Chihuahuas

So I'm pulling at strings here, but would anyone be interested in adopting an older female chihuahua? I had to go buy a book for school today and Petland is nearby so I decided to go play with some expensive puppy mill puppies that I would never buy. I had no idea that they would have two adorable ex-breeders for adoption in their "adoption center". I would like to adopt one, but two is pushing it and I couldn't take one and leave the other :cheer: I left them both there, but this has been bothering me all day. Here's a little info on the ladies:

Gracie-Red/white (I think...she's basically brown, not sure the exact name for her color), 9 years and super chunky lol. She probably needs to lose a good 4 lbs. She was extremely sweet and just sat on my lap wagging her tail. I think she was just happy to be out of the cage...they are on grated floors and her nipples and feet kept getting stuck in it :dede:

Luna (probably the one I would keep)- Blue/tan, 6 years, ~5lbs. This one is crazy! She never stopped moving, and in her cage she really enjoys looking at people in the back through her "peep hole". Also really loving, but can't sit still very long...too much going on!

Both of these girls need dentals, vaccinations and to be spayed. I can have them examined and vaccinated at work, and probably spayed because they come with $75 spay vouchers. I just can't afford dentals for both of them though. (Emi just had one and Eloise is about to get one).

Please please please if you are interested or know anyone that would provide a loving home let me know soon so I can get them out! I am willing to drive up to 10 hours to meet.

tzukeeper

Girl you have such a big heart :cheer: I'm guessing you ventured into the Petland at Town Center. I do that on occassion and have seen the ex-breeders that they offer for free. I know more about where these dogs come from than I can say on the open board. I will say though that I am at least glad they are being offered for adoption. Their fate could be much worse. I have lots of hope for these babies.

Yes! I was unaware of that they offered ex-breeders, though they are $99 which I think is ridiculous for a 9 year old dog with no vet care.

tzukeeper

I didn't know he was charging for them now. In the past they have been free. You can find the puppies they breed offered through their personal website and in the AJC. It's a family business with far reaching arms. There is little if any concern for the animals in their care and that they sell :cheer:

Too depressing :cheer: Would you mind sending me the link to the website? Now that I know about this I won't be going back to Petland for my puppy fix (would never get a puppy from them, that's why I go-no temptation). I also never buy anything while I'm in the store, it just sucks that I got attached to those two girls. It's taking everything I have not to go back today and get them.

tzukeeper

Don't stop telling people about these babies. People will probably never stop buying pups at a pet store and hopefully someone shopping for a pup will see these girls and want them instead of the cute puppies. I will send you the link to the website and tell you a bit about the folks involved :cheer:

loewenthal.anna

I for one, would walk away. It sounds heartless, but that money (however negligible) and that freed space and commitment for them will ONLY ever go back into producing more puppies that as you said, you would "never buy".

This is my main problem with rescues that "take in" old/sick/used up puppy mill dogs without going through the long process of shutting the place down: They aren't actually helping anyone but that breeder. With 1 less mouth to feed, and a few dollars in their pocket you can count on them reallocating those resources into MORE poorly bred litters, and not on the well-being of those they already have.

These arrangements save the breeder the "discomfort" of having to deal with the ugly ramifications of what they do.

I for one, would walk away. It sounds heartless, but that money (however negligible) and that freed space and commitment for them will ONLY ever go back into producing more puppies that as you said, you would "never buy".

This is my main problem with rescues that "take in" old/sick/used up puppy mill dogs without going through the long process of shutting the place down: They aren't actually helping anyone but that breeder. With 1 less mouth to feed, and a few dollars in their pocket you can count on them reallocating those resources into MORE poorly bred litters, and not on the well-being of those they already have.

These arrangements save the breeder the "discomfort" of having to deal with the ugly ramifications of what they do.

Yeh but the pups do deserve a good home. My Haley was a rescue dog. She was not in good shape when I got her except with the exception of being fed good. Her teeth were in horrible shape & she had heart worms (which I did not know about at the time) but she was a beautiful dog with a beautiful personality. I was about to pick another dog but she kept pulling at my heart so I knew it was meant to be because I truely believe everything happens for a reason. She just recently passed away. I had almost 7 years with her and she was the best dog ever. I don't regret getting her one bit. Thank goodness I had the money to get her dentals, heartworm treatment which was expensive and everything else to get her healthy and happy again. Would I do it again (who knows) the money at the time was not a problem but everything she had to go through with did upset me. I guess if I saw another one that pulled at my heart and I had the money to try to give them the best life/vet care possible for the remainder of the time they had left I would do it again. I miss my Haley Joanne terribly. RIP sweet girl. :debbi:

