Night time crying

StaceyG3972

I got my puppy on Tuesday, he's 8 weeks old. The first night at home I had him in his crate in my room. He cried a bit and I took him to his litter box every time he woke up, about every 2 hours or so. In the morning though I realized he had had an accident in his crate. I figure he must have done that during the time he was crying after I had already brought him back to the crate.

So since then I put a baby gate up in my laundry room and have his litter box, food/water, and open crate set up in there. He hasn't had anymore accidents but he cries all night long just about it. I think this arrangement is better because he has access to his food and water but he seems more upset.

I guess I am wondering what you think I should do to make it less stressful for him. I almost folded and just put him in the bed with me last night but I really would like to get him used to the laundry room set up so that when I have to leave him at home he isn't stressed.

In the day I tell my husband to put him in there if he is sleeping so that he will get more use to it but it's hard to let go of him because he's so cute! I am not sure if that would help the night situation much anyways.

By the way, this little 8 week old puppy is litter box trained and I am amazed. He goes himself in there to use it during the day. I leave the laundry room open then. I don't trust that he would make it in there from the back of the house so I still keep my eye on him but when he is in the vicinity he takes off in there to use it.

Anyways, any advice is appreciated. He's keeping all of us awake at this point lol. And I feel bad for him. He is such a sweetie that it's not enough for him to be close to us he wants to be held all the time :brr:

Happy to hear you go your sweet baby! However, I am awful with 'nighttime' advice..lol.. Payslee cried when I tried to crate her at night, so I ended up putting her in bed with me..Sawyer was the same way..Now they always sleep with mama at night time..But I did find that once I put Pays in my bed, she hushed right up, and went to sleep..She would get up to move around, and that would wake me, so then I just knew to take her outside, and that was a good method that worked for us..

Now during the day, I do what you do..I put my babies in the kitchen with their food, blankies, and a baby gate..So they stay in there when I go to work, and they have done very well in there..At first I had potty pads down, but when they quit using them, I took them out. They don't have accidents in there anymore, and hold it till I get home now..They also go in their crates when I am leaving for a movie, or just a couple of hours or so..They do like their crates as well, I just couldn't do it at night..Payslee was a loud crier, and I wanted to go to sleep! lol.. :brr: good luck though, others have had awesome success with this and will be able to offer you some great advice.

Well I'm probably not the best person to respond to this because Miley was never crate trained shes always had free roam to the house(tis not a very big house) But at night when she was smaller and couldnt reach to jump on things she would cry at my bedside. I finally gave in and she has slept with me every night all night. I always take her food away at night so that she doesnt have to poo.

But she quit barking and howling when I let her sleep with me.

I'm no help either, I put Jasmine in a little crate on my nightstand and she still kept me up all the 1st night crying. The 2nd night I tried the crate again and couldn't take it after about an hour or so of crying, so I put her in my bed and she curled right up and went to sleep and she's been there ever since. Chase and Maggie both slept in a basket with a blanket in it and a toy to snuggle with right on the bed as babies until they were big enough to jump out of it or knock it over. It worked great for them. Good luck with it and I hope you get a good night's sleep soon!

Don't know if this will help but this is what we are doing.

the first 3-4 nights we put him in our bed in his puppy bed. If he moved we took him to potty.

Next we made the crate so he just had enough room to turn around and lay down. It is a way to big for him as a pup (24x17) made it about (17x10)

I put this beside me on a table so he could still see me. I also put in a couple of toys and a pad for comfort. Sometimes he cries when he goes in, but mostly he lays down and chews his toys. When he starts to whimper I get up and take Him to potty. At least every two hours the first couple of nights now it is usually once or twice a night depending on how late the last meal is.

We got Snikkyrs thanksgiving weekend he was 11 weeks old. so he is now 13 weeks. Last night I moved the crate to the end of the bed. and only heard him once last night. Also he has been sick and on meds with diarrhea(luckily only during the day)

Don't think I am too much help either. But, mine were both a little older. I did use a crate until they were about 6 months old. They both slept through the night after about the first week. They would wimper, I would take them out and then right back in the crate, by my bed and never heard another peep til morning. I think I was pretty lucky, but also I think because they were more like 12 weeks old.

Good luck

StaceyG3972

Update: So last night I put him in his crate by the bed because I thought he might do better being close to me. He cried for an hour straight. During that time I took him to his litter box twice. At the hour mark my husband went to get him out and found that he had had diarrhea in his crate. I am assuming from having an upset stomach from crying so much because he was really worked up.

We cleaned him up and put him back in the laundry room as before but closed the door this time instead of just having a baby gate up. He cried all night :hideingbhindcurtian: But at least with the door shut it was muffled enough for me to sleep, I had to work this morning. He was so tired from crying all night that my husbad said he has slept most of the day today.

I hope he settles down soon because I feel so bad for him. I don't want to give into letting him sleep with me because at this point I have a 3 and 4 year old that end up in the bed with me most nights so there's not much room as it is lol.

pixeljunk87

I think maybe I'm lucky! My puppy is almost 10 and 1/2 weeks old and doesn't cry at night at all! She has a crate but its inside a bigger space... (hard wood floors ect) and the door is left open. So she has her fluffy bed and about 10 toys... potty pad (mind you I finally had to tape it down to keep her from dragging it around) I always leave water and food out for her because she is still young. Oh, and a lamp stays on all night for her. :hideingbhindcurtian:

SHE only whines/crys when she sees someone. I usually play with her alot at night... and wear her out. Or try to.. she is a playful little thing. lol

CrazyTzuLady

Yeah I would be absolutely no help either. We tried the crate when we got Gizmo and daddy couldn't take the crying so he popped him in bed with momma and that is where he and the other three have been ever since. :mf_seehearspeak:

Not much advice here either, we also folded and the very first night Gizmo arrived home with us he ended up sleeping with us and still does.

