If you have been turned down....

FairyTail Josette

FairyTail Josette

I have started to work with Peke A Tzu rescue. I know some members here have been frustrated with the entire rescue process and being turned down due to not having a fenced in yard, or, children. If so, PLEASE, read the following link:

Adopting.

Many dogs available for adoption at rescues, are retired breeders from puppy mills. Please, take note of the Flight Risk comments in the above link. You can thank the horrible, abusive millers or the previous owner that kicked, hit with their fists, etc. for the dog's distress and fear. Because, of the past abuse many of these dogs have suffered, they run off! They try to get out of their harness, collars, anything to get away. Living in such horrid conditions, it's hard for them to now understand they are finally safe, so, they want to flee. Children are children...they make sudden movements, are loud and don't understand the impact this has on a dog. I think of it this way: if you were a foster mom or dad of an severely abused child, you would be over protective of whom would come into your home and adopt this child. I think of the old saying....there's a method to the madness. It's true, here. There is a reason they have to have such strict policies and procedures. It's really the millers and previous owners faults for all of this, not a rescue organization.

I hope this sheds some light on some previous issues that have beed discussed on this board. I found the above link to be so heartbreaking. I had no idea that some are terrified of garden hoses. I just wanted to put this info out there for everyone. :hysterical:

Thank you for posting that perspective to aid understanding of why rescue organisations seem so draconian in their rules.

My Westie was a puppy farm breeder bitch. At the time she was rescued she was found in great distress - she had been left to self-whelp (at only 10 months of age) and was unable to fully birth the first pup herself - the remaining pups died in the womb. I was a volunteer at the rescue where she and 200 others were taken and it was love at first sight - there was no way I could see her go to any other home but mine. She would have been extremely hard to place, anyway, but the centre knew I understood what I was taking on.

Daisy nearly died and we became almost permanent fixtures at the vets. The resulting infections left her so badly scarred internally that she cannot be spayed without very high risk because several of her internal organs are fused together by scar tissue. But I was 'lucky' in that I knew enough of her story to be able to understand her issues and was able to work through them with her.

In particular, she was terrified of grass, probably because she had never been anywhere but an indoors pen and initially she refused to go anywhere near it. Every day I spent hours sitting on the lawn, lying on the lawn, rolling around on it, throwing a ball and retrieving it myself and generally acting like an idiot while she watched from a concrete path a safe distance away. Eventually, after about 2 months, she tip-toed onto this green stuff and we had a cuddle while Mum got a very damp butt - it was January LOL.

My 'friends' and neighbours told me I was mad to go to all that trouble and expense and she would never be worth it... how little they knew :)

Carolina Girl

I agree, some dogs just need a fenced in yard. I can see them having that for certain dogs, just like I can see them having rules about kids with certain dogs. But......I don't agree that that should be an automatic for each and every dog. The rescue group that I was trying to go through did not do that case by case. They required a fenced in yard for every dog. They also would not adopt out to anyone with children under the age of 12. It should be case by case, not one big blanket rule for every single dog.

But I do see why some dogs need a fenced in yard....

tunisianswife

I can understand the reasoning, but I agree w/Ozzy's mom that it should be a case-by-case. not all of the dogs that are in the rescues are from mills. They are in fostercare before they are rehomed, so it just makes sense that issues can be addressed, figured out what the needs will be while in the foster's care. I just think that fences can give a false sense of security and should not be a be-all/end-all.

I'm to assume then also that every fosterhome cannot have any children under the age of 12, if that is also the adoption rules.

Edited by tunisianswife

Suzi, one of my dearest friends works with that rescue group. she adopted two precious little girls from them and does transport. I think that group is one of the best

Lorranie, your story blessed my heart! What a wonderful person you are to take her in and go to all that expense and trouble to make her know she is loved

CookieMonsterMommy

I deffinately understand better now, but I also agree that it should based on a case by case basis. Not all dogs in a rescue are from a puppy mill.

I applaude anyone who goes through the time, heart ache, and expense of taking in a puppy mill pup. I wish that I was in a situation to help, unfortunately I live in a small one bedroom apartment and don't think I could fit another animal in right now.

FairyTail Josette

Thank you Lorraine for sharing Daisy's story. Yes, your friends and neighbors were wrong. It's their loss to not experience Daisy's unconditional love and the gratifying experience that will be in your heart forever.

Thanks Suzi... at least my fences not only keep her in but they also keep 'suitors' out when she is in season! :ohyeah:

• 2 weeks later...
Shih Tzus Mama

Watching her take her first steps onto the grass must have felt so wonderful for you after all your time and patiences. I think I would have cried. :) What a wonderful rescue story.