Edited by mel
tinypinkkissess

Once in awhile on the radio, I used to hear infuriating :debbi: commercials for a Petland, that offered a credit line to purchase puppies at their store..Even though they do gauge on price, if a person can't afford to purchase a puppy, without essentially "charging it", then how will they afford to care for it..Chances are with a puppy mill puppy, costly medical issues will arise..It's a sad, sick cycle all to make a buck at the expense of poor innocent animals..Even though it's heartbreaking to see those poor souls, purchasing anything from Petland, just personally contributes to the sad, sick, cycle of pups being used and abused

loewenthal.anna

Mel, I would NEVER talk someone out of a shelter dog, or adoption in general but in these specific situations where the adoption fee is going directly to the source of the problem is different. Of course your girl was worth it! Of course people should want to make a dogs life better! But, we should in the same thought be committing to looking for those dogs in need at our local shelters, and NOT with a corporation founded on animal mistreatment.

"Saving" a puppymill dog is only hurting the rest of those dogs at the facility if it means putting money or free space back into the program. I hear variations on this all the time where folks just "couldn't walk away" .. . My plea is for people to make the call, blow the wistle, and to help those dogs in a larger and more meaningful way. You can start by calling the BBB, the USDA, or even your local animal shelter. If you're so inclined, do some research and find a watchdog group in your area (there is usually at least one around all petland locations) and ask how you can help. Or, simply call the shelters in your area and offer to foster senior and special-needs dogs. Any of those things does more for our dogs than buying anything from a pet store.

Anna is correct. Although we are all horrified by the puppy mills, any time we "save" a puppymill dog directly from the source we contribute to the problem rather than eradicating it. Point of fact, the ONLY way to end the puppy mills will be to sacrifice a couple of generations of those puppies: saying "they deserve good homes" is true, but as long as people PURCHASE them, it merely enriches the puppymiller and makes way for more puppies.

I didn't want this to turn into a puppy mill debate, I think we all agree they shouldn't be supported. However, I don't think that taking two dogs out of their "adoption" cages is helping them very much. It WOULD be helping those two dogs a lot, they deserve to live the rest of their lives in a good home where they can just enjoy being dogs...I hope they get that. I didn't go into Petland with the idea to go "rescue" puppy mill breeders, I didn't even know they had them there and now that I do know I don't intend to go back. I'm not stupid or naive. I understand the cycle and I don't think it's ever going to stop. So forgive me if I made the mistake of bonding with "puppy mill dogs", one of which reminded me so much of Gypsy (the dog I lost in January-best dog ever).

P.S. I've been awake for almost 36 hours...I hope this post doesn't come off rude, it's not meant to.

loewenthal.anna

Ashleigh, not rude at all! I think we all can understand your desire to help I just wanted to give other, more global suggestions for helping not just those two, but ALL the dogs at that facility. If you really want to help those two I would contact a rescue in your area that has a history of taking on puppy mills (again, with a petland near you, there should be at least one) and see if they have any experience with pulling dogs from Petland. A rescue worth their salt will NOT pay for puppymill dogs, and WILL take the important steps to making the USDA aware of the situation via getting the dogs examined before they take them, and sending all medical findings (bonus if the dogs are thin, ill, or obviously mistreated, as awful as that sounds because it paints a better picture of the peril not only of those dogs, but of EVERY dog at that facility and will make it harder for the USDA NOT to act) to the proper authority so a report can be filed.

Every single one of those reports, no matter how small on their own, are an important step to making changes. Any one individual fighting the mills may not see results and may feel overwhelmed and discouraged but every little bit counts. If folks in your area make a big enough fuss, file enough reports, write enough letters, it will be impossible to ignore the issue and change WILL happen.

Stopping puppy mills won't happen with broad legislation, or by simply ignoring the issue by not buying from them (although that's a great start!) it's brought about by individual leg work and the more people who are as moved as you were by these dogs plight, but willing to FIGHT in the proper channels, the better chance we have for a mill-free future. We can't change the hurt that's already been done, and as Pam illuminated, we cannot prevent all the casualties, but we ABSOLUTELY can change the outcome for the next generation of dogs. All those dogs need are people willing to log the man hours to fight for them.

I know that it seems silly that I'm so very against putting even $200 in Petland's pocket versus the enormous improvement for those two dogs but think about it globally: how many Petlands are there? And how many dogs do they "adopt out" when they've used them up? How many thousands of dollars does that equal over 6 months? A year? Five years? Just as every drop in the bucket toward STOPPING Petland makes a difference, so too does every dollar TOWARD their cause. You have been presented with an amazing opportunity to make a difference for THOUSANDS of Chihuahuas, why settle for helping just two?

But that's it from me, I'll leave it at that. Know that I'm not at all judging your decision, or future decisions . . . I'm just hoping to open your eyes, and they eyes of everyone on this board that the IS more we can do to help. And better ways to get our message across. Whatever you ultimately do is your choice and yours alone, and at my core I support anyone willing to take on a rescue, regardless of circumstance.