Need a little help...

mr.coffee

So, there's this dog that lives next door...if you could call it living. I call him Santa's Little Helper because he looks exactly like the dog on The Simpsons.

The poor thing is and has been neglected - no socialization with humans or other dogs, no shelter from the elements, malnourished by all appearances. I can only assume, but assume I will that this dog has not received proper veterinary care. When you poke your head over the fence, he cowers and shakes like he is terrified.

I've called the local authorities more times than I can count. Sometimes I figure they do nothing. Other times I know they come because I see them, but it seems that nothing comes of their visits. In an area with a high kill rate shelter, I don't know that I'm comfortable continuing to pursue that anyway.

I've been stewing about this situation for a long time now, and have decided that something needs to happen, but I don't know how to go about it. The first step I've pondered is physically removing the dog on my own - a friend has volunteered to help. Problem is, I don't know what to do next. I've asked a few people about taking him in but while everybody shakes their head, looks down and says something about people who neglect dogs, nobody seems to want to or be able to help me help him. I left a message at Dag's House for Stacy to call me, but haven't heard back from her. I hope she'll be able to do something, but in case she can't, I'm looking for ideas, some direction I should go.

Also, if anybody has pointers on handling the dog safely that would be appreciated...

-m

Edited by mr.coffee
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mr.coffee

• FairyTail Josette

• Seastar

• ShihtzuBeauty

Kae+Gizzy

I am so saddened to hear this news. I can't understand why people get animals then basically just leave them to their own devices.

Have you spoken to the owners mike? Maybe they would allow you to take him in or make a shelter of some sort for him in your yard until a home can be found. This is such an awful situation to be in. Can you feed him a little each day and gain some trust from him? He sounds in a mess :(

I am like you in many ways, I would dog nap the poor little guy if there was no other way of making sure this dog has a decent life.

No idea about handling him but I really would try and gain some trust if possible. Sorry not much help here, I wish I could do more, I'm sure someone will have some ideas for you.

mr.coffee

I may get a bag of food and try that - if nothing else, it may do him some good to eat a little. Not sure I want to approach the 'owners.' They're some pretty rough folks, if you get my meaning.

-m

tzuhouse

Gosh Mike that is so sad. I feel sorry for the little guy. It is just awful how some people feel they are "good dog owners", when clearly, they should own ANY living creature. I really don't have much in the way of suggestions. Sounds like approaching the owners is out of the question, but if you removed the dog, do you think they would know it was you and then could you trust their reaction? I can only wish you luck in helping the little one and wish I could offer more in the way of suggestions, but sorry, I can't. Good luck tho and let us know what happens.

mr.coffee

Well, I just got off the phone with Stacy. Obviously certain people and organizations must by needs operate within the law and nobody can advise me to abduct the dog. :( I knew that going in. More to the point, if I were to bring her a dog that I "found," she couldn't take it in without it being vetted for reasons that make good sense. Anyway, she has a few connections, she gave me a name of an individual who works in JP Animal Control, said to talk to them and get them to come out. My intention is to have them come to my address so that I can show them over the fence the conditions and the dog. If they deem the dog to meet certain criteria, they will remove the dog and file charges against the 'owners.' From there, they'll get the dog evaluated, vaccinated, etc. and then transfer him to Dag's, so I don't have to worry that I'm sending him to his death.

If that approach is unsuccessful, there is another option, which would be to bring this dog that I "found" to ARNO (Animal Rescue of New Orleans). We didn't discuss that in as much detail, hoping that the first plan will work out. One obstacle I face with that route is need of a way to store and transport him. Shannon is dead set against my borrowing Harley's crate for this, understandably...perhaps I can borrow a crate from Stacy if it comes to that. The other major obstacle is gaining access to the dog, but I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

It's too late in the day today for me to do this, but hopefully I can initiate action tomorrow morning.

