Raising a well rounded and socialized Tzu

Carolina Girl

It is obvious that poor Ozzy was not socialized or trained in any way when we got him. Actually, Daisy had her issues too. But she just ran and hid from people. That's easier to deal with than barking, growling, and nipping.

I've never had a puppy before, so I've been reading books and magazines. I just read an article on pupy socialization and it says that the window for socializing a puppy is 8-16 weeks. It gives a listing of 100 things that your puppy should be exposed to during that timeframe. However, the vet says not to take him out in public until all of his shots have been given. My question is, what can I do to make sure that little Mowgli is well socialized? I want him to have confidence to be around strangers and not be afraid or aggressive towards them? Is it enough to just let people hold him when they stop by? My worst fear is him not being socialized and exposed to different things. I just don't know how to go about this?

I think we read the same article! I wanted Oliver to be well socialized too and it is hard when you have to keep them away from possible infections/diseases when they're so young. I enrolled Oliver in a puppy training class at Petsmart. I had already taught him a lot of the basic commands, but I wanted him to be around other puppies and people. He hid under my chair the first class, but by the end he was the class clown! Also, try to visit family members and friends (with and without dogs) during this time. Oliver got to meet a lot of dogs, some who wanted to play and others, who did not and let him know it, which I think is a valuable experience as well. I also took him with me to run errands to places that wouldn't object. Home Depot and Office Depot are dog friendly. He went with me to the post office, to get my oil changed and anywhere I could think of to get him out and around people. I even took him to work with me occasionally.

Good luck! :)

Claudiabehr

If it were true that the window for socializing a puppy is between 8 and 16 weeks, then there'd never be a point to taking in a rescue dog/puppy. The article is one point of view and it sounds to me like a rather narrow one. Many many many puppies/dogs don't have the luxury of being socialized by wise and benevolent owners and still manage to become loving, stranger-loving, new situation-loving healthy dogs. I would wait until all the shots as there are some very nasty things puppies can catch and then begin the process of socialization to strange situations at that point. I'll bet you see no difference between when you do it and when the article says you should do it.

ShihTzuholic

I haven't had any problems with Gizmo. We get a lot of people that stop by and visit, so he is used to strangers and he loves anyone and everyone that will give him attention. He also plays with other dogs with no problem. Likes my cats too but they don't share the feeling, lol.

Have you ever watched the show 'It's Me or the Dog' on Animal Planet? I think that might be a good place to pick up a few tricks if you are having agression problems. I never tried any of her methods, but I know the trainer on that show has made some amazing changes in some of the dogs on that show.

MisterMom

ALL 4 of mine bark & raise hell as long as anyone is OUTSIDE. Once they are inside it's a free for all to see who can get a rub.

Sometimes, Coco will back up and bark at a stranger in the house, but not often. I don't know that I ever socialized any of them :)

We have friends & family that come over & bring their dogs with them, no one ever pays much if any attention.

You can still take them places, just hold them. Also, make sure they are exposed to things like ball caps and umbrellas and loud noises, things like that....you don't want timid, scaredy cats either.

GizmoHappyKitty

I still took Lucky on the walks with and the other dogs, but would hold him until he had his 2nd set of shots. After his 2nd set I let him walk, but only on the sidewalk (tried to keep him off the grassy areas, except for at our complex) and no parks until after he had his 3rd set of shots. Lucky LOVES everyone and loves to run up to them and say hi, he also loves every dog he meets :)

Michele and the pups

• 2 months later...
Leighla's mom

My tzu Leighla is probably the most socialized dog i've ever had. She loves EVERYBODY she loves all dogs, she loves all cats, she gets along with small animals. All it took was taking her everywhere, I took her to petsmart and let everyone including kids pet her, I took her to the dog park and let her play with other small dogs and even gentle larger dogs starting at the age of about 12 weeks when she had her second set of shots, she grew up with my cats, and grew up with my large dogs so she is used to dogs of all sizes and not intimidated at all by any dog, the neighbor kids play with her and take her on walks so she LOVES kids. She loves all guests and will greet everybody who comes in the house with no barking (I have my big guys to do that), she loves car rides, and she is just well rounded and amazing!

Oops I just realized that this is an old thread lol

Edited by Leighla's mom

Puppies have passive immunities from their mother. I never have worried about them picking up diseases--when they are very young, they aren't that great at leash-walking anyway, so I carry them to meet dozens of people in our little town.

Carolina Girl

We have taken Mowgli everywhere with us. He absolutely loves people! I'm convinced that it's part good breeding and part of socialization. I have gotten to the point that I put Ozzy away when we have guests. I am doing that for his protection. I don't want him to be labeled as an aggressive dog. He loves children though. So, when the kids have friends over, he stays out. But he has learned that when people come over, he goes into his room and gets a frozen yogurt kong.