Ozzy is peeing on my bed!

Carolina Girl

During the past month, Ozzy has peed in my bed three times. Two of the times, he had just gone out to pee outside. We came back in to go to bed, he got in the bed, I turned off the lamps, and by the time I got around to the other side of the bed, he had peed. The other time was today during the afternoon. And today, it wasn't even a puddle. It looked like he was walking while peeing. It was in a line, and the line continued down the bench at the end of my bed. He also jumped onto the couch right beside me two days ago and peed on the couch. He has not done this before. It is so weird. I can't figure out why he would do this. After he did it, he just jumped down like nothing had happened. Help! My husband now says that Ozzy is not allowed on any of the furniture including the bed. He currently sleeps with us, but hubby wants to ban him from our room now. I just want to know why he is doing this.....

I have no answers for this, but I can tell you that Mine have done it too..Pandora was the worst.. I have no idea what caused her to do it..she would go months and never do it, then out of the blue pee on the bed.. When Payslee was younger she would pee on any bed I got her..so I had to stop giving her dog beds. She doesnt' do it anymore, but she did also pee on my bed once..She didn't have a UTI, or a bladder issue..it was just like you said, she would go out..pee.. then come back in, get ready for bed, and I would find that she had pee'd on a pillow on the bed! WHAT! So once again, I have no advice, or info, but don't feel alone, because mine have done it too!But usually they quit doing it, as fast as they started.. Little stinkers!!!

It's behavoural. He's letting you know he is the boss of the manor. Keep him out of your bedroom and off your bed.

I think I would try to make sure he didn't have a bladder or kidney issue going on. Can you get a sample to take to the Vet? I would want to rule out an infection... JMO

Carolina Girl

We are not sure of his age. When I got him from animal control, his owners who surrendered him said that he was 1 1/2 years old. When I took him to me vet they said they thought he was right at 6 months. So, he's got to be somewhere between the two.

It's not kidney or bladder problems. I've had that checked already. Plus, he can hold his pee in for up to 10 hours during the day while I'm gone.

This whole thing drives me nuts. My comforter is dry clean only. And then I have to strip down everything down to the mattress pad! It's just annoying.

ShihNanigans

As long as you've ruled out a UTI or other medical explanation, I think it's behavioral, too. We had a similar problem with Rocky, only he was pooping on the couch. Blechhh! We started taking him out for more walks. I think the combination of the walk stimulating him to go and getting more exercise made him stop. So, I would recommend making sure he gets enough exercise. Also, as long as he gets enough water during the day, don't feel bad withholding water for a while before bed time.

Carolina Girl

The bed is not too high. He can get on and off himself. So I don't think that it is an issue of him not being able to get off of the bed in time.

We walk both dogs twice a day. So, we have the excercise covered. I will try limiting his water in the evenings, but I have to say he's not a big drinker anyway.

A young male after neutering can have when jumping up, the diaphram tightens with sudden pressure on the bladder. But if the bed is not too high, its a dominance problem. Keep him off the bed as he is saying " this is mine...".

mr.coffee

It sounds like folks are on the right track here. Harley had done this a few times early on, both on the bed and on the couch. The first couple times we gave him the benefit of the doubt and called it an accident, albeit a ~very frustrating~ accident. Nothing like sleeping under a beach towel 'cuz the blasted dog peed on the blankets....again!!! Then there was a short period where this didn't happen at all, but after some time he started at it again. This time there was no calling it an accident, as he's fairly well housebroken. When he would pee on the bed, he would spend the night in the crate, rather than on the bed with us. When he peed on the couch, he was banished from the couch for a time. I think he quickly realized sleeping on the bed is a privilege, and hasn't done it in quite a while.

Mind you, he responds fairly well to redirection, and is very easily motivated by his desire to be close to us; so in cases where offering a substitute behavior isn't viable, a time-out - or in this case, a night in his crate - works well with him. Fortunately he is comfortable and content to be in his crate and doesn't see it as an inherently bad place to be, he also gets that when he begs at the table.

Is Ozzy crate trained?

