5 month old incessant whining

Hello, my first post. My 5 month old male constantly whines as soon as he wakes, if I put him in his playpen, etc. I have done what all the experts have told me to do and ignore him if I know all his needs have been met, food, potty, etc; however, I am afraid that I may have aggravated the situation because he came home this summer and when I brought him out to play, he needed more water than normal, therefore, I took was careful to take him out more often, sometimes every 1.5 hours. Also, since these dogs were obviously bred as companion dogs, I kept a dog bed next to me in the kitchen while I work and let him play with his toys. He used to play with toys by himself for a while, but now, he won't play with them unless I am playing with him or we are doing training exercises.

It has gotten to be so that I am at my wits end. I really like my pup, but this whimpering has to end before lose my mind. Is this normal for his breed? This is my first Shih Tzu. He was a gift from a dear friend.

I will be calling my vet to bring him in again to be checked because he is urinating more frequently since we came back from a beach trip and the whimpering has increased. Not sure if it was because he was with us more often, or he got a urinary tract infection from the sand. He is active, playing, running around, and I do not notice him licking that area at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

MisterMom

Tzu DEMAND attention. One of the reasons I got my second was so the first one would have entertainment !!

Most Tzu are clingy dogs that just want your constant attention and to be close to you.

If whining gets him what he wants he will whine, if not he may bark. A cong with peanut butter in it provides both a challenge, a treat, and occupies time. Doesn't work too good on carpet !!

He probably got use to more attention while on vacation. Hey, he just wants more vacation !!

Good Luck

Wicket's mom

:blush-anim-cl: Your Willie is a little cutie!

If you suspect a urine infection, I would definately take him to the vet to get that checked out. Whining for attention can be normal though. Wicket does it every now and then, he'll sit in the middle of the floor and whine, and as soon as someone so much as looks at him he wags his tail, then if we don't go to him he'll whine again...I guess it's just a side effect of being a spoiled little brat! You can't help but love em anyway...

ShihtzuBeauty

Hi and Welcome to the family! :blush-anim-cl: Adorable baby! :blush-anim-cl: Any updates were you able to get him checked by your vet?

Was also going to suggest the KONG, but only after you are sure there are no other problems. Welcome, by the way. Any word from the vet?

Thanks for the welcome. I spoke with the vet and he does not have any signs of a UTI. We think it may be he just wants to go out more to play in the yard. There has been much more rain of late and he has been playing inside. He is quite clever. He has much better control of his bladder now and being a male dog always has some urine available. He may just be making it look like he had to urinate, because it is not something he does right away. He goes for his toys outside first. Also, when he goes off lead, he occasionally runs into the woods looking for other animals poo. I have started him on digestive enzymes to see if it helps alleviate this urge. He eats a high quality food, gets plenty of exercise since I am home with him all day, and plenty of play time. We think he may just be a bit spoiled due to this. He does have 2 kongs and I tried cheese whiz and peanut butter in them and he really is not that interested. He much prefers to play fetch with his squeaky toys or training games with treats. :)

If it continues or I notice anything else, we will bring him in to be checked for diabetes, but praying this is not the case. This is our first puppy/dog we have ever had, so we are on a learning curve. Yes, he did enjoy the beach quite a bit in Massachusetts. They allow dogs on them and he had many friends to play with and lots of cooing from other beachgoers since he is a pup; not to mention rolling in seaweed on the bay side as one of his other favorite pastimes. :D

(We had to bathe him in order to be able to sleep in the same room as him he smelled so bad- lol)

Once again, thanks for the welcome and the compliments about Willie. We are really enjoying him, albeit the whimpering. Shih Tzu's are most amusing companions. Your furbaby pictures are all adorable. I will be back again with questions again, I am sure.