Can I ask WHY

mom2Gizmo

I had pretty much the same experience with the rescues. I was finally approved, but, the two dogs I was interested in were both placed already. They told my I needed to pick out a bigger dog, because I have fibromyalgia. They would not have even known about the fibromyalgia if I had not mentioned it. I wanted the little dog to keep me company on the days when I was feeling kind of down. These little babies are very theraputic.

I went out and bought a baby from a lady who just needed to be rid of them before the forth of July, because she was going out of town. Izzy was a little over 5 weeks old, which is way to young. If I had not bought her someone else would have and may not have taken care of such a small baby.

This kind of thing is what keeps the puppy mills in operation. There are a lot of people out there who tried a rescue first and were turned down, for one small reason or another. I know there are some folks out there who should not even ever own a pet, but don't punish every one for a few bad apples.

This kind of thing is what keeps the puppy mills in operation?? So in other words, it's not the fault of the people who bought the pup from the puppymill.....it's the fault of the rescue? I'd like to respectfully disagree. There are many rescues and shelters and humane societies and city pounds, etc., etc., and they all have different rules. If you don't like the rules of one rescue, find somewhere else to adopt from. It takes time and patience. Something most people don't want to find in themselves. But it is certainly not the fault of rescues that puppymills are still in operation!!

FairyTail Josette

I have worked with a couple of breed specific rescue organizations. I sympathize and understand one's frustration when they are turned down on an adoption. But, the breed specific org's. I have worked with.....most of their fosters are special needs. Many have been severely abused, neglected, and treated inhumanely their entire lives. Some are puppy mill survivors. Thus, the adoptees have issues to work through. The org. spends over a year rehabbing the dog, and many times the dog is still never over all the trauma he/she has endured. Many fosters that I have seen have fear biting issues where they bite out of fear. They are afraid of many things...noises, a simple object, and just spook easily. Many fosters I've seen have a "terror of human hands" after being abused. Many are also high flight risks, thus, you see the requirement for the fenced in yard. They spook easily and will bolt and will run til they drop. Puppy mill survivors have a fear of water hoses. The millers will take a garden hose and SPRAY out the wire cage. This terrifies them. There was a case of a dog with a family for over a year and had been socialized. They were walking on leash in front of the neighbor's house. The neighbor was watering the lawn. The dog completely freaked out and tried to bolt. So, there are many factors that go into "why" the rescue org's. have these rules. Even a dog that's been dumped due to a baby arrival in the family or, the eldery owner passed away, but, no actual abuse on a day to day basis....these dogs can be traumatized. So, it's crucial that their placed in a forever home, so, they are not dumped again or possibly face euthanization at a shelter. That's the biggest fear the rescue org's face....after all their work and time and money....the dog could end up in the wrong hands again at some point. I don't mean to disrespect anyone's feelings....but, I really feel this thread is doing a huge disservice to all the people out there giving their time and entire lives to save a furbaby. I think one has to look at the entire picture and exactly where the rescue org is coming from and the horror of what they see on a daily basis. Please, don't be upset with the rescue org's rules and regulations. Be upset with the human being or beings that dumped that dog, or abused him/her physically and emotionally, and, bred them endlessly.

eeyoredag

My little Peek-A-Boo was one of these badly abused dogs. She was 5 months old when I got her. Even after being with me for 14 years she still ducked when she wanted picked up. She was afraid of loud noises, other dogs, and anything that looked like a stick. I couldn't even sweep because she was so afraid. I am not upset with rescues I am upset with the idiots that treat helpless animals like that. My Peek-A-Boo was a wonderful little dog. Yes, I had to be careful with her but it didn't matter because she loved me and I loved her.

There are rescues because people are not responsible or they are greedy. The animals are the ones that suffer. People think animals are property so they don't have feelings. They bleed and feel pain just like people do. They shut down from abuse just like people do.

Whether a person rescues or buys a purebred animal is their choice. I don't think it's right for one to be singled out for doing either. I've been asked why I didn't rescue instead of buying purebreds. I did try to rescue it didn't happen. I was so alone after Peek-A-Boo passed away. I live in a very rural area and not many options. I don't drive any more since the amputation. Going anywhere is 50 to 60 miles away and my few friends that I have weren't willing to be a taxi SO the rules of the rescues stopped me from doing that here. I didn't have the option of going somewhere else. In the end I did what was best for me so that I wouldn't be alone.

Carolina Girl

I know that I have voiced my frustration over not being able to adopt through a rescue group. If Ozzy had been in a rescue as oppsed to the "pound", I would not have been able to adopt him. I have spent big bucks to help him. But a rescue group would have no way of knowing that I would do that. I have spent a ton of time and energy working with him. But a rescue group would have no way of knowing that I would do that either. Some other person may have gotten Ozzy and decided that he was not worth the aggravation. It is very frustrating. But, the rescue groups are looking at what is best for the dog/cat, not the adopter. I'm glad that there are people out there that are only looking out after these babies. I don't understand all the rules and why they are in place. But I have to believe that the rescue groups are just putting the animals first. I don't want what I say, and my frustration with my experience to dissuade someone to try and go through a rescue group.

If you can't find a group willing to work with you, I really suggest going to the "pound". The one here always has small breeds and very regularly have shih tzus. It's a very small fee to save a life, no questions asked!

chloechanel'smommy

I really was set on adopting a shelter dog after watching a heartbreaking segment that Oprah did on shelter dogs. But when I went to the first shelter I had such a horrible experience, I was just like forget it. I own my own home, have a huge fenced in backyard as well as vet references but I took my two youngest sons with me and the lady at the shelter acted like they had the plague. She wouldn't even let me look at some of the potential dogs that I may have wanted because of "the kids". She wouldn't even let me into one of the rooms because of "the kids". It was "the kids" this and "the kids" that. I was like well "the kids" are here to stay so she could just keep her dogs. I do understand that there are reasons that some shelters do not like to place some dogs in a home where there are children but she never gave me any. I just never went to another shelter. I just decided that it may be best to get a puppy so that it could be raised with "the kids" and found a good breeder.