5 Months old & still getting up during the night

mommiesbabies

Izzy gets up from 1-5 times every night. She barks until I come down and tell her to "go to sleep!!!" You know, in that whisper yell......

I have never had a dog continue to do this at this age. I can't remember when I was able to stay in bed until morning. This little girl is exhausting! We tried letting her bark but she doesn't stop. If she does she starts back up again a few minutes later. She is in a pen in the kitchen with a comfy crate, toys, water & wee pad. If there are any ideas I would love to try them!!

Your big mistake here is going down to tell her to shush. She is looking for attention and when you show up - even if it's only for a moment - she has what she wants. Much as you hate to hear this, you need to let her bark until she stops of her own accord. You may not get much sleep for a night or two, but once she figures out you're NOT coming, she'll stop. Keep a good book by your bed and when she gets going you can catch up on your reading, lol.

Dakotah's momma

I am not sure but Dakotah is 11 weeks and has not gotten up now for 4 days. He goes to bed on his own about 10 at the lastest and we take his water away at 8 and he does well. I know I am new at this also and one thing I do know and that is they will train you if we allow it. I do take D to his pad prior to going to bed and if he barks in about 3-4 hrs I take him out. I used to wake him about 3 to go potty and decided to try and wait for him and now he sleeps.

The only thing we are dealing with is that tiny dribble which tends to go on my floor more times then not but as I know have to be patient and at least it is not the other as I call it his big pee or his poo.

So I guess I have to agree let him bark if you know he does not need to go and watch and listen and you will hear the difference.

Afraid I have to agree....they sooooo know how to train US and we sooooo often let them, not realizing. Let the boy bark and like Pam said, he will get over it. Just be sure he has all he needs...potty pad IF that is what you use. Good Luck...

MisterMom

Put the crate in your room so you can just put your hand down when she is up. Worked for me. Mine sleep in the bed as soon as they are able to jump down, just in case you know !!

when i got my puppy which was about 3 weeks ago..she was very scared and lonely at night because of being the first of her litter to go. We tried to leave her in the kitchen but she kept crying so what we tried was..to put her crate in our room and the first night we slept on the floor with her and everytime she cried or bark, i would say quiet and when she stops i would say good girl...the first night, i was up all night saying quiet...the second night, i only had to say it a few times during the night..by the third night, she was really quiet and slept through the night. Then on the fourth night, we slowly moved towards sleeping on our bed again and she was able to sleep through the night. She now goes into her crate when it is bed time and sleeps from 11pm until 6am. Just remember to take her water away 2 hours prior to bedtime so she isn't crying through the night because she has to pee. I hope this helps!

Sunlite

They do train us if we let them. The best thing to do is remove the water a few hours before bed, and remember that a pup can hold it no longer than however months old they are plus one. That means a 3 month old should not be expected to hold it past 4 hours long. Hope that helps some. :)

christypooh402

Tashi is 4 months now and we got her at 10 wks. She only woke up twice since we've had her and both times were in the first week. She was the last one to go in her litter, so I wonder if she was used to being alone a little. When she barks in her crate during the day, I totally ignore her. Once she's quiet, then I'll go let her out. Also, I haven't taken her water bottle away, she has never soiled her crate. And two days a week she's in her crate for about 11 hours until I get home and she still doesn't soil it. She will still go on the carpet if we don't catch her though!

I would say to ignore her barks, any attention you give her for that is only teaching her that if she barks, she sees momma!

mom2Gizmo

I agree with keeping her crate in your room so she doesn't feel isolated, and then if she starts barking just ignore it.

I've never had the crate in my room..but that is because I am against carrying this thing up and down the stairs! (i know Im terrible!) I dont let my Sophie upstairs!! I am horrible. I had her pee on my down comforter once..and she never was allowed upstairs again! :patty:

BUT...I got Sophie at 5 months...and she was still getting up in the middle of the night 1-2 times. I was so tired. My hubby finally insisted I ignore the barks and cries. It worked. I even put her in the Garage ( which was a good temperature) when she wouldnt stop barking. That was it. She stopped after a week or so. She hasn't gotten up again since. It is worth lying in bed listening to her back and cry rather then give in and talk to her or take her out!

She does want to get up, by clockwork, at 6 am since that is when I get up M-F. But...I get up...and either crate her right back or let her roam till I finally feel like getting up in the am on the weekends.

Edited by mchel210