Adopting a second dog

MissMolly

Maybe a crazy question. We (my husband and I) adopted Molly from a shelter in October 2010. She was picked up as a stray. They believe she is 1-2 yrs old. She is wonderful, finally housetrained etc. The one thing we are dealing with on a daily basis is she has severe separation anxiety. but only when my husband is not here. I have tried kongs, which she loves, but she will not look at them when he is gone. As soon as he returns off she goes to get the kong!

Anyway, she loves all animals loves to play with them etc. I was wondering if adding another dog would be crazy at this stage. My husband says no, it would be too hard to travel etc. and then in the next breath I hear him telling Molly that she needs a playmate.

If the answer is no, which I believe it probably is, I have to STAY OFF petfinder. Look who I found

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19654978 or

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19585335

So any suggestions? thanks

loewenthal.anna

I would think of a new addition as a separate thing. yes, maybe having a buddy will help Molly's anxiety but it may not, and I don't want you or your husband to go into this with expectations of how this addition will help or hurt Molly, because you never know. If you, as the owners, feel ready to open your house to another dog, I say go for it! Molly will adjust either way, and so long as you don't allow it, she's not going to teach any bad behaviors to the new guy. But be prepared that with rescue, this new dog might have it's own collection of issues, and are you going to feel overwhelmed dealing with Molly's anxiety AND another dogs problems? That's for you to decide.

In the mean time, I would begin working with Molly on her anxiety. Have you talked to your vet about D.A.P? There are plenty of training methods to help overcome inappropriate attachment to an owner and zillions of books on the subject (I would recommend Patrician McConnel's thin volume, you can find it on Amazon) and figure out what works for your family. Bottom line being, you want to discourage the behavior at all costs. Show her through avoidance and body language that you think that behavior is TOTALLY lame and you're grossed out by her insecurity and she'll begin to get it. It's a tough, but crazy common problem.

That way, whether or not you get a new puppy is just about the awesomeness of adopting another dog, and not about "fixing" or "helping" Molly.

Just my 2 cents :)

MissMolly

Thank you for the reply. I have just bought a bunch of books (not the one you suggested, must have missed it)

Don't Leave Me - Separation Anxiety by Nicole Wilde

The Dog Whisperer by Paul Owens

Do Over Dogs by Pat Miller

I will look into DAP and the book you mentioned

Just wanted to add that I realize rescues come with problems (dealing with Molly) but we are not in a position to deal with a puppy, although that might be easier!

Edited by MissMolly
Carolina Girl

First of all, I have to say that I think rescue is a wonderful thing! I have 2 rescues and 1 that I got from a breeder as a puppy. My puppy was way easier than dealing with the 2 adults who had gotten "set in their ways". We are still working through their issues.

I'm with Anna in that you should not get another thinking that it would/could help the other's issues. If you just want another dog, then go for it. But I just have to say that it can be very stressful having 2 dogs with 2 different behaviorial issues. You may want to consider a puppy (which could also be from rescue). That way, you can train it just the way you want!

Good luck in your decision....

MissMolly

Now that I am older (and hopefully wiser!) if I get another dog I really think that I would go with a rescue again. Even though Molly is still a work in progress she has come a long way. When my husband saw her picture on petfinder in that little cage, he said if we get another dog she WILL be the one. Went to meet her and he fell in love!

I don't know why I never thought of a puppy from rescue. Maybe because you don't see them that often and competition seems to be nuts when it comes to puppies.

Thanks for your thoughts. They are really appreciated.

loewenthal.anna

I would contact Shih-Tzu breed rescue, or a toy breed rescue, they tend to get the most "variety" as far as dogs are concerned and because they do more in the way of screening (they generally don't take aggressive dogs, or dogs that are not dog friendly) they will have a far better idea of what you are looking for and be able to match you up with the right one for you.

Also, I know that many breeders worth their salt take back dogs if the situation changes and they can't stay with their families. Those dogs are often well bred, well socialized, and simply need someone to pick up where the other family left off and can be anywhere from an older puppy, to an adult. Breeders who do this tend to also screen their adoptive homes the first go around so you can be more confident that the dog isn't coming to you with a basket of issues. It might be worth it to look into, just to see if perhaps there is a dog in that avenue who needs a home. That's the main point, whichever route you go, the dog needs a home and you are giving them the second chance they deserve. Of course you want to be a scrupulous with finding one of these breeders as you would be if you were buying a puppy, just because they take their dogs back does not guarantee they are respectable.

MissMolly

One more quick question. Sorry. I was told by a trainer that since Molly is a female that if I wanted another dog I should get a dog a little younger, same size and a Male. Anyone know if this is true. For some reason my husband feels that the females are easier (housebreaking etc) but the trainer did not seem to think I should get another female.

MissMolly

Is it OK to mention a rescue group in this forum? If so I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of a certain group that seems to have lots of shih tzus to adopt.

loewenthal.anna

boys and boys, or girls and boys do tend to get along easier right off the bat but with the right personalities, two girls can do very well together. I could go on and on about the merits of boy shih tzu (mines INTACT, almost 3, and NEVER had an accident in the house) but ultimately, it's your choice.

Let us know how it works out!

MissMolly

I could go on and on about the merits of boy shih tzu

Oh pretty please :) Just give me some merits. I would love to know what you think the differences are.

Edited by MissMolly
loewenthal.anna

My males, of BOTH breeds are far more easy going, they don't get moody the way the girls do, and they are very reliable in their personality. "Even keeled" would be an awesome description. In that same vein, my boys are more submissive and more affectionate (since they don't get moody)

Not that I don't ADORE our girls (and we have FOUR!) but I never find myself worrying about the boys the way I do the ladies. I can walk either Doctore or Money into a new situation and count on their taking it in stride, where the girls are hit or miss depending how it strikes their fancy.

In my experience boys don't test limits the way that girls do, in general they don't "rock the boat"

Of course every dog is different but I think so long as you make a list of the traits you hope to find, and then (and this is KEY) TRUST THE RESCUE/BREEDER TO PICK A DOG THAT FITS YOUR EXISTING LIFESTYLE you'll do fine regardless of sex. Getting a new dog is all about having realistic expectations of what you want out of the relationship. Getting a dog "to make you go running more" will only frustrate you, and the energetic dog you got when you spend all weekend on the couch. Whereas a marathon runner may genuinely need a dog who can keep up. . . in both scenarios the same kind of dog is adopted, but in only one are both the dog and the owner happy. Does that make sense?

MissMolly

All makes sense. Thanks Lots of thinking to do but not right now. Molly is ill. I think I will post a new thread to see if anyone knows what I am dealing with. Thank you for chatting with me!

ShihtzuBeauty

Is it OK to mention a rescue group in this forum? If so I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of a certain group that seems to have lots of shih tzus to adopt.

Yes :)

MissMolly

I keep looking at Shih Tzu and Furbaby Rescue. They have so Many babies looking for homes and they are all in fosters. Anyone have any experience with them?

loewenthal.anna

Could you post a link? I know a lot of us here have and do work in rescue and I'm sure we could help you figure out if they are reputable.

There's an awesome article on this subject in this months dog magazine, it goes over what to look for in a rescue (relationship with a vet, 501 c standing, inspection reports, application, etc) I'll see if I can find it online and get a link.

I have over the past two years become all too aware of the fact that" rescue" is not always synonamous with "good guys" so I for one would be happy to help you figure out if this rescue is the right one for you. :)

Hope Molly is feeling better!

MissMolly

Honey and Dallas are my favorites! But i am not getting another dog now. (am not, am not am not) Did I convince myself yet? :)