Why Walking your dog is So important

I came across this article on Pedigreedpups, and it really hit home for me. When I tell people that I rollerblade with the tzu's, or walk them everyday I'm always shocked by the amount of people who say, "What! I never walk my dog..they have a back yard for that" and I always tell them "What if you had to see the same 4 walls everyday, or the same backyard everyday, and never got to go anywhere fun, and sniff stuff?" But I still hear it..and I see it everyday when we go on our walks and we see the same sad little dogs that never get outside of that wooden fence and are going ballistic when we walk by. I even had someone tell me, "My dog doesn't like to walk, she likes to ride in the stroller, so I don't make her".. Pandora, my first tzu, hated exercise, but just like the kid who hates veggies, I had to just make her do it..And boy what a difference did it make! Walking her everyday finally got her completely potty trained..she lost the extra pounds she was carrying, she quit acting bored all the time, and she eventually got to where she just loved it! So even though there are days when I myself don't want to go, I know its part of the day that they look forward to the most..So I thought I would pass along this article.

Dogs Need Exercise, Both Physical and Mental Stimulation

It's a simple fact that dogs need exercise - just like us.

Dogs need both mental and physical stimulation and this should be provided by the owners through daily exercise.

Exercise gives a dog a natural outlet for their pent up energy.

Through exercise dogs can create strong bodies and good muscle tone.

Lack of sufficient exercise can easily result in boredom which can also lead to many different kinds of behavioral problems.

The same old yard or house with no changes in routine can be quite boring for a dog. And even if the dog is in a big yard, few will exercise on their own without the interaction of their owner - most would sleep most of the day.

Remember, just letting your dog out in the backyard is not enough and does not give your dog the exercise the dog really needs. A brief daily walk is often not enough either. So, how do you actually decide on exactly how much exercise your dog really needs?

The types of exercises that you choose for your dog should depend on many things such as the age, weight, health and breed of your dog. Is your dog a sporting breed, used to hunting or a retriever breed who likes to run or is it a toy dog breed who is happy to sit on the couch?

These are just a few of the questions you need to ask before you provide your dog a proper daily workout. Dogs need exercise but if your dog is old, you will have to encourage your dog to exercise. Walking is a great form of exercise for senior dogs. If your dog is pregnant a little exercise can be fine but you should never over exercise her.

Daily exercise is always recommended unless there is a medical problem. You should always consult your veterinarian before you decide on a fitness program for your pet. Healthy dogs crave interaction with both other dogs and people as well. Dog parks are great for this and some of them even allow the dogs to play and walk unleashed. You should always check the rules of the parks around your area before you go however.

Many dogs enjoy playing with Frisbees on land or in water. Chasing a tennis ball or a stick can be fun too when dogs need exercise. Other games you can do: you can get a rope and let your dog take one end and you the other, then you both pull away. Swimming can be an enjoyable activity for your dog too and is a fantastic form of exercise for dogs that can swim and love the water.

Most dogs enjoy a nice game of catch. You should be careful about using hard objects to avoid harming the dog's teeth. Long walks will also make your pet happy if done on a daily basis. Jogging, hiking or even trail biking are all great ways to spend time with each other and get exercise too. Keep in mind that there are a few things that you should always be careful about during any of these activities:

- Avoid extensive exercise methods with your dog if it has any pre-existing health problems.

- Watch your dog for signs that it is tired.

- Always take water along for you and your dog while out exercising.

- Go out early in the morning or late in the evening during hot summer months.

And one benefit we haven’t even discussed - exercising with your dog creates an even stronger bond between the two of you. It is a great way to show that you really care about your dog and want to make it happy. Remember: dogs need exercise - tired dogs are happy dogs.

Edited by kcsheperd

I came across this article on Pedigreedpups, and it really hit home for me. When I tell people that I rollerblade with the tzu's, or walk them everyday I'm always shocked by the amount of people who say, "What! I never walk my dog..they have a back yard for that" and I always tell them "What if you had to see the same 4 walls everyday, or the same backyard everyday, and never got to go anywhere fun, and sniff stuff?" But I still hear it..and I see it everyday when we go on our walks and we see the same sad little dogs that never get outside of that wooden fence and are going ballistic when we walk by. I even had someone tell me, "My dog doesn't like to walk, she likes to ride in the stroller, so I don't make her".. Pandora, my first tzu, hated exercise, but just like the kid who hates veggies, I had to just make her do it..And boy what a difference did it make! Walking her everyday finally got her completely potty trained..she lost the extra pounds she was carrying, she quit acting bored all the time, and she eventually got to where she just loved it! So even though there are days when I myself don't want to go, I know its part of the day that they look forward to the most..So I thought I would pass along this article.

