crating question...please help!

My husband is in school, and today is his last day of summer break. We haven't had to crate Lullaby much at all beacuse my husband has been at home when I go to work. I'm so worried about what we're gonna do starting tomorrow!

I'm fortunate enough to have a job where I can take Lullaby with me to certain meetings and things, but she's definitely NOT allowed to go with me all the time.

Could you guys PLEASE let me know how you juggle work, school, appointments or whatever with owning a puppy?

We crate her when we're not home because I'm scared that she might chew on an electrical cord or something while we're gone. She is actually a really good dog, like all Shih Tzus, but still. I don't want to take any chances on coming home to find her hurt...or worse. We used to have a dog gate but she escaped from it.

She is really getting used to the crate (we record her while we're out and she is quiet almost the whole time) but she still doesn't really like it.

It's just my husband, Lullaby, and me...no kids or other family members to play with & take care of her while we're gone.

What to do???

Kay

I use a portable playpen. In the beginning Molly would toilet in it but I think that's because the playoen was big for her and it did take me a long while to break her of that habit. But it was the best solution I could come up with. Also I got good friends to come in and let her out to get some water, can't put that in a playpen.

Well I use my kitchen..(Nothing for the babes to get into or in reach of) I put them in there with baby gate, and before I leave I get them a couple of Kongs, and some tasty treats to chew on..They are ready for me to get out the door!! They don't notice that I am gone because they are too busy with their chewies and treats.. I also have their favorite round beds in there and their blankie. I used to put puppy pads down, but they never used them..and have taught themselves to hold it until I get home. I usually leave around 4am, and get home at 11am, and I've put a webcam up to watch what they are doing while I'm gone..They are so boring, all they do is sleep! lol.. So its really not as bad for them as we think it is.. They just sleep and wait till we get home! ;)

Yea I would do like KC does. Just double check cabinets etc. Leave out some toys and turn the radio on. ( as silence to a dog is danger or would worry if the puppy was hearing noises outside etc.)

What kind of gate do you have? I got one that is made for dogs, and Lullaby jumped out of it the 1st (and only) time I left her gated in the kitchen. I'd like to find a gate that works so she doesn't have to stay in her crate.

Kay

Well my guys if they really wanted too could jump any gate so i shut the door. That is why I would not use play pens as I know too many even with toy dogs that did the impossible- jump out of the play pen. If you use a gate- you need one at least 3 times the height at the head of your dog. ( full grown- remember a puppy has more " spring" in the take off) so that is a 36 inch gate for you.

Its a pretty tall gate.. Rally can still jump over it, but he can jump like a deer.. The babes have never tried to get out of it. I really think the deal is making it where they WANT t o stay in there..with their treats, toys, and the radio like Michelle suggested.. If you think she can jump it, just get a taller one Mine is a baby gate though, not a pet gate..Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I just got mine from Wal-Mart..

You want that gate high enough so they would not even 'try it'.. ( ie I would have to use a 6 foot 'gate" if that was all the restraint as I do not want an accident) . Remember- you will not be there to "rescue"... And puppies- well not like an adult that is more predictable.

Here is a joke- we have no kids here- none- yet we put child safety locks on all lower cabinets.. LOL..

chloechanel'smommy

I gate Chloe' off in the kitchen during the day with plenty of toys, her pee pad and water. Her crate is in there too so she can go in and out as she pleases. She will nap in there but goes crazy if you shut the door. The first gate I had she jumped over it. I had to get a taller one from Wal-mart.

Borzoimom, you go with shutting the door since your dogs are so big. Even though Lullaby is small I'm wondering if I should opt for a room where I can shut the door, like a bathroom? Our bathrooms are as big as (or bigger) than the kitchen. Lullaby already goes to both of them to nap throughout the day. The kitchen doesn't have a door. I think I might be worried sick all day if I tried the gate again. My husband thinks that if she can't see out (like if we left her in the bathroom), she would be anxious. Is that true?

Kay

Well, I know it is probably too late and you have come up with somethingn wonderful, but I would use a room that you can gate with a taller gate rather than close the door, because IF she gets anxious, she could ruin your door or the floor....just ask KC....

Perhaps it may be trial and error. You can also get taller xpens that could work in a larger room with no doors. Since she is used to the kennel, be sure to put it in the room, that will be her "safe" place. Glad you can do the webcam cause I am sure that will bring you comfort when you see she is okay and not fretting or getting hurt or damaging anything.

