Ah, my dramatic life as a foster. . .

loewenthal.anna

loewenthal.anna

So, as y'all know I have had this little foster Andy why is a DELIGHTFUL little Mini Schnauzer/ hound mix. I've worked by butt off with him, he came from being born in the snow to one family, to being neglected by a breeder foster home as a young puppy, to be returned by his first forever home, to be in danger of being EUTHANIZED because the rescue didn't have anyone willing to work with him, to me. I've become very protective of this boy because I know how much he's been through, and I know that not everyone out there would be willing to care so much for this guy as I do. But, we've been trying VERY hard for a VERY long time to place him with no success. ZERO applications. He's posted on facebook, on cragslist (daily), in a local adoption circular monthly, and on flyers in ever vet office in town -- still nothing! This boy is 100% reliably house trained and crate trained, knows all his basic obedience -- STILL NOTHING! It's so impossibly frustrating to know that Andy is EASILY the best behaved, easiest dog in my house, and that nobody sees it but us. Nobody is looking, or caring. UGH!

So this past weekend I fast-tracked an application from a client at the clinic for him. I wrote a glowing vet reference and home visit sheet, we spent nearly 2 hours with her and her dog in their home talking and feeling them out as a family, I got on the phone with the entire adoption committee and encouraged them to trust me, that Andy would be staying near by, continuing to come to my clinic, and working with the same trainer and that THIS was the home he was looking for and had gotten as far as them printing up and FAXING her adoption contract this morning (!!!!) . . . only to get a text from the rescue coordinator saying she'd just gotten an email from the adopter saying she'd "changed her mind" and that Andy "is bigger than she thought he'd be, so it won't work out."

Cue the dagger right through my heart

This POOOR DOG!!! Will nobody love him? We turned down THREE families Saturday alone for him because this woman was so interested. . . he went from NOBODY wanting him, to being alone again because the person WE wanted to want him changed her mind! I'm furious with her. She was on my list of progress reports to check on her other dog today at work and I had to give the job to another tech because I wasn't able to pretend I wasn't mad at her. She wasted his time, she wasted MY time, she ruined Andy's chances with THREE other families!! In my book, for the time being, this woman is public enemy #1.

I just needed to rant for a moment. . . there's more to this story (including a new foster who's arriving tomorrow!) but I had to share this part first. My heart breaks for this poor little dog. He wants NOTHING but to make people happy, to be polite, and play well with others and I feel like I am the only one who cares enough to even bother letting him share my space.

Edited by loewenthal.anna
mileysmom

Well I hope that he will have someone come and take him to a wonderful home!

I feel for you, I used to be a foster and it was so difficult. I had to turn down so many people just to get no shows are people who "just didnt think it would work out!"

loewenthal.anna

Here are some pictures of Andy. . . how someone could NOT want this adorable face is beyond me!

may2011163-1.jpg

may2011007.jpg

may2011005.jpg

God, he's PRECIOUS! What is wrong with people?

loewenthal.anna

His cute factor is off the charts (clearly) but really what KILLS me about him is how dang POLITE he is! Not only am I offering [begging] these people to consider a dog who resembles every cute dog in the movies, but I'm offering a dog who's BIGGEST vice is being reluctant to approach new people! Not biting new people, not growling at people, just not really wanting to say hi at first. . . unless they have cookies, or another dog with them, then he LOVES people. And that's his biggest fault.

It's insane!

So, as y'all know I have had this little foster Andy why is a DELIGHTFUL little Mini Schnauzer/ hound mix. I've worked by butt off with him, he came from being born in the snow to one family, to being neglected by a breeder foster home as a young puppy, to be returned by his first forever home, to be in danger of being EUTHANIZED because the rescue didn't have anyone willing to work with him, to me. I've become very protective of this boy because I know how much he's been through, and I know that not everyone out there would be willing to care so much for this guy as I do. But, we've been trying VERY hard for a VERY long time to place him with no success. ZERO applications. He's posted on facebook, on cragslist (daily), in a local adoption circular monthly, and on flyers in ever vet office in town -- still nothing! This boy is 100% reliably house trained and crate trained, knows all his basic obedience -- STILL NOTHING! It's so impossibly frustrating to know that Andy is EASILY the best behaved, easiest dog in my house, and that nobody sees it but us. Nobody is looking, or caring. UGH!

So this past weekend I fast-tracked an application from a client at the clinic for him. I wrote a glowing vet reference and home visit sheet, we spent nearly 2 hours with her and her dog in their home talking and feeling them out as a family, I got on the phone with the entire adoption committee and encouraged them to trust me, that Andy would be staying near by, continuing to come to my clinic, and working with the same trainer and that THIS was the home he was looking for and had gotten as far as them printing up and FAXING her adoption contract this morning (!!!!) . . . only to get a text from the rescue coordinator saying she'd just gotten an email from the adopter saying she'd "changed her mind" and that Andy "is bigger than she thought he'd be, so it won't work out."

Cue the dagger right through my heart

This POOOR DOG!!! Will nobody love him? We turned down THREE families Saturday alone for him because this woman was so interested. . . he went from NOBODY wanting him, to being alone again because the person WE wanted to want him changed her mind! I'm furious with her. She was on my list of progress reports to check on her other dog today at work and I had to give the job to another tech because I wasn't able to pretend I wasn't mad at her. She wasted his time, she wasted MY time, she ruined Andy's chances with THREE other families!! In my book, for the time being, this woman is public enemy #1.

I just needed to rant for a moment. . . there's more to this story (including a new foster who's arriving tomorrow!) but I had to share this part first. My heart breaks for this poor little dog. He wants NOTHING but to make people happy, to be polite, and play well with others and I feel like I am the only one who cares enough to even bother letting him share my space.

I know it hurts. I have a Rat terrier/Italian greyhound mix. I have had him for 4 months. He is fear of people until he gets to know them. I have had 3 people back out on him because he doesn't come running up to them to greet them. I am very protective of Coco too. I too am afraid no one will want him. Good luck.

He is so darn cute!!!!!! He will find a home.

FairyTail Josette

Anna, does your employer, the vet hospital have a mascot? Would that be a possibility for Andy? I saw a miniature poodle at a vet's hospital running around recently. (He was in the back with the employees and not accessible to the public.) They said he was their new mascot. Probably a no go and a silly suggestion, but, just trying to pick my brain for some ideas for Andy.

loewenthal.anna

Anna, does your employer, the vet hospital have a mascot? Would that be a possibility for Andy? I saw a miniature poodle at a vet's hospital running around recently. (He was in the back with the employees and not accessible to the public.) They said he was their new mascot. Probably a no go and a silly suggestion, but, just trying to pick my brain for some ideas for Andy.

We don't have any hospital pets, nor will we. . . according to the boss man that causes more problems than it's worth when it comes to the clients and their pets. I won't lie, it doesn't bother me that there isn't a live-in creature there, it makes it possible for all of us to bring OUR pets in periodically to spend the day :roflmao:

ShihtzuBeauty

Aww I too am a "scruffer" lover :blush-anim-cl: he's Adorable!