• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mr.coffee

• Shredder

• xr4man

• Seastar

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm floored... I may have found Ozzy a furever home! I don't know if I dare to get my hopes up, but...Francie, the singer/songwriter I've been playing with for about six months or so, her moth

Been thinking a lot about Ozzy the last few days. It's hard to believe I've been in Houston nearly three years already, and he's still there at Dag's. Re-reading the whole thread has me thinking aga

OMG...I read this whole thread from beginning to end and I am bawling my eyes out....so heart wrenching and I wish I had the means myself to take him home and care for him :'( Please keep us updated o

Carolina Girl

Ohhhh, Mike, he is just too cute. He has an adorable little face! I know that you are putting a lot of thought in this. Either way, I know that you are going to make the right choice!

He's precious!

mr.coffee

Well, Saturday went well. The best moment had to be both boys dozing under my chair at the desk! He doesn't come off as a real high maintenance kind of guy, despite his problems.

Shannon, as much as she likes him, is still not convinced, so next weekend I want to bring him around longer while she's here.

-m

Holding my breath! It's sure not easy. Just keep going to visit him, he needs that and it makes him happy.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so what happened? Did you get him? I'm on pins and needles here! :jump:

mr.coffee

Sorry to keep y'all in suspense. We haven't made any moves yet, I still visit Ozzy every weekend and we're very fond of each other but we're still waiting to make the big decision. I promise, as soon as we make the call, y'all will hear all about it!

-m

mileysmom

Com'mon mike!!! Give us his stories at least!

mr.coffee

LOL! Not much to tell, when I visit him at Dag's we pretty much just chill on the couch...he certainly get's excited when I walk in, he starts bouncing up and down on his front legs and barking at me. His bark is neat, it's kind of soft. When it's time for me to go, he protests and gives me The Look. It's that face he makes that could sway the devil himself...

When we sit on the couch, he licks my arms. Not sure why.

-m

mileysmom

Well we can tell he loves you! He sure is head over heels. But its a good thing your Taking time to think about it.

• 2 weeks later...
mr.coffee

Well, I stepped up the Houston job hunt, and we're hoping to make our move by the end of the month. When we're ready to go, we'll make the final call - I think that call will be bringing Oz home to move with us, but Shannon is still on the fence. She loves him, but I think she has concerns about his issues, which I understand.

-m

• 1 month later...
mr.coffee

Well, it's been a while since I posted any updates.

It was a hard call to make, but we've chosen not to bring Ozzy home. I really love him to death, and Shannon is fond of him as well, but we have to base our decision on more than affection alone. The reality is, we're both busy people - we both work full time, we run a lot, doing errands, visiting friends, getting out and about, eating out, now riding, etc. We're home enough to take care of Harley, spend quality time with him, meet his needs, and so on, but he's not a "special needs" dog. Ozzy is different. He needs a home with someone who can be there for him full time, 24-7/365. To bring him home wouldn't be fair to him if we couldn't fulfill that commitment.

So, I still visit Ozzy every weekend or two, but they know that we aren't going to adopt. I was afraid the folks at Dag's would look at me differently after I told them, but it seems like they respect me more for making the right decision and not just the selfish or impulsive one. I hope he gets a furever home with a kind and loving family, he will be a wonderful pet and friend to the right people. He has such a big heart, he's gentle, outgoing, trusting, assertive, eager to please, he deserves the best and I truly hope he finds it.

Maybe, if our situation were to change and Shannon could stay home, we could reevaluate. For now...

-m

Mike, under the circumstances, you made the right decision. Thank you so much for letting us know the outcome. Since you say you will be visiting him once in awhile, maybe you could post how he's getting along ???...and of course pics if you have them ...

that's sort of the decision i was expecting that you would have to make mike. sometimes a person just has to realize they can't save all the little doggies out there. and you have already done your share.

before i got hunter i saw a pekingese on petfinder that was in a cart. i wanted so bad to be able to get him and take care of him, but realized that with my work schedule and the stairs in the house, that it would not be a good idea.

much respect to you for making a hard but proper decision.

mileysmom

I respect you mike. You have made te right decision for your family and him.

But it would be nice to get updates about him while he's still there.

• 2 months later...
mr.coffee

Yeah, I haven't seen Ozzy in a few weeks. Last I saw him, he was doing well.

If, and this is a big if, my move to Houston leads to a financial position where Shannon can stay home all day, we may reconsider bringing Oz home. That will depend on her and our home. He has a bit of a tendency to leave a snail trail, and our current place is carpeted - not a good combination. We're tied into a 12 month lease, so it would be at least another year before that changes. I truly hope he's got a furever home with a loving family by then.

So...that's where it is. For now.

I'm still FB friends with most of the Dag's House crew, and I'm sure if anything changes with him, they'll let me know!

-m

luvmybabies

I know there are a lot of ifs for Ozzy to come to you but there is a solution for the snail trail anyway...belly bands lined with Poise pads (for human incontinence). I use them when the whole crew comes into our carpeted living room.

• 1 month later...
mr.coffee

Well, we drove into New Orleans last night for the holiday. Today, we stopped in at Dag's to visit little Oz & the crew. I'm glad we did! He's doing well in general; they're trying some new things with him. They retook x-rays, and think they may be able to get him using his legs. He's getting some sort of electro-stimulation, pulse wave or some such. Stacy showed me video, and even with the muscle loss, he was lifting up and pressing with his little hind feet! It makes me glad we didn't move on taking him in, he might've missed out on this wonderful opportunity.

Of course, we got our cuddles in! :) I made Stacy promise to send me more frequent updates.

I'll upload a pic later.

Edit: here's Ozzy with Devon.

lScb.jpg

-m