Aggression on leash and behind gate.....

Carolina Girl

My Ozzy boy is soooo sweet. When people come over, he loves to play and run around like a nut. It's really quite funny. When he is on leash, or behind a gate he growls and barks at people. He has bitten while on leash. Someone bent down while on leash, and Ozzy snapped at them. I am so afraid now on walks that someone will try to pet him and he will bite again. Any advice? Why does he do this?

Sometimes dogs develop On Leash Aggression. I'm dealing with it on Rally right now..I'm training the behavior by teaching him to "look at me" for a treat, and try to divert her attention from the other dogs. (Rally has NO aggression to people ever, just other dogs)..I didn't want the little babies to pick up his bad habits, so now they know that everytime they see another dog walking, or barking I say "Look at me" and then when they sit down and look at me, I reward..If I notice that Rally is acting crazy by the fence, I block him, and then put him inside the house. You might try this training video as well.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFnt17aW8I0

It can indicate protectiveness. You need to do whatever you can to nip it in the bud!

Ozzy'sMommy

oz does this too only if he is on leash. he did it today at petsmart with a burmese mountain dog puppy. at first he was fine and then the puppy stepped on him on accident because she is of course just a puppy. oz gets all mad but he won't get mad if he is off leash at the dogpark or with friends. but i do the same blocking thing and make him sit. and take treats with me to redirect his attention. its getting better but it takes some work.