how Max completed our family

maxnminnie

My mom and I had been contemplating over adding another fluffbutt to our family. Part of the reason was for Minnie, but I really wanted take in one that "needed" a forever home. We would just talk about it randomly ..it wasn't a hurry. On a Sunday night in the end of July I randomly searched through petfinder classifieds section where owners were looking to rehome their pets and came across Max. There was a little picture of him with a long coat. The description said he was neutered and pad trained. So that night, I emailed Max's owner wondering if he was still available. I thought someone would have taken him because his "add" had been out since the beginning of July! I received a reply within an hour saying that he still needed a home. I passed info about Max by my mom casually ..and even though she hadn't said yes .. I just couldn't sleep that night.

Monday

I continued exchanging emails with the owner during work. I found out Max was up to date on vaccinations but not on flea or heartworm meds. I explained to her that I would be starting him on heartworm meds and flea meds once tested. After speaking with the owner over the phone, she said she would give me Max for free even though I offered her a fee. She told me Max needed to be groomed badly (whew thank goodness because the groomer I go to is 50-60 for bath and cut)!

I really wanted to bring him home. I called my mom, explaining Max's situation and told her I'm going to go meet him. I called my friend Monica, basically she's my friend to go to about dog stuff, and asked her to go with me to pick Max up... didn't want to go by myself since the drive was an hour and I would be meeting people I don't know. After work, Monica and I met up and set off to get Max. When we arrived at the owner's house, we were greeted by the whole family, wonderful people. They had a westie and of course Max, who came running up to us. Max was a big white furball and after speaking with the family a little, we scooped him up, put his crate and sweater in my trunk and drove off. He sat in Monica's lap...whimpering a little but mainly because he wanted the window down lol (it was raining)

We came home and further inspected him. We bathed him and realized he was terribly matted. He had the longest nails I've ever seen on the dog and he had gunk around his eyes. We tried to get him to eat but he only ate a little. He did go potty outside but later also went on our front door carpet. That night, he slept with Minnie and Me on my bed...well if you call it sleeping at all! He would wake up at the slightest noise and would whine a little (this happened only for the first 3 days). Minnie's wonderful groomer was able to fit Max in the schedule the next day and he came back looking like a completely different little boy.

Max became fully houstrained within a week. He now will go in the backyard and come back when called. He also sleeps deeply now (currently passed out next to me). Max will tolerate me brushing his teeth but I know I will have to get his dental done soon. The wellness checkup went well, he was healthy heartworm free and 8lbs. He used to not respond to toys but now plays, I think Minnie's had a lot of influence on him, bless her little heart. I am working on obedience .. even though he is REALLY obedient he doesn't know how to sit on command lol

Max has his little quirks like ... rolling in the grass, yawning out loud, spinning around, getting the zoomies in the backyard....

unlike Minnie .. he is a "lapdog" ... he LOVES to just be with you .. Minnie LOVES to just roam around :hysterical:

So in the span of two days.. Max completed our family. Completed as in ..we are no longer looking for any dogs as of the moment :hysterical: we are perfectly balanced with the ones we have .. of course there are many possibilities in the future for more rescues!

Spontaneous? Yes Risky? YES but not the least bit regretful :hysterical:

Emma's mommy

Very sweet! I think it's great that you were "SPONTANEOUS and RISKY !! " Thanks for providing a happy home. :blush-anim-cl: Enjoy your babies!

Very happy to hear this story about Max and you. He sounds like a great little guy. Congratulations to both of you.

thank you :) YES I have TONS of pics ... just made a photobucket account .. here are some of them

driving back home after picking him up ... that's monica

38504_1499130874483_1120470817_32371843_

this was either before or after the bath

38547_1499279998211_1120470817_32372372_

the next morning .. Minnie was still shy :blush-anim-cl:

38055_1499477403146_1120470817_32373024_

after a trip to the groomers

38538_1499696168615_1120470817_32373952_

recent pic

IMG_0534.jpg

and of course ... a videoo :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDy_AcqOhCY

hope you enjot and thanks for the comments

Edited by maxnminnie
chloechanel'smommy

What a great story. He is cute. I am so glad you and Max found each other and your family is now complete. Minnie is a cutie too.

Wicket's mom

What a little sweetie! I really enjoyed your pics and videos. I'm happy Max now has a good home and someone to love him :blush-anim-cl:

ShihtzuBeauty

Ahh what a Sweetie :):blush-anim-cl: For sharing your story w/us.

I can't believe I missed this! Wow, is Max cute as a button! Isn't it a great feeling when you take in a rescue? Have fun!