my new little rehomedog

tunisianswife

tunisianswife

was not actively looking, but was thinking that I would consider getting another. I've taken in a little fella that is just a dollbaby that was a rehome. very long story-the condensed version is: dad lost his job in Feb, mom and dad just got custody of 2 yr. old grandson that is severly autistic and have to take him several times a week for therapies, evaluations, tests, etc., and...mom is a bipolar who when she gets into those manic phases will go out and get dogs, birds, cats, etc. (learned that from dad today).

He will be 1 yr. on sept. 6th. this is the first dog I have had that was not adopted. and of course, he is a tzu!

I talked to the mom on the phone for over 2 hrs. last night. they live about 1.5 hrs. from me. Dad had to come to Cincinnati today to take daughter to dentist so we made arrangements to meet at a mall. I brought my lhasa for a meet and greet to see how it would go. went very well. dog definitely needs grooming baaaadly. No signs of abuse at all, but a bit of neglect in the grooming/vet checkup department. I called my vet this morning with the possibility and was able to go directly to vet for shots, heartworm check and made an appt. next Monday to be neutered. Dog had never used leash "we have 3.5 acres" :) I know, intact and free to roam. Dr. Bob plucked WADS of matted hair out of his ears just to be able to get in to take a look which surprisingly, no irritation or redness in the ears! I have acetic acid/boric acid/gentamycin ear wash that I used on him after I brought him home and bathed him, clipped his toenails(loooooonnnng) *and they gave me a pedipaw. I don't believe it had been used by the looks of the nails. I took an extra leash which was a good thing because he didn't have one. :) I know. he did have a collar and a flea collar. I clipped about 2.5 inches of hair from between his pads, and about 1.5 inches from the end of his little williwanker. Bless his heart, he SLEPT while I trimmed all that, and clipped his nails. He's so good with a bath. he only barked at my husband when he came home today to check in but was not a growl bark-just a 'who are you?' bark. then proceeded to follow him around the house. rides great in a car, just sits and looks at the cat, does not even attempt to play with her.

as for the dogs....I slowly introduced them, let them sniff, but the only problem is when he attempts to sniff their butts--my other two get ornary and make alot of wild vicious noises but there have been no big set toos. He doesn't attempt to growl or bully back-he just immediately backs off. I've kept a constant vigil--I know that it is going to take a bit for everyone to figure out their pecking order.

we went for a walk tonight and there were no set-tos at all. 1 double leash and one single. He does not fight the leash at all. Just going to take me a little time to figure out what all works best with the walks.

there has been absolutely no food aggression between the three. I set out three dishes and they would go from dish to dish and even if there was 2 in one dish, no problems there.

I feel a little bit like a nervous new mom, of course I am trying not to show any nerves, I don't want them to sense it. There was one little set to a while a go at the door; not sure what transpired, as I was putting everyone's leashes on and there was a scuffle-but he doesn't scuffle. he just backs off. Right now, all three are sleeping near each other, new one is under my chair, lhasa under the pc desk, and other tzu is on the bed.

the only pic I have is the one I took off the pc from the post for the dog. You can see how bad the paws were with the overgrowth of hair. as soon as I got home from the vet, I called to get him groomed but because he just had his shots, I have to wait 2 days before they will take him for grooming so we have an appt. on thurs morning.

Oh, and he is housebroken except he marks his territory right now. I think the lhasa did that when I brought him home, don't remember the other tzu doing it. am hoping maybe once he is neutered? I have warted off marking several times, and immediately take him out. after he marks, I take him out too.

here's the pic that the people posted of him and I'll post more once I get him groomed.

tunisianswife

oh, I didn't tell you his name! haha they named him Max, but I'm not too sure if I'll keep that one.. I've tried Casey and Riley but am on the fence. went looking at names today but can't really figure out what his new one will be. Do you think it will confuse him?

