mmmmm, smells like heaven.

mr.coffee

mr.coffee

Been getting tired of chicken breast cooked 50 ways...not that I'm bad at it, I grill some mean chicken. So anyway, I hit the grocery last night and they had a good deal on pork spareribs. Said, hmm, haven't fired up the smoker in a while. Bought two racks and a bottle of Stubb's, came home and set some mesquite to soaking.

First thing this morning, I get up, pull the ribs out of the fridge to let them rest, and go clean the smoker. Done with that, I toss the ribs on the counter and head to the spice rack, cabinet, fridge, hey, let's improvise. I never can repeat a recipe. Start with a generous application of sea salt - not as coarse as kosher but not as fine or strong as table salt. Follow it up with a shake of cayenne and two shakes of Pride of Szeged hot paprika - not the wimpy stuff you use to garnish plates in the restaurant, the ~real~ paprika! Hit it with a liberal squirt of Zatarain's Creole mustard and couple lines of ordinary yellow mustard, a splash of Crystal hot sauce, a splash of Worcestershire, and a splash of dark soy sauce. That stuff is great, it's thick and sweet and great for cooking. I love the Asian market! Anyway, I digress. Rub it all down, oh, that looks good and smells good....grab the other rack and repeat the whole thing. By now it's about 10:00...I go get the smoker put back together, grab the cleaver (another goody from the Asian market!) and lop off enough of each rack of ribs to make them fit on each rack of smoker and fire it up. Good.

Let's go surf STCT, squeeze in some cardio and crunches, play with the furbaby...

2:00 rolls around and I go to top off the water bowl in the smoker, OMG this is gonna be good. I don't rightly know how I'm gonna keep my fingers out of this meat until dinnertime! I mean, it really does smell like heaven. The sauce will be brushed on at the last minute...

-m

borzoimom

Uh Mike- because of your post, when I went to blooms I saw that they had beef cut center cut ribs on sale... So- guess what we are having this weekend???? :dede:

mr.coffee

Hey, nothin' wrong with that, Michelle, ribs are good!!!

Suzi, you would not believe how they turned out. I hit them with some of that Stubb's BBQ sauce about 20 minutes before I brought them in, then again when I served them. They were moist and tender, dark and smoky, with just the right amount of kick and a hint of underlying sweetness, probably the best ribs I've ever done. Truth be told, I picked at them before I put the sauce on, and they'd have been great served dry too, but that wasn't the plan. And there's a bunch left over for lunch today!

But wait, there's more...breakfast is coming in a new thread!

-m

Wicket's mom

:P Sounds delicious! I was just wondering what to make for supper tomorrow...I'm thinking we're gonna have some ribs now..

MisterMom

Too hot here since the end of May to cook outside. I have 4 different smokers, but am a fair weathersmoker. So I figured out how to do it in the oven and get close to outdoor cooking.

Pork Baby Backs

Line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil. There is a membrane on the bone side that you can strip off, or take a sharp knife and cut slots in it every 2 or 3 ribs.

Rub ribs on one side with Olive oil & Worcestershire, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and pat it into the oil. Sprinkle with bbq dry rub and pat it in. Turn over and repeat. I cook meat side up.

Set oven to 225 - 250. Put ribs on middle rack. Cook 2.5 hours uncovered. Cover and tightly wrap with aluminum foil and cook 2.5 hours. Uncover and cook for 1 hour. The last 15 minutes turn the oven to 400 broil to brown the ribs if needed. Brush on any bbq sauce that you might want to use.

mr.coffee

Oh, yeah, the low & slow in the oven is handy. I've even been known to start things in the smoker then move them to the oven to finish. I always liked doing a brisket with a simple dry rub of kosher salt, cracked black pepper, fresh ground mustard seed and cayenne - just put it all in a coffee grinder!

-m

Um, m, could you please teach my hubby to cook? He does fab on the grill, but other than that, can you say CAN'T even boil water????? ##### $$$$$ % %%% ^ ^ ^ &^ ^i[0q4i5rlajoraig;aleofrpIGEFHA'POGOAihsdFL I have been cooking for us for 31 years...dont' you think it is his turn?????

MisterMom

My wife tried boiling water last week, burnt it !!! I've been cooking for 45 years !!

My wife tried boiling water last week, burnt it !!! I've been cooking for 45 years !!

:):D:hysterical: Then I guess it isn't totally a "gender" thing..

mr.coffee

Actually, Shannon and I really enjoy cooking together. There are certain things she's better at, and I have my own specialties. For example, we occasionally do a traditional meal of wienerschnitzel, spaetzl, and sauerkraut. I'll season and bread the meat, then she'll fry it while I boil the spaetzl. :congrats: It's one of my favorite ways to spend time with her.

-m

CrazyTzuLady

Oooh Mike sounds yummy!

I love to cook it's one of my favorite things to do. As long as I don't have to bake I hate baking!