Good luck...you could also send her to me and I will GLADLY pupsit.... ;)

edited to add: by the way, we will be in Albequerque Oct 2 through the 5th. We are coming for the balloon fest. I am SOOOOO excited. Are you anywhere near, maybe we could hook up.

Edited by catnjr

Well, I know it is probably too late and you have come up with somethingn wonderful, but I would use a room that you can gate with a taller gate rather than close the door, because IF she gets anxious, she could ruin your door or the floor....just ask KC....

Perhaps it may be trial and error. You can also get taller xpens that could work in a larger room with no doors. Since she is used to the kennel, be sure to put it in the room, that will be her "safe" place. Glad you can do the webcam cause I am sure that will bring you comfort when you see she is okay and not fretting or getting hurt or damaging anything.

Good luck...you could also send her to me and I will GLADLY pupsit.... :hysterical:

edited to add: by the way, we will be in Albequerque Oct 2 through the 5th. We are coming for the balloon fest. I am SOOOOO excited. Are you anywhere near, maybe we could hook up.

Still trying to figure out what to do...tomorrow morning is coming up quick!!

Balloon fiesta is so awesome!! I think my parents are coming out to see it too! We could meet there, in the freezing cold before dawn...hmm...that doesn't make it sound so fun...but it is worth it!

Thanks for the offer to pupsit!!

Kay

Edited by kayknox

I would not use play pens as I know too many even with toy dogs that did the impossible- jump out of the play pen.

Just wanted to say, there is NO way Molly can jump out of the playpen I have, or she wouldn't have been left in it and I wouldn't have suggested it :-)

I too still use the playpen for little Emmi, but that's because she's still so small and can't jump out, where Suzie at her age hurdled it with ease..

However, I would do perhaps as KC suggested...

Just get some human toddler gates, the kind that are at least 32" high..

I have put Emmi in the bathroom when I have had to be gone for some time and I will toss a small bowl of water, some toys, her bed and I keep a t-shirt for her that I have worn that has my scent on it that I put in her bed along with a Big Teddy Bear she loved to curl up with in her playpen when I first brought her home.

Also, I keep the TV on, so as to give back ground noise.

I didn't like the idea of shutting the door, as I didn't want her to feel LOCKED away....and the gate works great!

I was so surprised at how well she did!

And so far the bathroom and my kitchen are the only two SAFE rooms I have , outside having to place her in the playpen...

Good luck and don't fret so much about how she'll do..They really do rest most of the time when we're not home.

My husband says when I am at work....

most the time my fur babies (especially my new little Emmi) will lay on the back of the sofa looking out the front window waiting for me to come home..

Ahhh that warms my heart....LOL

Suzi and Cathy know my troubles with shutting doors in my house! lol.. Althought it doesn't pertain to my babes (Payslee & Sawyer) its actually my 11 year old Lhasa. If I were to 'enclose' him he would tear up every piece of carpet in my bathroom (which he has done before) and also claw and bite his way THROUGH the door! He is weirdly claustrophobic or something, and also suffers from separation anxiety.I dont ever shut the doors with Rally, but there have been times when he gets anxious and accidentally closes a door on himself and then I come home to torn up carpet!

If you can avoid getting to that point you will be MUCH better off! I did not start off correctly with Rally, and am paying for it now. I'll be glad to help in anyway I can.

Suzi and Cathy know my troubles with shutting doors in my house! lol.. Althought it doesn't pertain to my babes (Payslee & Sawyer) its actually my 11 year old Lhasa. If I were to 'enclose' him he would tear up every piece of carpet in my bathroom (which he has done before) and also claw and bite his way THROUGH the door! He is weirdly claustrophobic or something, and also suffers from separation anxiety.I dont ever shut the doors with Rally, but there have been times when he gets anxious and accidentally closes a door on himself and then I come home to torn up carpet!

If you can avoid getting to that point you will be MUCH better off! I did not start off correctly with Rally, and am paying for it now. I'll be glad to help in anyway I can.

KC-- thanks for the info! What do you (an everyone else) suggest? So far, I've gotten these ideas:

* baby gate to keep her in the kitchen

* close the door in the bathroom

* x-pen or pack n play or something similar

I'm still thinking about & researching all of these ideas.

Today, my husband stayed home from his first day of school to stay with Lullaby! :hysterical: Poor guy. This is not a permanent solution! He is in medical school.