CrazyTzuLady

Oh my goodness is he cute!!! :) Congratulations! I am so happy for the little guy. Now he has a home where he will be loved and taken care of properly. Bless you for taking him in. :) It sure is hard to pass these little guys up isn't it. I am so glad things are goind pretty smoothly so far. I look forward to more pics of him soon.

mr.coffee

Well, it sounds like a match that was meant to be...I can't imagine Harley sleeping through grooming of any sort! He's a sharp looking Tzu, we'll be wanting updated pictures of course!

-m

Bless you for taking this little cute man. I like the name Max! Looking forward to seeing more of him in the future, along with your other two :)

LondonGirl

Good for you and I'm so happy for the handsome little lad. :)

Yep - walking three at once can be interesting in the early days.

Well, congratulations to Max & his new Mommy!! God bless you reall good for taking one of His angels into your home. He is so precious, mats and all. Both of my rescues were matted so badly they had to be shaved completely. I hope your groomer doesn't have to do that to Max. Sounds like you did a great job in cleaning him up.

God bless those Grandparents for taking that precious grandchild to raise. I hope their daughter stays on her medicine... That is such a bad condition :)

Please psot new pictures soon :)

Oh my goodness, he is a beauty and you are a saint in my book for taking in this poor little fella. Sounds like all is going well for him in your family.

(ps. If I ever have another male shih tzu, I plan to name him Shackleton, after the explorer. You can borrow it if you like. I think Shack makes a great nickname, too)

kcsheperd

What a nice story, and so awesome of you for taking him in! He is a doll, and I bet he fits right in with the rest of your pack!

tunisianswife

thank you all for your kind words. such a nice community here. will get more pics once we go get groomed. :)

Wicket's mom

:) on your new beautiful baby!! That's so great that he now has a nice home where he will be loved and cared for, I can't wait to see pics after his grooming!

ShihtzuBeauty

:P For giving him a Wonderful forever home. :debbi: He is Absolutely Adorable!!! :)

FairyTail Josette

:P Max is adorable! I love his name. Bless your heart for giving him love and a furever home. YOU are an angel on earth. We EXPECT loads of pics and updates on Max!

borzoimom

oh, I didn't tell you his name! haha they named him Max, but I'm not too sure if I'll keep that one.. I've tried Casey and Riley but am on the fence. went looking at names today but can't really figure out what his new one will be. Do you think it will confuse him?

With a dog that has been in a not good situation, changing the name is a great idea. It gives a new identity- ie nothing negative linked with that " word"... This " new word" ie new name is linked with love and caring etc.

/edit- He looks like a Gepetto to me... ( pronounced ja-pet- toe)

Edited by borzoimom
Carolina Girl

I think that Maz is a cute name. But if you want to change it, you should. Ozzy's name was originally Pepper. It just did not fit him. At the shelter they said if I change his name, make it something that sounds like Pepper. What the heck sounds like Pepper??? Anyway, I was just going to leave it Pepper to not confuse him. Finally my husband said that if I did not like the name, that I should just change it. He said we would have him for many years and that 15 years would be a long time to live with a name that I did not like. It only took about 1 day for him to respond to Ozzy. Congratulations on your new love! :congrats:

Oops. I meant Max, not Maz!

tunisianswife

aah Michelle, I love the name Giapetto! only problem is, I have to use something that rolls of hubby's tongue easily. this morning I made suggestions and he liked Casey, so I guess that is what he'll be. I end up calling them all sweetie, sweatheart, sweetiepie, honey most of the time anyway! LOL

kcsheperd

So Susan, are you saying I have a good dogs name?? :P:) :roflmao:

borzoimom

aah Michelle, I love the name Giapetto! only problem is, I have to use something that rolls of hubby's tongue easily. this morning I made suggestions and he liked Casey, so I guess that is what he'll be. I end up calling them all sweetie, sweatheart, sweetiepie, honey most of the time anyway! LOL

Eeks... Sorry- I did not think of that... Besides if hubby likes the name that will help alot with the situation.

I think if you change the name, he will be fine with it in a very short time. I think a lot of the time the "sound" of our voice and the pitch are what they really respond to until they begin to learn your words....I say go for it.

tunisianswife

I think you are right, Cathy. he is already responding to Casey.

• 4 months later...
PhantomLover007

Max is a handsome fella. Congrats on getting him