2 Questions re: Collars and Introducing new dog

Hi,

I'm getting a new Shih Tzu!! Well, she's not exactly new, she's 2 years old and had a litter in Sept, so I won't get her for a couple of weeks. Her picture is below.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how I should introduce Honey to my Obie, who is a 1-year-old neutered male? He is quite rambunctious, and she is pretty calm. Some articles say to take them to a neutral place like a park for the first intro, but is that necessary? I'd rather bring her home and calmly let them get to know each other while I supervise. Any help would be appreciated!

I'd also like to know what kind of collar most of you use for walking? I started Obie in a training class (second try) and the leader suggested so many collars, I couldn't decide! She has a shih tzu and uses a "Martingale" collar. I don't want to buy another collar unless it's the right one. I already have a regular flat collar and a couple of harnesses.

I really appreciate this forum and the warm welcome I received when I recently joined. Now I'm going to try to add a photo of Honey ...

Thank you!

mr.coffee

I use a harness. When we got Harley, he was about four pounds, up until he was about 9 pounds he wore one of those little strappy cheap jobs, it worked fine. Now he's in something resembling the Puppia mesh harnesses you see online all over. We do keep a collar with his tags & stuff, but it's typically only on when we're going out. It's just a flat nylon web job with a quick click buckle. This stuff works fine, so unless I was bored with it or after a particular color to match a shirt or something I wouldn't bother getting another right now.

-m

We use a harness for walking also. We have collars with their name tag that has a contact number on the back side. But their tags (rabies and license) are on their harness.

Ozzy'sMommy

we use a harness too, it is one of those step in harnesses and i think the one that works best for him is one we got from petco that is the caesar milan brand.

i found that i have oz under better control (less pulling when excited) plus there have been a couple of instances when a big dog has gone after oz and i have been able to pull him up into my arms. with a collar you can't do that.

On the whole Shih Tzu are pretty sturdy but when using collars you need to be aware of potential trachea problems. Martingales are OK but there is still the potential to hurt the throat/trachea and, unless they are properly fitted, they could slip off. You say your new little girlie is quite calm and she may do well with standard collars, harnesses or a Martingale (if the training class is in an enclosed space).

I introduced my 2 year old (then) female to the other two at home. To an extent it was in a neutral place - the dining room where they are rarely allowed. I gated the room off and placed her in the room, in her soft-sided travel crate, with the flap open. A nano-second later (lol) she had ventured up to the gate for getting-to-know-you sniffies and within a couple of minutes they were all performing zoomies around the garden and having great fun together. They have been firm friends ever since :(

I walk them all in step-in webbing harnesses with light-reflective stitching. I found the 'puppia-types' could slide around a bit and still catch the throat unless they were tighter than I liked PLUS they do mess with topknots when putting them on and pulling them off :)

Honey is an absolute doll, BTW :dede:

Edited by LondonGirl

Hi & welcome! Your new girl is a beauty!

We use a Puppia harness for walking or when she is in her car seat. She also wears a rolled leather collar, which doesn't make her matt up as bad (as per Sunlite's suggestion.....it works great!) as some of the other collars, especially if you are going to have her in full coat.

Looking forward to hearing all about your new girl & of course pictures! LOL!

FairyTail Josette

Welcome! Awww, Honey is adorable, Congratulations. We use the Puppia harnesses for walking.

When we brought Josey home, we introduced her to the rest of the gang outdoors at our place. They have all been besties ever since.

Congratulations on getting Honey. She is a doll.

I introduced Max & Nicky to each other outside in my fenced in area. It worked great. They have been BFF ever since.

CrazyTzuLady

Lets see Gizmo met Delila when we took him with us to help "pick her out", they both came with us to see Thai so they were introduced there and with Huey they were all introduced to each other in our yard. I also use harnesses, I don't want to risk damaging their throats.

Your new little girl is adorable I look forward to hearing all about her soon. :)