1.5 y/o hates crate, won't pee in backyard

Hi everyone!

My family adopted a 1.5 y/o shih tzu about a month ago. He is sooo awesome, we just love him. We've never had a dog before and we couldn't ask for a better one than Oreo.

He came from a family that lived in an apartment for the last 6 mths (previous in a house with a yard) and couldn't take proper care of him anymore. So he was used to going potty on a walk, on a leash. We can't break this habit. A trainer told us no walks until he pees in backyard, stay with him, reward him etc. So we tried, he went almost 24 hours without peeing, pooped in backyard, turned away for one sec to get him a treat and he ate the poop!!! So, I think he feels the backyard is an extension of the house. BTW, he hasn't had one accident in the house at all. Any suggestions on how to help him know that it's OK to go in the yard? Currently the kids and I take him for 4-5 walks a day, 2 being excersice ones (running, chasing squirrels etc). I've tried the "Go Here" spray and walking him on a leash in the yard, he's just so stubborn.

Second in the crate issue. He really doesn't like it, but previous owners and our experience is he will have accidents/freak if not in crate. We had two crates, and one was a lot bigger than the other. We tried it once and came home to a scared dog covered in poo, we just felt awful. We are home a lot, but I walk daughter to school every other day, and have to crate him for 20-30 mins for that, can't take him on school grounds. He barks and barks. I am so calm when getting him in, always gets a treat, turn on radio, put him in 5 mins before we head out. But I can hear him barking as I'm walking back from the school. An we do go out as a family to some places that he just can't come. How do I make him understand that the crate is OK and not scary?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Emma's mommy

Wow, sounds like you have a lot going on. I'm new on this forum too but what has helped me out is using the SEARCH button at the top....wealth of information to read about. :)

Anyway, regarding the poop eating, I just learned that ALL dogs like it but some will eat it and some will not. :dunno: (I hope I got it right.) Oh, and that you must pick it up very fast! The trainer was right in what he told you and it seems like you are doing it. All I can say about that is that you will have to be patient and consistent in your training Oreo to "go" in the back yard. When he does, make sure you praise, praise,praise!! Maybe you could try taking him on shorter walks and spend more time with him in the yard.

The crate issue for me is a hard one because I have a new puppy too and so I am learning as I go. So , I hope I don't tell you something that is not right. But with Emma, I started putting her in her crate for ten min. or so at a time. She did not have accidents so I then was able to leave her in a little longer. At first she cried but now she is doing just fine, she doesn't cry and she will go in on her own. I was also told to start with a smaller crate and slowly increase the time that pup is in it. I sure hope that I didn't confuse you. I know It can be a lot of work but don't give up, hang in there, Oreo will catch on soon. Shih tzu's are very smart! :) Keep us posted. Good luck

Carolina Girl

Wow.....I've not had any experience with one that wouldn't go in the yard. But one of mine, Ozzy, was 6 months to 1 year when we got him. When I tried to crate him, he freaked out. He was flipping all around and peed on himself. He was terrified. I think he either had never been in one, or worse maybe had a bad experience at his previous home. We decided not to crate him. We put him and Daisy in the laundry room with a gate up. They do fine in there. When we got Mowgli, we put him in a crate from day one. We have never had issues with him. He likes his crate. There may be a reason that Oreo is not liking the crate...... You could try gating off a room and see how he does with that.....Good luck!

Those are some tough issues for sure but I do think with consistency you can solve them. Regarding the yard thing....take him to the same area of the yard to do his business every time and use a voice command. I say "go potty". It may take a week or so for him to get the message but he will. The crate can create anxiety for some dogs. I have one of those dogs and have come home to a poo covered dog a few times. How I solved the problem....I bought a wire ex-pen and connected it to the crate . Never had another issue. He never goes potty in it either. I hope something changes soon. I know those sort of issues are very difficult to deal with. Be patient and consistent. Good Luck !!

Wicket's mom

Hang in there, things WILL get better! It will take some time and lots of patience though. For pottying outside you're doing the right thing, eventually he will catch on. Do you have any neighbors or anyone you know with a dog that could come over? I adopted a 3 yr-old griff that had never even seen grass before and she didn't potty for 48hrs when I first took her home. Luckily she wasn't freaked out by the grass or anything, but she just didn't know she could "go" there. But I already had my 2 other dogs, so when they pottied, I would take her over to that spot to smell it, this helped a lot.

Good luck with Oreo, it will all be worth it in the end!

Thanks everyone, great advice.

Just an update: Oreo went pee in the yard yesterday. It was raining and he hates the rain, so we thought we'd take him on the leash in the yard and he quickly peed, praised and treat like crazy and he got back in the house. He hasn't done it again, but it's a little progress. And great idea on having another dog pee in our yard...going to ask the neighbours over for a doggie playdate.