THE piddle pad question!

loewenthal.anna

Reusable, or disposable?

We are making the switch to reusable/washable after living with 3 "Pooch Pads" (found at Petco/ Petsmart) for the last month or so and feeling them out. Let me say this: WOW! What a difference! They last SOO much longer than disposables, not just because they are more absorbent (like 6-7 TIMES more absorbent), but because they are heavier and the kiddos don't really mess with them. The washing really isn't that gross either, solids get picked up regularly with paper, and we use hot water in the wash plus or minus the "sanitary cycle" (which we use if they must must must go in with other less "offensive" dog laundry like drool rags, bedding, or toys.) I'll put it this way: I have a few friends who do cloth diapers for their babies and I am SERIOUSLY skeeved out by that process, while the poochpads is no biggie for me. So, we're upgrading! Soon! I hope :congrats:

Now, those who know me will know that I do NOT just "buy things". . . I price shop. Ad nauseum. And that part of me died a little when I bought the 3 poochpads for nearly $30 ON SALE. So, I'm looking for a better option. After 6 years of owning piddle-pad dogs, I only just got my disposable bill down to less than $20/month and my goal for the washable pads is no more that $6/pad (+/-) with shipping. Can anyone help me out? I have graduated to looking at medical supply websites -- which honestly, I embarrassed I didn't think of earlier since that's where we've been buying our disposables for MONTHS! -- and so far there's a split between sites with free shipping that charge $15/pad, and those with extra freight costs that only charge $4.50/pad OR, sites that offer crazy quantity discounts but only if you buy more that 25 pads. I think I need to just bite the bullet and go with someone, but I thought I'd check here and see if anyone had the scoop on where to buy first. :)

My guess is that I need 6-10 more to really go full-time with them, especially since Blues is separated and Lolly/ Cash/ Effie spend 2 days a week using ONLY a pad for 10 hours of the day.

JasperandAkira'smom

I never knew they had reusable pads. I did have mine on disposable pads but when they got older they would just tear them up. So my hubby and I use scrabs from vinyl floors. We have a friend that has rentals and when he replaces the flooring we get the scraps. Our dogs stay in the kitchen when we are not home and we lay a scrap piece at the doorway to outside and the doorway to the dinning room and that is where they go if they need to use the restroom and we are not there to take them out. We just clean it with OdoBan we get from Sams Club and if they get dirty underneath (which rarly happends) we change the scrap. This saves us lots of $$$$.

I always use disposable for puppies, but I do have the tearing-up problem when they get older. I might buy a pack of the washable ones this time, if I keep a puppy. Will see how you like them.

loewenthal.anna

Well, I do LOVE the washable ones we have, I'm just looking to be a bit more economical with them. Blues' breeder turne us on to the EZ Whelp website, which sells "refurbished" used pads at a pretty good price and we may just go with that, since a recomendadtion from someone with that many Tzu in the house full time semms like it's probably worth it's weight in gold.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had found sites that they like who carry the washable pads.

I have been looking for them too, thanks for sharing, let us know which one was the best price to go with.

This is a site that I went with this time, http://www.ezwhelp.com/

also was a link at; http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp?ga=...=whelping+boxes

Edited by MaryBebo

Okay, I just ordered 6 of the new ones from ezwhelp. Good price, but shipping added another 50%.

Not me, but I potty trained Dhani using a cat litter box with real turf in it, as we were on a boat for 3 weeks when he was a baby. It worked very well.

I've been using the washable ones for years and love them. I buy from this site http://www.personallypaws.com/onlinestore/. I check out the clearance ones, and she usually has a good deal once in awhile that makes it worth it. I've bought twice now and they are still going strong, some are 3 or 4 years old, so I really got my money's worth. I wash them with detergent and a tiny bit of bleach and add vinegar to the rinse cycle to get rid of the bleach smell and either hang them on the line or use the dryer. I've saved soooo much money over the years over the disposable ones. I'm interested to see if there's better deals out there.

loewenthal.anna

reusable bedpads

This is the site I went with. The pads are larger than I need (does anyone know if you can cut them?? These 24X35 pads halved would be a PERFECT 17X24 piddle pad, if that's possible!) but we'll make it work. I spent something like $40 for 3 pads each 24X35" and got FREE shipping (so, avoided all that freight business with many of the other sites)

I'll let you guys know what they're like when they arrive, but I imagine they are very similar (same materials) as the Pooch Pads we already have and if I can split them, it will have cost me $40 for 6 pads outright, which is the best deal I've found short of buying a full case of 24 or more pads.

loewenthal.anna

I lied: The BEST deal is EZ Whelp REFURBISHED pads . . . just ordered 9 (NINE!!!) 30x32" pads with "minor staining" for $43.00 on the advice of Blues' breeder who says she's has the refurbished ones for YEARS without needing to replace them. Glad she e-mailed before I finalized my order with the other place! Haha :)

mileysmom

Thats great news Anna!