Dogs Need Exercise, Both Physical and Mental Stimulation

It's a simple fact that dogs need exercise - just like us.

Dogs need both mental and physical stimulation and this should be provided by the owners through daily exercise.

Exercise gives a dog a natural outlet for their pent up energy.

Through exercise dogs can create strong bodies and good muscle tone.

Lack of sufficient exercise can easily result in boredom which can also lead to many different kinds of behavioral problems.

The same old yard or house with no changes in routine can be quite boring for a dog. And even if the dog is in a big yard, few will exercise on their own without the interaction of their owner - most would sleep most of the day.

Remember, just letting your dog out in the backyard is not enough and does not give your dog the exercise the dog really needs. A brief daily walk is often not enough either. So, how do you actually decide on exactly how much exercise your dog really needs?

The types of exercises that you choose for your dog should depend on many things such as the age, weight, health and breed of your dog. Is your dog a sporting breed, used to hunting or a retriever breed who likes to run or is it a toy dog breed who is happy to sit on the couch?

These are just a few of the questions you need to ask before you provide your dog a proper daily workout. Dogs need exercise but if your dog is old, you will have to encourage your dog to exercise. Walking is a great form of exercise for senior dogs. If your dog is pregnant a little exercise can be fine but you should never over exercise her.

Daily exercise is always recommended unless there is a medical problem. You should always consult your veterinarian before you decide on a fitness program for your pet. Healthy dogs crave interaction with both other dogs and people as well. Dog parks are great for this and some of them even allow the dogs to play and walk unleashed. You should always check the rules of the parks around your area before you go however.

Many dogs enjoy playing with Frisbees on land or in water. Chasing a tennis ball or a stick can be fun too when dogs need exercise. Other games you can do: you can get a rope and let your dog take one end and you the other, then you both pull away. Swimming can be an enjoyable activity for your dog too and is a fantastic form of exercise for dogs that can swim and love the water.

Most dogs enjoy a nice game of catch. You should be careful about using hard objects to avoid harming the dog's teeth. Long walks will also make your pet happy if done on a daily basis. Jogging, hiking or even trail biking are all great ways to spend time with each other and get exercise too. Keep in mind that there are a few things that you should always be careful about during any of these activities:

- Avoid extensive exercise methods with your dog if it has any pre-existing health problems.

- Watch your dog for signs that it is tired.

- Always take water along for you and your dog while out exercising.

- Go out early in the morning or late in the evening during hot summer months.

And one benefit we haven't even discussed - exercising with your dog creates an even stronger bond between the two of you. It is a great way to show that you really care about your dog and want to make it happy. Remember: dogs need exercise - tired dogs are happy dogs.

I totally agree!

All dogs need exercise and it does not matter what size they are or weight !

Edited by Tzumommy

I totally agree too! I can really tell the difference if my 3 don't get exercise for a couple days.

Mine all love their garden for chasing around and silly games but, they are usually ready to come in again within 15/20 minutes. They are walked everyday on the lead (law in these parts) but they all have very different exercise for the sake of exercise needs. One tires well before the others and I frequently drop that one off at home and carry on with the others. When the second one tires, we call it a day (well morning really because we go out for a walk again just before their evening meal) but the third could walk for England and never seems to tire.

I often think how nice it would be to have a double-sized stroller that I can pop #1 and #2 in as they tire. That way they would all be out in the fresh air together, enjoying the sights, sounds and smells for much longer and they would all get home a little 'pooped'. Mum, of course would be 'shattered'. :P

I couldn't agree more. There are two boxers in our neighborhood that never get walked; just put out on a rope. It's a shame for a dog that should have miles of exercise a day!

Mine get at least two 15 minute walks a day plus yard time. And I wish they got more. We do take them to town at least once a week to show off and have prancing fun time.

Yeah,Walks are very important,Paddington & Penny takes us out every morning & night for ours,whether we want it or not.

FairyTail Josette

I even had someone tell me, "My dog doesn't like to walk, she likes to ride in the stroller, so I don't make her"..

Yep, that was me. :P

Josey says, "mommy, my wegs aren't even free (three) inches long." :)

I often think how nice it would be to have a double-sized stroller that I can pop #1 and #2 in as they tire. That way they would all be out in the fresh air together, enjoying the sights, sounds and smells for much longer and they would all get home a little 'pooped'. Mum, of course would be 'shattered'. :rolleyes:

Yes, Lorraine, the stroller is a god send! I love it. Mandy has arthritus in one knee from her surgery, so, she walks awhile and then rests for awhile with Josey. It was 74 here yesterday! We took a two and a half hour walk. :banana:

Yep, that was me. :P

Josey says, "mommy, my wegs aren't even free (three) inches long." :)

Yes, Lorraine, the stroller is a god send! I love it. Mandy has arthritus in one knee from her surgery, so, she walks awhile and then rests for awhile with Josey. It was 74 here yesterday! We took a two and a half hour walk. :rolleyes:

I manage a half houlf hour in the morning & half hour in the afternooon.By that time we are ready to head back to the house.But we do it at the same time every day.Thats how we got Penny finally housebroken.Josie Posie, if I had three inch legs I would demand a stroller too.Mine are a lot longer than yours & I wish I had one sometimes,not for Paddy & Penny,but for me.That would create a comical picture.Me, riding around in a stroller with my two little Tzus following behind.

