UPDATE ON SIDNEY

Just wanted to update ya'll and say.....

I called the shelter this morning.... and Sidney has found a furever home....

MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup your heard me right....LOL

He's coming home to live with his new mommy and daddy and sister's and brother....

On one stipulation hubby said.....NO TOP KNOT ON THE BOY....LOL

Ok..have to go to work..but will fill ya'll in on the details tonight after work.

OMG.....Emmi and her brother will be family again...how cool is that?

eeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk I am so excited yet apprehensive and kinda scared. 4 DOGS? OYI!

Oh and real quick...

The owners who adopted him back when, surrendered him because he wouldn't potty train.

But health wise he is in great shape they said!

Carolina Girl

OMG! I just knew it!!!! I am sooooo happy for Sidney! This could not be any better for him! Can't wait to hear how everything goes!!! YAY!

ShihtzuBeauty

I couldn't think of a Happier ending for that little man! :) Congratulations!!! :) You know we'll want pics as soon as he's home and comfy.

Good news. How did you get hubby to change his mind? So Sydney would not potty train. What kind of reason is that to get rid of a furbaby. I don't understand some people.

luvmybabies

So happy for you and Sydney and Emmi!! Once you posted about him I didn't see any other conclusion! Hubbies always come around if they like dogs in the first place and I'm so happy yours did before someone else snapped up Sydney. It was written in the stars that both Emmi and Sydney belong together and with you. Congrats again and look forward to pics and more on his story! Let us know if Sydney recognizes Emmi!

Well...He's home and has settled right in.

I took an hour lunch break from work and met my hubby at the shelter to see him and bring him home...

They had just got him back from the groomers...He is SOOOOO SOFT!

I had to return to work, but hubby brought him home and said the introductions to Corkey, Suzie and Emmi went better than he expected.

This is little guy has obviously had NO training in obedience what-so-ever..so I have a load of work to do with him.

Emmi was, to my surprise, put out by the idea of a new family member Patrick said, upon arriving home with Sid.

I have a couple photo's Patrick took while I was at work and I have a couple I took at the shelter on my lunch break,

but they are still on my iphone. I will transfer them tomorrow.

I learned the reason he was returned to the shelter.

He is full of energy (which we will work on with good long walks, etc..) and doesn't listen well at all....

I do not think he was trained in anything...

The shelter named him Sydney originally when he was brought in with Emmi and the others back in June of '09

but I think his name given by his owner was Ciaran. Pronounced (Key- Ran)

I am sticking with Sydney and hopefully soon he'll begin to respond to it.

Ok, here's the scoop...

I read the email the owner sent to the shelter upon re-homing (returning) him and I would like to share it with ya'll!

Dear Liz...

His name is Ciaran (pronounced Key-ran) and he is actually 2 months younger than what I was told. He is usually

very active. I have failed completely at housebreaking him and he's ruined my carpets. That plus his first year was spent chewing everything from wood

furniture (including antiques) and tearing up everything from handbags to berber carpet. I'm exhausted from chasing after him to see what he's up to. If he goes outside the yard, he must be on a leash as he runs off. The only command he obey's is "Go To Bed" if I insist and threaten him enough.

He grew up here with a Maine Coon cat and my little Paraplegic shih tzu and loves other animals.

I've yet to hear him growl.

He is crate trained, (well he sleeps in a crate), loves squeaky toys and hates dry dog food.

He needs an active youngster and perhaps another dog who might help train him as well as play with him.

Perhaps what he really needs is a doggie door.

I love him dearly and pray he gets into a family who understands his needs as my greatest fear is his being rejected again. He deserves better.

Please contact me if I can help in any way.

Thanks,

Eileen

After the shelter manager let me read that I instantly knew who this lady was.

I remember her at the shelter the very day I rescued Emmi!

She is an older lady in her early to mid 70's and has a shih tzu who developed some disease and became paralyzed in the rear legs and wanted a companion for her. She found Sydney on Petfinder and drove 1 1/2 hours form Salem, OR to here to adopt him....

She was such a sweet and loving lady and I can see by how she was with her Shih Tzu (she had her with her) that she loved her babies!

I know she loved Syd, but simply based on what I have already seen of him here at home..He is a handful and needs extensive training in obedience and potty training.

But like I said, first we'll work the bad energy out of him with walks and now that he has healthy dogs to run and play with, maybe he'll chill out soon!

Ok, now....granted I have so far only had about an hour with him since I have been home.

He is full of energy I will say that..LOL

He is so loving though. LOVES to be held....BUT needs to placed on a reduced diet, which I can control his food intake.

He is FAT and needs to loose some weight..I think this lady (his owner) free fed him.

Right now my main and first concern about him is a lump I discovered on the top of his head already!

I do not know if this elderly lady used a shoe to hit him when he was misbehaving and that may have caused it, (some older people have that habit) or if it's some form of a cyst or something, regardless I

definitely want it checked out. I will be calling the shelter tomorrow and discussing the 30 day free vet care that came with him!

I want him to have a physical anyway! Just to play it safe.

He, I would say, when at a healthy weight is about 10 pounds...but right now I bet he is 14.

He is FAT! And this is unhealthy! But hopefully with scheduled feedings along with the other 3 and play and exercise, he'll lose the fat and become a lean happy boy!

But like I said, I am currently concerned about that lump on his head. It moves under the skin, but is hard and firm and about the size of a marble!

I am surprised they didn't mention it to me at the shelter.

He is up on all shots, etc, I was told, so that is good news!

Anyway...I have a brand new Pet Gear play pen with a removable zippered mesh top, that I put up and will use for his bedding (she said he did sleep in a crate) for the time being, until I know he won't potty on my bed...

Then, I will slowly transition him over to sleeping with the rest of us in the big bed.

I only hope he'll sleep through the night tonight and not whine and cry ......

He's asleep on the floor at my feet right now, but I am alone with him in the PC room with the safety gate up...

The rest are in bed with daddy. I just wanted to get Syd settled and hopefully he'll sleep well!

I'll post pics tomorrow.

I'm beat..had a long day at work and need sleep!

Good night!

Ah bless your heart for taking this little guy in. I have one of those high energy monsters. He was a real challenge as a youngster but has gotten much better. He truly tested my patience on everything and still does on occasion. My babies are like my children. Giving up on them was never an option. I feel like you are the same way......that alone gives Sidney an advantage he has never had

FairyTail Josette

:congrats: I'm soooo happy Sidney is in your care now! He will thrive in your care, Vicki. In no time at all, not only you, but, the rest of your gang will get him trained to where he needs to be and you'll get the extra weight off him. Please, keep us posted on the lump or cyst on his head.

Ah bless your heart for taking this little guy in. I have one of those high energy monsters. He was a real challenge as a youngster but has gotten much better. He truly tested my patience on everything and still does on occasion. My babies are like my children. Giving up on them was never an option. I feel like you are the same way......that alone gives Sidney an advantage he has never had

Giving up is one thing, acting on that is another.

My love for my furbugs gives me the drive to do whatever it takes to make them happy, healthy and loved even more.

This poor little fella is clueless on so many things. And the owner was right in her note to the shelter..HE HATES DRY KIBBLE. LOL

I squirted a little wild salmon oil in it to see and he licked around the kibble. Lil turd! LOL

He loves to play and I was pleasantly surprised that he slept all night without as much as a peep!

He's a good boy..

A little training, a little diet change and a lot of love and I think he's going to fit in just fine!

Leighla's mom

congrats on the new addition, he found the perfect home! I can't wait to see pictures. Leighla is very high energy as well but she doesn't tear anything up besides paper so as long as I don't have trash on the floor i'm good.