The next couple of days, our schedules compliment each other well, so we'll only have to kennel Lullaby for about 2 hours, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. She is used to her kennel. I think that whatever we decide, she might fret/freak out at first while she's getting used to it. So when it's just for an hour or two, I think Lullaby will be happier in her kennel (at least for now). It just seems way too long to leave her in her kennel if we will both be gone for 5 hours or so!

We have a few days to come to a decision...all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks so much!

Kay

So, what was the outcome?

How did Lullabye do today?

You can always keep her in the bathroom WITH the door open, using the baby gate...she'll be fine! Just ensure you keep some familiar toys, etc...in with her for entertainment, etc...!

Update us and let us know how the little biscuit is doing ok?

ShihNanigans

Hmmm...I'm not sure what everyone has against crates.

I have four Shih Tzu now, and every one is crate trained. Hubby works from home, but didn't when we first got Rocky and he still has outside meetings to attend. Plus, I have two very active kids who have swimming, baseball, golf, you name it. We are very busy. To me, the only completely safe place for the pups when nobody can be home is the crate. It is also very effective for potty training, as they really do not like to go in the crate, especially if it is not too big.

Please don't let your hubby stay home from school for Lullaby, school is too important for your future--and she will be FINE in her crate.

Some tips that worked wonders for me...

-Put her in the crate about ten minutes before you leave, and DON'T make a big deal about it. No high pitched, "be a good girl, Mommy loves you, I'll miss you!" None of that. Put her in and shut the door. Walk back and forth in front of her, gather your things, get a drink, whatever. This way you leaving is not traumatic, and she doesn't associate the crate with you leaving and promote separation anxiety.

-Always have her walk in the crate by herself and give a treat EVERY time. A treat makes it a positive experience and she will learn that crate means treat.

-Call it something cute. For my dog growing up, we said house, for our dogs now we call it their hut. "Time to go in your hut!" They go right in now and wait for their treat.

-Leave the radio on softly or the TV. Actually, ours know now when we turn the kitchen radio on, that it's time to go in the hut. It's amazing how often we turn around after the radio is on and they are sitting in the hut waiting for a treat.

-Leave a few chew toys to keep her busy, but not too many that she's over-stimulated. Use different ones on different days for variety. She will probably sleep most of the time any way.

-When you come home, just like when you leave, don't make a big deal. Put your keys down, unpack groceries, go to the bathroom, walk back and forth in front of her so she can see that you're home. Wait a few minutes before taking her out.

-Don't take her out of the crate if she's crying or fussing, only when she's calm. That way you don't teach her that having a fit will get her out of there. And again, don't do the "Mommy and Daddy missed you! You want your Mommy?!? Good girl!!" silliness. Speak softly, say hello, just don't make a hyper deal out of it.

-Never use it for discipline. Keep it a positive place for Lullaby and she will want to be in there.

Some people don't like the idea of a "cage," but mine really love their hut. It's cozy and safe, helps with potty training, and they love the den atmosphere.

Good luck!

chloechanel'smommy

I only wished it was that easy for us to use our crate. Chloe spazzes out when she is in the crate. She barks nonstop and even bites at it. I am afraid that she will hurt herself not to mention the fact that no one gets any sleep or peace and quiet when she is in there. I crated Coco with no problem. I would say, "Go to your room" and she was in there. The gate was the next best thing. It is so peaceful now.

OK, so here's the update on Lullaby!

We got a baby gate...it has a big clear plastic window so she can see out. It also keeps her from climbing out. She barked & cried a little when I left today but was quiet when I came back.

We put her in the bathroom since she likes it more than the kitchen, and the opening in the kitchen is at least 4.5 feet wide--too wide for almost all baby gates.

She peed twice on the bath mat, which was sad because she used to lay on that bath mat to take naps.

We're not sure how Lullaby feels about it yet, but I think that I feel better leaving her at home knowing that at least she has a little room to play, walk around, stretch, etc.

Kay

Kay, is she trained to potty pads? Could you try her now, but putting one down? Just wondering here

ShihNanigans

I only wished it was that easy for us to use our crate. Chloe spazzes out when she is in the crate. She barks nonstop and even bites at it. I am afraid that she will hurt herself not to mention the fact that no one gets any sleep or peace and quiet when she is in there. I crated Coco with no problem. I would say, "Go to your room" and she was in there. The gate was the next best thing. It is so peaceful now.

It wasn't that easy for me in the beginning, either. Rocky and Lu both flipped out, too. If you take them out because you think they will get hurt, they have trained you--flip out equals I get out of here.

If you stick with it no matter what, they will calm down, I promise. And in the long run they are safer and potty trained better because of it.