ShihtzuBeauty

I've thought about this too since all 4 of mine use disposable for the majority of the time But I'm not sure I can bring myself to wash them in the washer that I put my clothes and towels etc..in I have thought about going to the laundry matt w/them. We will generally go through a 50 count box of disposable pads w/in 1 1/2wks. or just under.

chloechanel'smommy

I've thought about this too since all 4 of mine use disposable for the majority of the time But I'm not sure I can bring myself to wash them in the washer that I put my clothes and towels etc..in I have thought about going to the laundry matt w/them. We will generally go through a 50 count box of disposable pads w/in 1 1/2wks. or just under.

Two of mine use a piddle pad and I have also thought of switching to reusable ones but haven't for the same exact reason.

I lied: The BEST deal is EZ Whelp REFURBISHED pads . . . just ordered 9 (NINE!!!) 30x32" pads with "minor staining" for $43.00 on the advice of Blues' breeder who says she's has the refurbished ones for YEARS without needing to replace them. Glad she e-mailed before I finalized my order with the other place! Haha :)

Those are the ones I ordered too. :P

loewenthal.anna

For those wonering: shipping of the refurbished pads seems to be flat rate of $11.50, it was the same if I ordered 3 or 9 so I figured this was a more is more situation :)

luvmybabies

Just to throw this into the mix.....I years ago ordered a roll of these. They are called pish pads and are positively great. I know the price is a bit much but they are worth. Link is: Pish Pads

Also here is a link to a place that sells Anna's Pooch Pads. They are on sale as they are closing out of them. I ordered the medium to try. The small ones were $14.75 and are on sale for $8.75. Pooch Pads

If you use disposable pee pads any of these pads are economical when you just think how much you spend on them. You would have them paying for themselves in short order. I think I'll drag out my pish pads and try the pooch pads and see how they work.

Edited by luvmybabies

My order came in and I just have to say they are just what I needed! They were the Refurbished ones and they looked Great!

luvmybabies

Found another pee pad AND belly band place to order from. The pee pads are pretty big and for a smaller price than the pish pads. I have ordered three of them to try. Will get back to you when I get them. I ordered 8 (various sizes) of the belly bands from POCOs to try and after I see how I like them I'm going to try some of her belly bands too. The link is: Pee pads and belly pands

It really helps when we all get on a subject and can give links etc. for other forum members to check out as we no doubt are all looking for our own version of what fits our individual needs.

FairyTail Josette

Melissa, I have thought about this issue too. A friend of mine purchased this portable machine just for this purpose. She said, it works great. Just a thought...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/178-6...gt_adv_XSG10001

Otherwise, I think one could run an empty cycle of hot water and bleach through the washing machine after washing piddle pads to disinfect the tub.

Found another pee pad AND belly band place to order from. The pee pads are pretty big and for a smaller price than the pish pads. I have ordered three of them to try. Will get back to you when I get them. I ordered 8 (various sizes) of the belly bands from POCOs to try and after I see how I like them I'm going to try some of her belly bands too. The link is: Pee pads and belly pands

It really helps when we all get on a subject and can give links etc. for other forum members to check out as we no doubt are all looking for our own version of what fits our individual needs.

Joyce, these are the thickest and most absorbent piddle pads I've seen. I always think about the tracking issue too when the pad isn't absorbent enough. Thanks for sharing.

loewenthal.anna

Well, our pads arrived while we were in Kansas these past few days and they are GREAT! We ordered from EZ whelp (linked above) and got the "refurbished pads" in the category "staining: dark or less" with "negligible" listed under the other damage categories. They were $3.45 per 30x32" pad and shipping was $11.50 for under $50, and $9.50 for $50 - $150, and so on. If you get a truly huge order (or, all new pads, which will get you to the price point sooner), say to split amongst friends who need them there is a price category that has free shipping. That just didn't seem viable for us and really, $10 isn't bad for freight.

Upon arrival the pads are, as I imagined, refurbished from the human side of things (some of ours cam monogramed with names and dates of the hospital patient they were meant for, which I thought was kind of cool!) so the "staining" is not urine of feces, but small blood stains, if anything. I think we ended up with 3-4 with blood stains (small ones) and the rest looked like they were in perfect condition. Other than the stains, all the pads smelled strongly of bleach and were carefully folded and packed into the box so I am VERY pleased with the care and consideration EZ whelp paid to our order.

I don't think we'll ever be looking back!

• 3 weeks later...
luvmybabies

I finally got my pee pads and belly bands from Blue Sky YorkiesThey are very well made and thick! The size of the pads are big too (about 30" square or so). She makes them out of very absorbent fabric that she sews over human pads that hospitals use....no tracking from wet feet! My guys seem to love them and so far I haven't had one pee at the edge and it "leaks" on the floor under the pad which was happening all the time with the disposable ones....very annoying! Her belly bands are very well made too. I also ordered some belly bands from Pocos Belly Bands They too were very well made. These pads and bands look like they will last for some time and are a hundred times better than store bought ones. They both have lots of fabric choices so they look good on the floor (pads) and the bands are almost like fashionable clothes. I have all four dogs in them and we can always be together as they now have free run of the house and I don't have to deal with marking.