FairyTail Josette

KC and Tzumommy:

PLEASE, PLEASE, leave me alone and stop attacking Josey. I have requested this thread to be closed.

Edited by FairyTail Josette

What? Its an article about walking dogs? I don't get it.. The thread doesn't need to be closed, its an important article and its good for our dog babes..I never said anything about anything else? If you don't like my posts, then you dont have to post to them. Simple as that. Thats what I love about this board. Everyone has an opinion and is free to share it. I don't see anything 'accusatory' or 'attacking' about anyone. I was just trying to post an informative article, if you took it as something else, I apologize.

First off no one is attacking any one, and why would I attack Josey, this is just my opinion.

hunter gets his walk in the morning and at night by me. he also gets walked at least once by my father during the day while he's with my parents. except for rare occasions, walking him around the block is the only way i can get him to work up a poop. does anyone else have issues like that or am i on my own with a dog that doesn't like to poop?

hunter gets his walk in the morning and at night by me. he also gets walked at least once by my father during the day while he's with my parents. except for rare occasions, walking him around the block is the only way i can get him to work up a poop. does anyone else have issues like that or am i on my own with a dog that doesn't like to poop?

Nope, your not alone..thats the same Problem I had with Pandora..thats why she was so hard to potty train..but once I figured out that walking her 'stimulated her bowels'..I literally just walked the crap right out of her! lol. :) For some reason she never wanted to go in 'our' yard! lol..

Oh yea, my Josie is like that...she has to "work up" the poo. We walk at least once a day, maybe twice when we can. We don't have a very good place to walk....no sidewalks and a pretty busy street just outside our culdesac. We have to cross it just to get to sidewalks....I HATE that. Next house has that as a requirement.....a nice walking trail or sidewalks.....mine LOVE walks and it took me a long time to be able to walk them together without them being competitive and both try to walk faster than the other, therefore pulling me the entire way. Now, they kinda start out that way, but calm down and walk nicely for the most of the walk. If we don't walk I see them walking to the door we go out around the same time every day....I swear they have clocks in their veins....both walking and feeding...LOL

Yeah, walking stimulates bowels--which is one reason they want folks up and walking so soon after surgeries nowadays. Also, eating stimulates peristalsis as well. So if you can do your walks after meals, so much the better.

since we're on this topic (sorry to derail the original), what do you all do in the winter when it's snowing? i mean, i read that shih-tzus are prone to frost bite. so how do you handle the walks to work up a poop when it's that cold out?

ShihtzuBeauty

I'm not closing the topic it's very usefull information. I would like this thread and all other threads in the future though to Not be used for personal attacks I didn't see any of that here 'til later in the thread. If members are still having personal issues w/eachother that needs to be taken care of Outside of our fourm our members don't need to be subjected to this or made to feel uncomfortable.

May I raise my head above the parapet again? 'cos I thought this:

Very Very Sad !!!

was directed at me and I hung my head in shame. :)

since we're on this topic (sorry to derail the original), what do you all do in the winter when it's snowing? i mean, i read that shih-tzus are prone to frost bite. so how do you handle the walks to work up a poop when it's that cold out?

I think xr4man raises a good point. If you cannot regulate your dog's digestive system through diet, but only get success through walking them, how do you deal with snowy weather? We don't get much snow here but just in case I would be interested to know should any of them suffer the 'bungies'. And doesn't it get a bit expensive in poopy bags?

I manage a half houlf hour in the morning & half hour in the afternooon.By that time we are ready to head back to the house.But we do it at the same time every day.Thats how we got Penny finally housebroken.Josie Posie, if I had three inch legs I would demand a stroller too.Mine are a lot longer than yours & I wish I had one sometimes,not for Paddy & Penny,but for me.That would create a comical picture. Me, riding around in a stroller with my two little Tzus following behind.

