Oskar270

Koko some times scratches the carpets in the house furiously like she wants to dig something but then she stops after a minute or so. I just wonder why

I don’t think it is to do her business because she is very regular on that, she always goes in the garage.

Anyone with similar experience?

MisterMom

Coco scratches at the edge of the carpet trying to get a loose thread to pull on. Angel scratches in the chairs and couches and makes circles trying to make it a just right bed.

Chloe's Mama

Clhoe is a digger like that, too. Not at the carpet, though. She does it on the bathroom floor or in her crate. Or she'll lay on her side by the wall and scratch. It's kinda like she's trying to make a nest or she's just too wired and that's how she expels some energy.

Another problem, I'm having w/ her right now, is chewing. Yes, I know, puppies chew. But, she's been licking and biting at the wall in the bathroom and has made a hole through the wallpaper and now, you can see the drywall. :) I've repeatedly told her no, and distracted her w/ a bone or toy to chew on, but eventually she finds her way back there.

chloechanel'smommy

Chloe is a digger too. She digs in her bed, the couch, our beds, the floor or wherever. I know she's not looking for anything in particular. She stops when I tell her to. I guess that's just what they do.

MisterMom

I put / rub some Tabasco hot sauce on whatever they start chewing on. Smart little buggers, they quit real quick !!!

Yep....all three of mine do the digging "thing"....we call it "digging to China"...LOL They most often do it in OUR bed or in theirs...

FairyTail Josette

Josey doesn't dig at the carpet. But, when she gets very playful and excited, she will lay on her side and dig at the side of her bed for a brief time.

Our Maltese does dig at the carpet and on hubby's suede chaise. For my dogs, it appears to be an instinctual behavior when they're playful or nesting.

ShihtzuBeauty

LOL mine are all diggers too espicially Eve. I swear sometimes she thinks she's digging her way to China. :signthankspin: They will dig in the furniture or in the covers on the bed.

Jack doesn't dig (except in dirt, lol), but all the Tzu will dig at the one area rug in the house, on the couch, our bed, their beds. We say, "Oh, look! He/She is attempting to return to the Motherland!". However, I have no idea why they do it.

As far as chewing, a bit of hot sauce (or cayenne pepper mixed with a little vegetable oil for furniture or woodwork) and applied to the object or area being chewed stops 'em right fast.

Daisy's Parents

Our greyhounds and Tzu's do this. Apparently, it's an instinctive behavior that dogs engage in when making a bed, we call it the 'twigs and leaves' dance. Our little Hank will dig furiously at the bed and his favorite chair in the living room. Eventually he settles down and goes to sleep. The greyhounds do this with their floor pillows (sorry, they're just too big to be lap dogs).

All 4 of mine do it. Its when they are tired and they are trying to get comfy to take a nap. They do it on the couch and with blankets.

Oskar270

I guess each one has its own character

Glad to be educated, Thanks

Chloe's Mama

At the vet's office, they had a bottle of something to deter chewing on furniture and such. I was like "Yeah, let's get a bunch of those and just spray the whole house." We didn't get any. I didn't look to see what it was made from.

Edit: Actually, it was this stuff, or something similar. I remember the "bitter apple".

Edited by Chloe's Mama