I ordered two "all silk" belly bands for Benji to take to shows. They have a buckle closure as I thought if I got his hair caught in the velcro it would make a mess. Silk is not supposed to mat or tangle his hair. When i put a regular band on him i am very careful, but i have time to deal with mats at home. When he wears the belly band the Poise incontinence pad wicks away any urine and he stays much cleaner so i don't have to wash his belly or back paws so much. They haven't arrived yet so will reserve judgement on them.Buckled Silk Belly Bands I also found another site that has a "cup like" piece of fabric for his equipment and you place a pad in it. There are straps attached to the cup that attach around his belly like a regular band and fasten with Velcro. This sounds really different and I will eventually will order one to try for Benji and Majic (my little malt) as they claim they are a "must" for long haired dogs Kennel Komforts

I ordered some medium Pooch Pads like Anna bought at the pet store. This site was going out of them so they were on sale for about $7 off but the sizing is limited. I got a 2 pack in the medium for $20 and they too look fairly nice and absorb very well. So I ordered three more 2 packs while they were on sale as I felt they were worth it. The site for them is: Pet Expertise. I also ordered three more of the nice big ones from Blue Sky Yorkies as they are so big they accommodate more than one of my dogs. I got my Manners Minder at Pet Expertise too and it also was on sale. Link to it is: Manners Minder. It is a treat dispensing machine. I've started Benji on obedience and rally training with it but it is also used to correct bad behaviour like jumping on people and being aggressive at the door when visitors come. Check it out if you want to deal with these problems in an easy way. Benji gets every meal dispensed with this machine so his treats are his kibble so he doesn't get fat which is a problem when training small dogs with treats over and above their regular food. He started out being afraid of it and now he will do anything to get it to dispense!

Edited by luvmybabies
loewenthal.anna

Just thought I would update now, almost a month after getting out pads:

WE LOOOOOOOVE THEM!!!!!

We have been 100% reusable pads since that day they arrived and have had (much to my surpise, actually) a SHOCKING decrease in the number of off-pad accidents in the house since! I was worried because they are not "scented" like the disposables but our guys, even the very young ones, seem to know exactly what to do with them AND seem to be more inclined to use them versus the beds strew about the kitchen. I was having to wash beds 2-3 times a week because *someone* would mistake a bed for a pad, and had actually take all the beds out of the kitchen (where they are baby gated during the day) to cut down on laundry -- now we have 3 beds in there, and one pad (which is maybe 30x30 inches? and everyone shares beautifully!

As for construction: The pads we got are a mixed bag, since we opted for the used ones. Some are thicker than others, some slightly larger, and some with different topper materials but ALL have been 100% leak proof and chew proof!

We have found that for 4 dogs each pad (when picking up solid waste 2-3 times a day) lasts for about 2 days before needing to be changed so, with the 15 we purchased, we could conceivably go a full 30 days without needing to do a load. We have 9 dogs in the house so doing "dog laundry" is already a part of our lives and we've been able to wash 4-5 pads, a bed or two, the miscellaneous toy, and some towels in a regular, or even "speedy" wash cycle with only Gain and some Borax and have them come out looking and smelling clean. THAT has been my real test, as I worried the pads would stink up the washer, or the other items in the wash with them, or require multiple washes (like reusable baby diapers) in order to be clean -- not the case!

Overall I would give these 5 stars for ease of use, effectiveness, price, and dog likability. WELL WORTH IT for those of you still on the fence!

luvmybabies

Anna, your experience with dog marking sounds very similar to mine. They even mark toys occasionally! The bed marking though was driving me crazy so they were only allowed three too. All my good expensive ones were piled in the living room behind the chair cause darn it they weren't going to ruin those too with too many washings. Now we are using the belly bands they are roaming the living room and have access to the nice beds which they take full advantage of! I also had trouble with the guys going on the edge of the disposable pads and it leaked under the pad. For some reason that hasn't happened with these reusable pads.

Now for all of you youngsters....When I was raising my kids we only used reusable diapers as there weren't any disposables. We would swish them around in the toilet, wring them out and put them in a diaper pail with some water and a bit of Javex. I know it sounds gross but you did what you had to do! We washed with a wringer washer and you started with the first load really hot and with lots of Javex and in went the diapers. After them the sorted out loads - light colors to dark colors. We didn't change the water for the wash but we would rinse the loads twice in wash tubs. Then you dragged the loads outside and hung them to dry on clothes lines and hoped it didn't rain. No bounce or fabric softener. Sun would sometimes be used to bleach out the stains if you had a nice day. Sun and wind left the clothes smelling wonderful. We all made out just fine. I think nowadays we focus so much on everything being 99.9% germ free that we may actually be not allowing our bodies to strengthen their immune systems. Anyway, the reason for this lecture from old grandma here is we are using the excuse of contaminating our washers that have high temp water choices and extra rinses and that can dispense Javex as an excuse of not washing your dog pads in your washers? As long as you wash the dog stuff separately I have no qualms about washing them in my washer.

JasperandAkira'smom

Joyce what is Javex? I have never heard of this. Is it like bleach?