntoby

I love a standing rib roast.. Yum Yum... you making me hungry as I knaw on a pretzel... darn diet...

CrazyTzuLady

Oh my favorite!!! I also cook mine the same as Michelle and her hubby it turns out perfect everytime!

Mia? How did it turn out?

I sometimes see standing rib roasts in the store, but that's about as close as I can afford to get to them.

#drooling#

Thanks ladies for all the feedbacks - I haven't make it yet - will do so this Thursday, having a friend over for dinner (she is all bummed out 'cause someone from another company has been stealing her clients and is afraid for her job security).

I think I will pull the roast out at around 120 to 125 degrees. Thinking of making a horseradish/sour cream sauce to go with the roast (also doing it au jus as well - will add some beef stock and merlot in it to make it nice), some nice crusty warm bread and a big salad. Will have to buy a dessert since I can't do baked goods to save my neck!