-m

MisterMom

What size, weight, type and age does the dog appear to be ? Is it chained? As long as they have water & some food, the 'authorities' won't do anything

Do a web search in your area for 'rescue' groups. These are not shelters and although a pain to deal with if you want to adopt, find either permanent or temporary homes for dogs, get them medical attention and spayed/neutered, & heart worm treatment. Some are general as to breed, some are breed specific.

Good luck !!

mr.coffee

He's young, roughly a year, maybe. I don't know the breed but he looks exactly like SLH on the Simpsons. I know SLH is supposed to be a Greyhound, but there's obviously some artistic license in the portrayal, if you will. I don't believe this dog is a Greyhound. Perhaps a Whippet or mix of some sort? Not sure what he weighs, either, but he's small. I refer to him as a he, but as he's cowering in a corner every time I see him, he may well be a she. He's not chained, rather confined to a small patio/yard area.

Devon and I have both made a habit of looking in on him over the fence, we've never seen food and water readily available and Devon says his bowls are chewed up and destroyed. Devon says the last time he looked, the area was pretty badly littered with feces as well.

-m

FairyTail Josette

Oh my, this is so sad. :) Thank god for people that care like yourself. Have you implemented the "plan" yet? I had a similar situation. But, it was the dead of winter and the owners left their Bichon outside ALL the time. Luckily, it was a very mild winter. This was mid January. He was so matted and dirty. I called several times to complain, nothing was ever done. Finally, I dressed all in black, even black shoe polish on my face...and accidentally ended up in their yard with a Bichon in my arms! :( My cousin has him now. :dede:

ShihNanigans

I dressed all in black, even black shoe polish on my face...and accidentally ended up in their yard with a Bichon in my arms!

I gotta say it...Suzi, you rock! :thumb:

I admire both of your willingness to throw caution to the wind and do something.

Be careful, Mike. I can't wait to hear how it goes, good luck!

Seastar

I'm on your side, Mike, and would be willing to send you a donation to help with whatever you must do. I'd be willing to steal the dog if I knew nobody was home, and take it to a no-kill place--"Uh, I just found this stray along the road..." kind of thing.

Heck, I've been known to uproot human ashes in the pursuit of justice. (that's another story)

ShihtzuBeauty

Ya I too would remove him personally from the prison he's in if nothing gets accomplished in a day or two. In the meantime I would make sure he has food/water. Good luck and please keep us posted.

mom2Gizmo

If the dog lives outdoors all the time, contact Dogs Deserve Better. They help chained dogs, and will help dogs living outdoors even if not chained I believe. They have a chapter in almost every state.

I know you say the shelter is high kill. But sometimes humane euthanasia (as long as it isn't gassing, etc.) is not the worst fate a dog can face, you know? I'm not saying necessarily in this case. The dog is young and hopefully can be helped. But I'm just pointing out that a kill shelter that humanely euthanizes is not the enemy. And in cases of dogs that cannot be helped for some reason or another, humane euthanasia is a kinder fate than some others.

I don't understand people who keep their dogs outdoors. It makes me want to cry, scream, rant, rave, and so on. :thumb:

I wouldn't remove him on your own. That's stealing. But have you offered to buy the dog from them? Sometimes it works.

Here's the link to the Dogs Deserve Better website.

http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/reps.html

That is the area rep. page.

Edited by mom2Gizmo
mr.coffee

Thought I'd post in here just to keep it up to date. Long story short, there's a few things going on in my personal life which I'm not really open to discuss publicly at the moment; however, the relevant bit is that we're needed by a very close friend who is in a troublesome situation, we're staying from afternoons through mornings so that she won't be home alone. It's dominating my time and attention, leaving me very little time during the day to address things which must be done. Frustrating, and just one more way I've been affected by recent events. Oh well, we do what we can.

So, yesterday on the way out I looked over the fence and BEHOLD! There was a bowl of food in the yard. Not much, perhaps he'd already eaten some.

Lisa, I completely understand, and fundamentally I agree that in certain cases euthanasia is appropriate and acceptable, even amongst humans. That isn't the issue in itself, but I have a hard time stomaching the thought that by making the call, I, personally, could be responsible for sending him to his death when there may be a chance for him to have a good life with a loving family. Not completely rational, but I'm soft that way. I've even been known to stop the car to help turtles cross the road!