-m

Carolina Girl

Mr. Coffee, unfortunately Ozzy is not crate trained. When we got him from the shelter he came with a few "issues". We tried to crate him once and he completely freaked out. He has problems with cinfined spaces. When I leave for work during the day I leave him in the laundry room. He is fine in there with a gate up. (but we can't close the door,that freaks him out) I know this sounds naive, but I just don't want (or didn't want) to believe that he would really purposely pee on my bed. I guess I knew the answer, but needed to hear someone else to say it. Does that sound crazy?

Edited by Ozzy's Mom

LOL nope, I had the same thoughts with Molly. But the thing is they will do it and you will need to keep your door shut. Only let him in when he's invited and don't let him on your bed.

Carolina Girl

Yep, we've banned him from the bed. My husband is loving it! No dogs in the bed at night anymore. We are now putting them both into the laundry room at night. Ozzy will cry for about an hour. It is very hard for me to listen to, but the alternative is to have a pee pee bed.

If the pee is in a straight line as you described, then it sounds behavioral to me as well. Good job making the "no bed" rule. Gizmo, my shih tzu, is not permitted on our bed as well. He never peed on it, but he did get "bossy" over the bed. My shepherd mix is allowed on our bed anytime though. No problems there.

Carolina Girl

What makes them do this? Daisy is definately the boss of the two. She only lets him play with certain toys and does not allow him to lay on the doggy bed. I felt bad because the first pee spot that we found, I blamed on Daisy because she is for sure the dominant one.

I have a different take on this...how long ago did you have him checked for UTI, bladder problems, because they can come on quickly....I see the straight line and going as he is walking as "lack of control"...I would have him checked again. This just doesn't sound like typical "marking"....JMO BUT, I do hope either way, you get it under control, must be very frustrating.

I had this problem with Muffin too, when he was very ill ( hemmoragy from bladder stone surgery due to his coagulation problem) the vet said he had to move as little as possible and NO jumping so he was confined to the x pen for a month with the puppy pads well once he learned to do his peepee on the pads anything "soft" was like a pad to him so he started doing this on the doggy beds and the bed plus jumping on the couch to poo as well.

It was so frustrating, thankfully the couch is leather and easy to clean and the matress waterproof pad saved the matress as well but still I know the feeling of getting ready to go to bed and having to clean it all up.

I agree that it doesn't sound like typical marking since he is walking while doing it and not raising his leg. Muffin's second bladder sones formed in less than a month the second time so maybe you can check that again just to be sure.

In case he is doing it to mark you could make him wear a belly band for bedtime and keep a piece of thin wood to not let him in the bedroom during the day.

I had to do this with Bambi since she marked everywhere at first so instead of closing all the doors I made some wood boards that I covered with colored stick on paper in front of the doors to block the passage.

I kept making sure I watched Muffin very closely to say "no" when I saw him doing it and clap my hands, he finally stopped with this.

I hope you will be able to find a solution. I think the belly bands are not a bad idea, I couldn't use them on Muffin since his rx food makes him urinate frequently and it is not good for his problem to have to hold it but if your baby has no problems than that is a good idea maybe, you can alo put a sanitary napkin on the band in case.

Edited by Jenny
Carolina Girl

I have a friend who also suggested a belly band. I just don't think that this is a medical issue. He can hold it in for 10 hours. And the only place that he does this is on my bed. Ugh.....BTW, somone left my bedroom door opened and he just did it again. I actually saw him this time and said no really loud. It scared him and he went running! I caught it before it soaked through. How frustrating!

Well I would not isolate him into another room as this can make " resentment" or more so " I need to mark this as MINE" as mom doesn't get it - type thing. I would suggest you give him a crate in your room. ( or a bed.). Then he is sleeping with the pack, just not on such an elevated position as your bed. By isolating him to another room, you will build his " anxiety" to prove himself- thus- making it worse possibly.

Sorry I don't agree Michelle.

Like I said, Molly was doing this too and I kept the door shut and she couldn't get in there. She isn't allowed on any of the beds, and now she knows that. We had no more problems with her.