Have you tried leaving something with him that has your scent on? Maybe a covered hot water bottle or heating pad in his bed or putting a radio on quietly in the same room he sleeps in, a station that has lots of talking would be better.

Gizmo has anxiety problems and if ever we need to nip out without him, we have found leaving the tv on seems to settle him much better than a quiet house. So maybe the radio idea might be worth a try.

I hope He settles down soon :mf_seehearspeak:

Yes I to leave the TV on if I have to leave the house for a day, and when my mom checks on Miley 2-4 times a day, she says that shes sound asleep each time.

StaceyG3972

Well...... I gave in last night lol. I ended up with 2 kids and the dog in bed. We all slept well at least. Each time a kid wandered into the room they said "ooo the puppy!" as they got in the bed lol.

pookiebear01

I crate trained all 3 of my dogs, i find it to be the best method of potty training, anyway, We have a wire crate for Pookie bear, he sleeps very well in there, its right next to my bed and he can see me at all times. He's done very well with this, My pug was the hardest for me to crate train, she cried for several nights, but one night I took a hot water bottle and filled it with warm water, and a clock that ticked, and wrapped both of them in some towels and put them in her crate, she curled right up with them and off to sleep she went. Ever since then she's had no problems, she's now 5 years old, and hasn't been in a crate for about 2 years now.

Yes I to leave the TV on if I have to leave the house for a day, and when my mom checks on Miley 2-4 times a day, she says that shes sound asleep each time.

Same with Gizmo, We did a little test and put the webcam on while we were out and left the tv off, he didn't settle and spent most of the time checking out of the window for us. We also did another run a few days later and left the tv on for him. He jumped on the sofa after we left and slept till we got home. I know he spends most of his time on the sofa now (without using the webcam) as the sofa is always warm on our return :dede: He seems to prefer discovery channel lol

Last night was the first night Hamilton slept in his crate. He was sleeping with us but he kept peeing on my husbands side of the bed LOL. It wasn't very funny to him. He did great, he has a soft fluffy blanket in there and I put in his pet stages puppy it has rice you can warm up. Kind of acts like a heating pad. He whined for a minute and went right to sleep. Hammy is crated up to 4 hours a day while DH and I run errands. Does your puppy spend time in it's crate other than bed time?

I would definatly use the crate. Not only do dogs find it like a secure den that makes them feel safe but it will save any furniture or items he may find chewable as he gets older. I would also take away his food and water at night. He maybe potty trained now but he is still very young. Try giving him a bone or toy to play with at night instead. I would suggest some sort of interactive toy to keep him busy for awhile, such as a kong puppy toy. You can put some treats inside and then as he gets bored at night he may find comfort in chewing on it or getting treats out of it.

We brought a 9 week old Shih Tzu home last Saturday (our 2nd one!) and he's had a rough time at night. We put a clock in his gated area that ticks all night long, AND we put a huge stuffed animal in his gated area that he cuddles up to. We did the clock and the stuff animal last night and it was the first night he didn't cry - it was a very peaceful nights rest!

As far as the crate, I wouldn't recommend putting him in there all night long until he actually enjoys being in there. We just gate an area and leave his crate door open, with his blanket half way in the crate and half way out, and let him do as he pleases. We probably won't lock him in the crate at night for another week or two.

Good luck!

Well, now I can relate my experience....we have had Rudy for a little over a week now and the first night I put him in his kennel by my bed...he whinned some and I put my hand in and shusshed him and in a few minutes he stopped. I made the kennel very small so he feels more secure and won't want to potty in it. In a couple hours, he started stirring around and then whinned, I got up and took him out to potty, he did and right back in the kennel he went....we have done this every night and now he goes in with NO problem and he whines to go out and I take him and he goes and then right back in. Last night he slept from 10:30 til 5am and even then went back to bed til 8:30 when I woke him. I think some will cry more than others and we each have to be comfortable with the methods we choose. Just like using potty pads versus outside or both...we have to make a choice and stick with it for consistency for the puppy. So hopefully all of us with new puppies at home are getting rest at night and if not tonight, hopefully tomorrow night....LOL. It is just like a newborn baby...they are all different and come with their own set of instructions....yea right!!! Good luck everyone.

Gizmo uses potty pads at night and pretty much throughout the day as he is not a fan of doing his business outside, he flatly refuses to go out in the cold or damp.

We had no problems settling him into our routine when he arrived home. Not one bad nights sleep. However it's a different story with Bella, we had a few horrendous nights where I would have maybe 2 hours sleep but I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Gizmo would sleep on his bed on the floor next to our bed and was fine until he was old enough to jump on the bed.

What worked for Giz doesn't work for Bella. I placed her bed next to me but had to hang my arm off the bed all night to hold her as she wouldn't settle unless she had contact with me. I had very little sleep and a numb cold arm doing this. I was reluctant to let her sleep on the bed in case she fell off or had an accident. After 3 days of sleepless nights I gave in and let her sleep on the bed, she hasn't had any accidents or fallen! She simply wanted to be with us and Gizmo. When she wants to potty she will cry and I take her to the potty pad and wait for her to do her business and then she cries to get back on the bed. She has been so good for the last few nights. She is a total cuddle bug. I'm hoping when Bella's jabs are finished she will learn to go potty outside...hopefully she might teach Gizmo some good toilet habits, he seems to like copying her at the moment :dede: