How often does your adult tzu go?

Rudy is 20 months old. We've been on a strict potty schedule for quite a while and it's worked well but lately, it seems he doesn't always have to "go" much on some of the in-between walks so I am wondering now that's he's older, can he go longer between peeing? I would estimate that we go for walks every 3 to 4 hours but he goes from 8pm to 6:30am overnight.

We take him at:

6:30am (after water and food)

10am

2pm

5:30pm (after water and food, although water is available to him all day)

8pm

For those of you with adult tzu's, how long can he/she hold it?

• Like 1

Ours are walked first thing in the morning, at around 4pm, and again at bedtime, but they often don't go again at bedtime.

Thanks, sounds like I can probably knock out the early afternoon walk and see how he does. I'm going to push his second walk about an hour later too.

Edited by HollynLA
mileysmom

Miley only goes about 3 times a day, unless she asks for another. (sometimes its hot and she drinks a lot of water)

But Buster only goes out twice a day.. thats all he needs. But of course he's a Cartigan(Corgi with a tail) so he's bigger.

JasperandAkira'smom

I take mine out at 5:30am after they eat, 3pm, then at 5:30pm after they eat and again at 9pm before bed. Jasper can hold his for 8 hours, but Akira is smaller and she tends to have to go more often. If I or my hubby are home during the day we take them out every 3 to 4 hours.

baby_love

Oreo's official schedule is first thing after I get up in the morning (before breakfast), around 5-6-7 (before dinner) and right before bed. However, there have been times when I've been sick or unable to get home, and she's had to wait 12 hours, and she's been able to hold it. This little muffin must have a bladder of steel.

Chloe'sMom

Chloe is 4 months, but she has never seemed to have puppy bladder. She goes at

730 am

1130 am

500 pm

10 pm

However, sometimes she and Daddy sleep in until 9 or 10 and miss the morning potty.

I think it depends on size and how much they drink during the day. Our Yorkie is 8-lbs, he loves to drink water and always has to go to the bathroom, at least every 2 hours due to his small size. Patches our Shih Tzu is 2 1/2yrs old and 13-lbs, he tends to have a lot more better control, he can hold it for hours if he has to. The Yorkie belongs to my mother, I selected the Shih Tzu for myself because I was told as long as he was over 12-lbs he should have good bladder control and he does. He gets walked three times a day, morning, afternoon and evening, he also gets let out to the back yard when he ask to go out as well, so he normally doesn't have to wait for his walks.

We wrap them both in tinkle belts before bed time, mainly due to the Yorkie's small bladder. In the morning we take them off and they start their new day. The Yorkie wears his wrap all day and he does wet it so my mother keeps up with keeping him cleaned up. However, my Shih Tzu doesn't wear one during the day because he doesn't soil the house and will ask to go out. My Shih Tzu wrap is always dry when I take it off of him in the morning, so I don't really see a problem with him, he doesn't like to soil where he sleeps and play.

Patches my Shih Tzu also drinks a lot of water before going to bed at night, an entire bowl of water, so it's really surprising his tinkle belt is dry in the morning. I carry him out doors to the back first thing in the morning and he usually lays down, look around, then eventually he'll decide to get up, stretch it out and find a spot to tinkle, so our 13-lb Shih Tzu tends to have a lot of control whereby our 8-lb Yorkie has relatively none.

Thanks so much for all the help. Rudy is a BIG boy at 17 to 18 lbs. We have changed his schedule since I posted this and reduced one of the walks and look to hopefully cut it down one more before he is 2 in November. So now we are going first thing in the morning, 11am, 5pm, and bedtime. He's doing great with this. My dogs always have water available to them but don't drink a whole lot mostly since they are both indoor dogs.

• 8 years later...

I have an almost 8 yr old shi tzu. I take him out in the morning before I go to work (5:30-6:30 am) and my roomate who works from home kindly takes him out around 1ish and then I take him out again when I get home from work around 7pm. Is this ok? Because I go to bed early. He has access to water all day. 

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all the valuable information. It has taken away a lot of our worries. We have a 7 year old Shih Tsu and he goes about 3 times a day and we thought he has a bladder problem. There is always plenty of water for him all day and his bowl is never empty. This explains why he doesn't have to go that often. Our Vet should have told us this in the first place instead of putting him on a special urinary SO diet.  

• Like 2