Adopted boy pooping in his room

Hi,

One week ago we adopted a 3 yr old Shih tzu from a rescue org. We were told he is housetrained and was in a kennel for 3 weeks after his family gave him up. First day and a half he peed / pooped outside in backyard and on walks no prob. On Tuesday I went back to work all day and he was left alone in his room w/a gate. I would come home at lunch or my husband would come home at 6pm to find poop in his room. On Wed. he stopped pooping on his walks.

We're also feeding him Natural Choice Vennison (don't know what he was eating before) so maybe the new environment and food has his system messed up.

Saturday, he pooped on his AM walk for the first time ..we were with him all day....then on his PM walk he didn't do anything, b/c it was raining hard. We went out for dinner and when we came back there was poop in his room. Sunday went fine (we were w/him all day/night). Today he was barking mad crazy when i left for work (first time since we got him).

Even though he pooped on his AM walk today I am scared to see what my husband will find at 6pm since this is his first day alone all day (i'd been coming home at lunch before).... Some people say give him time to adjust to his new home/schedule while others say he's doing this out of anger since he's shown he can poop outside on walks....Thoughts?? and How do I correct this?? THANKS!!!

ShihtzuBeauty

Hi and Welcome to the family! :huglove: I would be willing to be your little guy just needs lots of love, reassurance, consistancy and most of all patience. He's been through alot he's very lucky to have found you bless your heart for giving him a loving forever home. BTW we need pics. :congrats:

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to be :(

I agree with Melissa, just try & be patient; keep a routine, and try to be consistant. Mixed signals can be murder to his adjustment.

You will be so blessed once the bumps in the road straighten out :)

Phyl

thanks everyone.

came home today after work to find poop in his room again.... it really has to be out of anxiety/spite/anger at being left alone all day because when we were with him all weekend and took him on his am and pm walks he pooped when he was supposed to and not in between. so i guess what you're saying is he'll get used to the schedule and being left alone (hopefully soon) and stop behaving this way? :(

I guess he has to learn his new schedule. Like the others say, give him some time. At least he isn't eating his poop!

:( I've heard it can take a couple weeks or more for a dog to adjust to their new home. Hopefully he adjusts to his new schedule soon.

Melissa gave you some great advice..I think when they first come to a new place it takes them a little while to get acclimated to their new place, and surroundings. Your new baby is probably still just trying to figure things out. I know a lot of tzu's who do NOT like to go out in the 'weather elements' so that probably added to the anxiety too. Keep doing what you are doing, the walks are Great, and I'm sure he will soon fall into a regular routine..He is lucky you got him!!

Well I posted on the other thread, but I did not know he was a recent addition. I agree with the others- he needs time to adjust to her new schedule etc and feel at home in his room as well.

Welcome to Chatter!