ian's adventures in rescue

so, i had to let my rottweiler go several months back due to old age. i really wasn't looking to get a new dog anytime soon, but my mother was really missing having a dog around while i was at work. so she talked me into looking around at pounds and rescues. all i new was i needed to get a small dog that would fit on the passenger seat of the car. the rotty obviously did not and she couldn't quite stretch out on the bench in my truck. so i didn't want to start out with a dog that would be uncomfortable to begin with and although i would do it, i don't really have the cash flow to buy yet another car.

anyway, my point was that i was trying to keep an open mind about what breed to get, they all have their good and bad points. but i was particularly keeping an eye out for a pekingese. so the local pound didn't have anything of interest. well, of interest yes, but i knew i couldn't rescue them all, so i had to be a little cold hearted. i'm sure most of you know how that feeling is. so they told me i could check online rather than coming in every weekend. that's when i found petfinder. what an awesome site. so i saw a shelter up in PA that had a huge selection and i liked what i was reading about them on their website. so off i went.

when i first walked in, i saw this little shih-tzu laying in a pen on the side. he had a plastic e-collar on and i just dismissed him right away. after looking at all the other dogs, we started to leave. as we walked by his pen again, my roommate pointed out a little dog that was under the stairs, obvious;ly really scared and poking his nose out from between them.

just about that time the shih-tzu gets up and runs over. with all the other dogs around going nuts and barking, he was calm and inquisitive. just pushing his nose through the fence so i could scratch it.

it was love at first sight. i knew he had to come home with me.

well, as i've read, some of you have horror stories about adopting from a rescue and my story isn't much different, except it had a happy ending. they put me through all the hoops and and called every one of my references. even though they all told the truth and knew first hand how well i took care of and cared for the rotty, they all also would have lied through their teeth for me if needed, but it wasn't. so that part just seemed pointless to me. the came the home inspection. now i am a single guy and i have a roommate that is a single guy, so to say the house was a little messy was an understatement. so i took a day off work and my mother came over to help and we got the place spotless. that way i knew i'd make a good impression. and the inspector was duly impressed with it. even though she said she wasn't looking for how dusty the place is, i knew it did make an impact to see everything spotless.

anyway, a few days later i wen to pick up my new buddy. his name is hunter and he is pretty good about 99% of the time. he had a problem with biting, but i think i have that cured now. luckily i have a guy i work with that is a trainer. so he helps me alot.

he is housebroken and sleeps in his crate all night without a peep. of course it is next to bed since he just cries all night if not. but that's fine.

my real problem is when i have to leave him crated if i go out for a few hours. he really goes nuts and wrecks his cage. yesterday he pooped and got it all over himself. it was so nasty, but there was only one thing to do. took him straight out and into the tub for a good scrubbing, which he hates also. anyway, i'll post that question about what to do in another place. this is just my rescue story.

CrazyTzuLady

What a great story! Hunter is a lucky little guy to have been found by you and I am sure all of your love and devotion will persevere and help him to overcome his issues. I also have a rescue baby and an owner surrender so I know how challenging they can be but I wouldn't trade them for the world. They are mine and I love them issues and all. You have certainly come to the right place for answers to any and all questions. Their is a wealth of knowledge from our members and everyone loves to help out. I hope you enjoy your stay here I look forward to hearing all about Hunter and of course don't forget the pictures. :blush-anim-cl:

I am so sorry to hear about your Rottie. :signthankspin:

Hi, and Welcome. God bless you for saving that sweet boy. I have had 3 rescues and they are the best in my opinion.

Glad you are here with us :signthankspin:

Phyl

yeah, this is my third rescue as well.

well sort of. the first was a sheltie that was very badly abused and he never got use to me for some reason, but he loved my mother so that was good. then the rottie was the second. i didn't actually rescuer her but friends of mine did and then i took her when they couldn't have her anymore. she was just the sweetest lap rottweiler you can imagine. before her i didn't really think about rescues because of the sheltie and the serious issues he had with males. but after the rottie, i realized that there were many dogs in shelters that were worth trying to rescue.

pictures located here http://shihtzuchattertwo.sunlitesplace.com...mp;#entry168326

ShihtzuBeauty

Ahh :head_hurts_kr: For sharing your story and for the wonderful work you do. :)

I'm sorry for your loss.

Wicket's mom

:) on your new shih-tzu baby, you're gonna love him! Hunter is very lucky you have taken him into your home as well. I'm off to check out pics :D

luvinpreciousntoby

glad to hear you and hunter found one another!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Ian and Hunter. Just looked at your pictures. We call that the "dead dog" when Odie lies all flat like that. MY graddaughter loves it when they do that. Probably cause he's not bothering her then! My Odie is a rescue too. Got him from the a humane society about 6 months ago. He was only a yr old when I got him. You are in for an adventure!

• 2 weeks later...

yeah an adventure is the word for it. the rotty was easy. let her sleep all day, take her out when needed.

this guy likes to fool me. he'll go sit by the door and when i take him out he just wants to come back in again. little bugger. and trying to get him to poop is a chore in itself. it usually takes a full walk around the block to get him to work it up.

but otherwise, he hasn't been biting lately, which is a really good thing. and he brings me hours of enjoyment always.

i keep playing with his forehead hair to see if it's long enough to start putting into a top knot, but not yet. besides i am having a hard time finding masculine top knot accessories. the rest of his coat is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long now. but it's really wavy. is that the norm for a 1 year old? when does it start getting nice and straight?

my parents took him down to va beach this weekend to meet my nieces. they all adore him. which is good because my youngest niece doesn't particularly like little dogs. as of last night he was visiting a friend's pit bull and they were playing nicely. he also got play with a another friend's american bulldog. now that was some funny s**t right there. he had to take 4 or 5 running steps for every lung of the bulldog. but he was soooo fast the bulldog didn't know where he'd gone to.

CrazyTzuLady

Sounds like he is having a great time meeting new pups and people, good for him. They seem to make friends with anyone. As for the hair, some of them have curlier hair than others. My Thai has curly hair and I love it. If you are looking for masculain bows Vals Diva Do's has some really nice ones at decent prices. I will add the link for you in case you are interested. CLICKY Glad to hear he isn't biting anymore!

cool, thanks, there are few bows there that i'm gonna order up.

yeah, now that i'm a little more confident on him not freaking out and biting new people, i can start taking him to my car shows and everywhere else. people used to say that my rotty lived like a rock star cuz i took her everywhere with me. and she was such a sweety that even people that didn't like dogs couldn't help but fall in love with her. so far hunter is getting the same reactions.

CrazyTzuLady

Your welcome! :welcomeani: Good luck with all the adventures and please keep us posted on Hunters progress.

LouieIsMyBoy

Congrats on rescuing Hunter! He's adorable. Speaking of fur, I didn't know some had curly fur. Louie's is on the thick side but I don't let it grow long, I get him groomed every 6-8 weeks, but one thing I find funny is his tail. When its almost time for a visit to the groomer's, his tail looks like its been crimped with a crimping iron. Has anyone every heard of that?

• 2 months later...
PhantomLover007

Hunter is a handsome bugger. Congrats on getting him.

Gosh, somehow I missed this post a while back....I replied to your pic post, but just seems this one got by me...

So anyway, I never knew the story about Hunter. Ian, you have a huge heart and sounds like you two were just meant to "be"... :)