Jane you would not be alone although I know you would cut a far finer figure:

dogsscooter.jpg

Back to topic everyone. Oh but don't forget the snow thingy :blush-anim-cl:

On the snow thing..We don't get much here in Oklahoma, but we do get ICE. It usually doesn't stick around long, but if the streets are clear (meaning not frozen or slick) we will still walk. They get messy, but I just wash them off once we get back inside. Last year some of the chatter folks posted some of the cutest pics EVER of their shih-tzu's turning into snow babies when they went outside! A lot of tzu's love the snow, and love to frolic and play in it..Mine have not seen it yet, so I'm not sure what their reaction will be, but as long as I can mush through it, we still try to walk and get a little exercise, even if its just a short journey. But like I said, usually in Oklahoma the snow/ice doesn't last long, so we are usually able to walk the next day after it all melts. :)

Well we did have a bit of snow last winter. Kizzie was not impressed:

kizzie2-1.jpg

kizzie1-1.jpg

but at least she kept uhhh regular (if you know what I mean). :blush-anim-cl:

Roller blading on ice must be treacherous - I wonder if Cesar Millan ever tried that. :)

Wicket's mom

We go walking in the snow, we have no choice otherwise we would have nearly 6 mos/year where we don't walk at all. I just bundle all of them up in a warm winter coat & booties to keep them warm, minimize snow balls and protect paw pads. We do go out a little less often though when it's really messy, and we get extreme colds where they say you can get frostbite in less than 5 mins so we skip those days...

Lorraine, those pics of Kizzie are adorable :dede:

Edited by Wicket's mom

Lorraine....

I know several people who live in ultimate snowy winter conditions, and have opted to purchase inexpensive treadmills to help give their fur babes the daily walking exercise needed during harsh winter weather.

You just leash them up to the handle and make sure the tether is long enough so as not to bind them but short enough so they cannot drift off the moving mat.

I have seen Cesar Milan introduce this concept to people who have dogs with aggression issues and believe it or not, daily walking not only helps stimulate bowels, but helps to place them in a more calm submissive state, because he has shown that a lot of dogs who show aggression are just dogs who are not give any mental and physical stimulation.

Now as for the stroller issue.

There is nothing wrong with having one and using one...

I just recently bought a very nice all terrain three wheel stroller for my Corkey, since he just this past July had his left rear hip joint removed due to degeneration of the bone and tissue from an old injury, and I take it along with me on all our walks now and I will let Corkey walk along side us all and go the distance he can handle, then when I see him starting to limp or slow down and pant, I simply place him in there and he can rest and ride in style the rest of the walk ....I know he got some exercise in, enough to do him the amount of good he needs, and yet having the stroller is a tool that has been a blessing to help him too.

I have seen those double strollers and I think they are awesome. I've seen the side by side style and the one atop another style, both very handy as well..

Just type in double dog strollers in your web browser and see what you can find. You can also look in Ebay...I actually got my stroller off of Ebay for only $122.00 which I have seen online retailed for over $200.00 + S&H!

The one I got is called the, Pet Gear AT3 All Terrain 3 Wheel Stroller. It also came with a weather cover to protect them from the rain and wind should it suddenly happen while out on walks. I love it...and it's such a good quality stroller....!

But all in all, I do agree whole heartily with this thread that walking your dog is about the best form of exercise you can give your dogs for so many healthy reasons!!

But having strollers can and do come in handy too boot...!

I have a stroller too. I bought it a couple years ago when I took Jasmine to Florida with me. It was wonderful for sight seeing and keeping little kids' poking fingers away from her. Some kids don't comprehend what no means. It came in very handy when Chase and Maggie were puppies. They rode and Jasmine walked.

I don't buy poopy bags for our walks. I use the plastic grocery store bags, saves a bunch of money.

We usually get lots of snow too. We walk everyday that the roads are clear. When it gets really cold though, we don't walk outside, I get the pups all wound up inside and they do the Tzu 500 around the house until they're tired. All 3 of them LOVE to play in the snow. I have to pull the big snowballs off their legs when they come in.

Lorraine! Those pics were adorable!! I love her face looking at you like, "Now what mama??". :love: .hahaha! Back to the snow..the little dog booties are a good idea. I think Pupstuff has those for Pokey when it got cold last year..

And as for the Strollers..I have two..One like Vicki was talking about, the ATV one, and one Pink One..I use them both for times when we are going to the flea market, or going to be in a place where the babes wandering around on leashes might not be acceptable..In fact, I took mine out in their Pink one last Saturday to a mall here in town, and just strolled them around in it! They loved it..The ATV one works better when you are having to go on uneven surfaces and stuff..There may come a time when Rally has to use the stroller on long walks (he's 11 now)..but so far he runs faster than the babies do! So Yes, I do believe Strollers serve us a great purpose, I do love mine..I just don't use mine for exercise purposes, because Pays would just jump out and start running anyway! And trust me, she needs the exercise! :P