Something odd about this rescue

xxcookiexx

I am hoping that you can help me. I went to a rescue in Middletown NY to adopt a baby Shih tzu. The rescue is called name removed and there is definetely something weird about them. I paid $650 to the rescue and the dog was really sick with pneumonia. The vet says that $650 is too much and that no real rescue asks that much money. Also, the rescue had a TON on puppies and I think most of them were really dirty. When I wrote to the woman, Maria to tell her that Buster was sick, she never returned my calls or e-mails. DO you think this is really a rescue?

Sounds like a puppy mill disguising itself as a rescue but I could be totally wrong.

I looked up this organization on line.thought you might be interested.http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080328/COMM/803280305/-1/NEWS14

Paste the above & it should take you to the article

loewenthal.anna

We had a rescue like that one here. . . they recently had their license revoked for animal neglect and falsifying vet papers. Turns out they had been shut down in MO and AL also and had 5 adult dogs adopted out who subsequently died of Parvo (2-7 days after being brought home) among many many other issues including money fraud. -- I have officially become skeptical when it comes to rescues that give an "off" impression!

As for the article you found: I don't trust ANY rescue that knowingly walks into mills and pays for their "reject puppies" (which is what happens, they get the dogs for the price the labs would pay, usually $25 or so for young and/or cute breeds) call me naive but I feel like if you're going to rescue you cannot also support millers, even if it's only $200 here and there. Same goes for folks who buy out brokers, pet stores, etc. . . if there is an exchange of money it feels counter productive for me. If millers know they can just unload their discards they will never feel the pressure to breed responsibly!

If you are curious about how legit your rescue is I would contact your local department of animal health. All rescues need to be licensed with the state in which they operate and that office is generally the easiest to get on the phone (although you could call the IRS and check on their 501c3 status also) -- the findings of their yearly checks should be available to you and will indicate if they have ever received citations and what they were cited for.

FairyTail Josette

I just wanted to welcome you to Chatter. :) I'm so sorry your puppy has had pneumonia. How is your furbaby doing now?

I missed the boat here,I didnt realise you were a new member. :) to STCT

I hope your little Buster gets well.I admire people with rescue pups so much.At least you will know he is going to have a forever home with you.Cant wait to see some pics of this little guy.

I am sorry, I have no clue, but I surely wanted to welcome you to STCT. You have come across a great place and a lot of people to share some valuable information. Plus, we have great fun and make great friends. BUT, we do LOVE pics, so let us see that little guy when you can.

LondonGirl

Hi and welcome. So sorry your dog has pneumonia. I hope Buster makes a full recovery and you have many happy, healthy years together.

For what it may be worth, here are two reports on Little Forgotten Friends, although I do find it unusual there are only two (both dated only yesterday), considering how long the rescue centre is said to have been around:

ripoffreport.com/searchresults.asp?q5=little+forgotten+friends&Search=Search&q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search%21

This 3 year old post MAY shed a different light on how they get their puppymill dogs (do a quick FIND on Maria name removed to see how many dogs she took in at that time). animalliberationfront.com/News/2006_06/puppymillliberation.htm

You say you went to the rescue so I am assuming you (and your Vet) live fairly locally. Did you tell your Vet where you got Buster from? If so, it is curious your Vet does not seem to have heard of them as an acknowledged, reputable rescue centre - if that is what they are.

luvinpreciousntoby

Welcome to chatter.. and I hope he gets better soon

• 2 weeks later...
xxcookiexx

I found this review online about this Little Forgotten Friends Rescue:

I work at a vet hospital and one of our clients bought a puppy from this rescue for $650. They had made an appointment in advance, so they brought the puppy straight from the puppy to our vet. The puppy was really sick and had parasites, giardia, coccidia and roundworm. The puppy also had pneumonia. We see a lot of rescue dogs in our vets office and we were all shocked at the condition of this tiny puppy that could not have been more than 8 weeks old. Furthermore, the puppy smelled horrible and was covered in feces. The vet bill to cure this puppy was over $2000 and the dog needed to be hospitalized. From what the client told us during follow ups, the owner of the rescue showed no sympathy for either the puppy or what the owners had gone through. Sounds more like a puppymill than a rescue!

CrazyTzuLady

That is so sad. :dede:

How is your little Buster doing now?

ShihtzuBeauty

I'm soo sorry for your experience and the pain your baby has had to go through. :P I would like to ask that you refrain from making any other posts regarding the rescue itself and naming them they aren't here to defend themselves and it could be perceived as slander. :dede:

How is Buster doing?

Sunlite

I heard from the owner that was mentioned in this site:

I have been awared of the recent chatter about my rescue. There is one member who asked them to refrain from slandering our name and I truly appreciate that she has done so. I would like to clear up any doubt within anybody's mind. The person who is writing these posts did not even adopt a dog form me, she came here to volunteer and I sent her home due to ..... (I will refrain from posting the rest)

Since then I have been reported to the spca as well as slandered on about 6 different websites....Today, July 26th I has the Sheriffs department here to investigate. I am welcoming you to call her to hear of her finding here. The following is her contact info......Police officer Gina......(I will refrain from posting the rest)

I would appreciate if there was no further bashing of this rescues good name, we works very hard here and to have somebody discredit our efforts is heart wrenching....thank you

ps. after calling the officer I would appreciate the slanders remarks being removed.

This topic is closed as far as I'm concerned as there's just not enough proof, and I am not going to play jury without any real evidence, thats not why we're here. I am also removing the name of this organization as well but the links will remain, just unclickable, from our posts as well. Thank you for understanding.