Paula, it's interesting that you mention the ashes - at the storage facility where Shannon works there have been remains abandoned in spaces on several occasions: two humans and a dog. One of the people was returned to a relative, but the others are still there.

As for the rightness or wrongness of abducting the little guy, I suppose for me it comes down to this: If he can be legally removed, that's the best approach. If not, then I'm faced with the moral dilemma - which is worse, acting to help him by abducting him (which understandably is considered wrong by some), or not acting, and allowing him to remain in what I view as unacceptable conditions (which I also consider wrong)? Are there cases where two wrongs can in fact lead to turning something right? But hopefully it's moot and I will be able to get in touch with this woman and make the arrangements.

So far today, I've made no real progress, I've been unable to reach her but will continue to try.

-m

good luck mike. i know you're doing a good thing here. the moral dilemma is frustrating i know. i don't know how i'd act in a similar situation.

mr.coffee

Well, new update. Certain levels are to be bypassed if you will, and we are going to move to get this guy directly to a vet where he'll be examined and get his shots, then he'll be immediately transferred out of state. It remains unclear who's footing the bill for this, or if he's being directly taken in by an individual or an organization, but whatever the case it will be better than where he's at.

The down sides, I'm in a bit of a situation now caring for a close friend and not staying home much, probably until the end of the month. It's going to be hard for me to make a move when I'm rarely here. Also, I'm having to try and locate a crate for him. I don't know how he'll respond to anything, scared dogs & all...you know how that is.

The up sides, I've got a few guys in the neighborhood who are aware of the situation and want to help make this happen. I've been seeing more food over there, though I don't know about water. I suspect somebody around here is slipping him kibble. I was up at the fence yesterday, talking through the fence and he came over, tried to stick his nose under the fence and kinda wibbled at me, I think he'll be friendly and mellow.

So, once again I'll keep y'all posted...

-m

You GO MIKE....I :( you. Don't know how this is all going down, but sending good thoughts that it will go smoothly. Little guy deserves so much more.

ShihtzuBeauty

Oh I too soo hope this all works out for him I pray he finds a peaceful, loving forever home no matter How it needs to happen.

I am so impressed with you Mike to help out this sweet dog. Every animal should have it as easy as our tzu's.

One more thing, maybe you could try craigs list for a crate. You never know what you'll find. I've seen small transport crates at local thrift stores.

mr.coffee

I try to be discreet, and poking my head over the fence to talk to a dog is one thing....anyway, I'm on my way out for the evening, I'm going to see if I can get a cell phone picture of him through a gap in the fence. No promises, but I'd love to show him to you! Even if I ~do~ get a pic, I doubt I'll be around to post anything until at least tomorrow.

-m

CrazyTzuLady

Mike you are such a kind man. I hope it all turns out well, that poor pup deserves a loving home all his own.

mr.coffee

Okay, I was able to get a picture through the fence, here it is!

First, the original shot:

dog1-scaled.jpg

Next, zoomed in to the dog:

dog1-zoomed-cropped.jpg

And last, slightly enhanced:

dog1-zoomed-cropped-enhanced.jpg

I was talking to the downstairs neighbor, and my suspicions have been confirmed, several people around here are feeding him. He actually looks better now than he has in the past, has a little meat on him. For a while, he was skin and bone! Either way, though, the conditions still scream WRONG to me and we're moving forward, all that remains is to arrange a date & time.

-m

You have a big, wonderful heart Mike. But...you (and Chatter!) already know that! I expect that SLH will be in good hands shortly.

Sweet dog Mike, heres hoping all goes well and the baby gets a new home soon.

FairyTail Josette

Those photos are heart breaking. He looks so sad, lost, and cowering. He appears to be protecting his food, since, he hasn't been fed by his owner. :( Gosh, I can't wait for his big day of FREEDOM! God bless you, Mike, you're an angel.