A new tactic for curbing Chloe's behavior

chloechanel'smommy

As some of you may remember, I posted a few months ago about the problem I was having with Chloe. She was resource guarding me terribly if my husband or one of my older sons came into the room. She would jump up and bark and growl at them like she was crazy! I had been racking my brain trying to figure out how to stop this unwanted behavior. For the last week or so, I have been keeping liver treats handy. When someone comes into the room and she starts to react I immediately direct my attention to her and instruct her to "go to bed." When she retreats to the bed in which ever room we are in, she gets a liver treat and then I direct my attention back to the person who entered the room. This seems to be working so far. Keep your fingers crossed as this was causing a major problem in my household and was one of the reasons why I couldn't get a new puppy from Chloe's breeder at this time. B)

I have seen this on It's Me or the Dog....and she suggests having the "other" person offer the treats....maybe you could tell her to go to her bed and the other person could give the treat so she doesn't see them as "bad"....just a thought.

chloechanel'smommy

I didn't think about asking the other person to offer treats. Good idea. Thanks!