HERE'S MAJOR!

loewenthal.anna

loewenthal.anna

We don't have him yet, he's being picked up in Durham as we speak but. . . I thought I'd post a few pictures of him now just the same!

Major was scheduled to be one of the casualties resulting from the large puppy mill bust in Raleigh last Thursday. The Raleigh public shelter system took on 70 (SEVENTY!!!) dogs (mostly Shih-Tzu, Yorkie, and Maltese) as a result of this bust, most of them brood bitches, and was being forced to euthanize everything else in the shelter to make room for these high-profile dogs. Up to 20 of the dogs seized are being held as evidence so they HAVE to stay at the county shelter (evidence dogs cannot go to private rescue until after the potential trial is complete) which spelled out a bad week for all the other puppies at the shelter!

I am currently working with Schnauzer rescue of the Carolinas (SRC) since 7 months ago when they had a Neo in rescue who they graciously allowed me to help place. Andy is also from them and he came to me because he was reported to be "alpha aggressive" and none of their other fosters wanted to deal with him (I do not think terribly highly of many of their other fosters, they seem to expect to be given purebred well adjusted Schnauzers or else they don't want to help. . . more on that later) and now Major, who was pulled from the shelter just before D-day by a foster who has ONLY ever had toy dogs and never puppies. She apparently was overwhelmed by his size and energy, but thought people would be "mad at her" if she didn't take him so she brought him home, stayed with him for 2 hours, called the foster coordinator and told her it 'wasn't going to work out" because he was too "puppy-like and too big", and then LEFT HIM WITH FREE REIGN OF THE HOUSE WHILE SHE WENT OUT FOR DRINKS WITH HER FRIENDS!! -- She then promptly put him in boarding (for $35 a day, on the rescues dime) and told them that if they wanted him, they would need to go get him themselves. . . she's now claiming the rescue OWES her a new couch cushion!!

See what I mean about the other fosters?? UGH!

Anyway, Major was explained to me to be a 40lb American Bulldog puppy and up until I saw these pictures I was PSYCHED because that would mean a playmate for Poe and Doctore! (who both adore puppies, and male dogs) . . . but, these pictures tell a different story. My current feeling is that he is 90% Boston Terrier because of those thin legs, and that he's 1-2 years old (in the pictures, he clearly has all his adult teeth, and the staining on his face says to me that he isn't THAT young because staining on a Boston doesn't generally happen until they finish developing wrinkle on their face) . . . it is possible he's a Boston/ bulldog mix (either English or Frenchie) but I'll need to get hands on him to be sure. Either way, he's ADORABLE, right? The boarding place could not say enough nice things about him, he loves all people, loves all dogs, plays well with others, doesn't have toy or food aggression (!!) I'm so excited! I think he's going to be very easy to place, especially in this area where people seem very fond on the smaller bully type dogs :roflmao:

1324814458_photobucket_37025_.jpg

1324814458_photobucket_37024_.jpg

1324814458_photobucket_37023_.jpg

SRC adopts in NC, SC, VA, TN, and GA so if anyone is interested in this little gem, or KNOWS someone who is, and you/they live in the south eastern US HOLLA! I'd also be HAPPY to take applications on Mr. Andy :mad:

mileysmom

OMG! He is TOO cute! Hes def. Got Boston terrier in him.... But probably most def. got some type of bulldog too. I'm not too great at seperating the two types but you can see it!

loewenthal.anna

Forgot to mention! -- he doesn't respond to "major" and we think the shelter named him 3 days ago so, we're looking for a new name! He's not really a "Major" . . . although we were trying out "Bossy" earlier and that was a cuter match :)

TillyMaeTinkles

Those colors say Boston..but that face is telling me English bull dog with the eyes being far apart, that underbite, and how those ears are perked. I have an ex coworker who has an American Bulldog in those colors who was a little more lean than usual. English bull dog & American? He is a cutie and that puppy dog look in his eyes just melts me.

Edited by TillyMaeTinkles
loewenthal.anna

He's not NEARLY big enough to have American in him (they average over 100lbs and this boy is 42lbs) so we're sticking with English/Boston . . . WITH A TAIL!

He is NOT the dog friendly dog I thought I was getting though, he's very very dominant -- he pees on other dogs, humps them, his lipstick comes out anytime someone else barks, he bullies dogs into the corner. . . I'm giving him the rest of the day today to settle (and Meet Doctore) and if he's Bossy with the big guy we're going to start full-on dominance training. Thank god he got me as a foster though if that's the case! I can't imaging the Schnauzer people being up to that.

He's totally sweet with people though, and ultimately, it may make the most sense to place him with no other dogs, or a much larger submissive dog (like Doctore)

Oh well, they wouldn't end up in rescue if they didn't have SOME issues!

Chloe'sMom

Def a boston! My family has had several over the years... I love them, but they are too hyper for our lifestyle. Some bostons tend to display a little more bulldog than white terrier and can be stockier like your guy.

Love that his tail hasn't been docked!

Chloe's Mama

He's a handsome boy! :blush-anim-cl: I would love to have a Boston someday. I did notice that the vet's wife is now selling boston terrier/pugs aka buggs. She's got 2 puppies, a male and female. I'm tempted, but I don't know that i could take another animal w/ ones I have, along w/ Mom and Mary's girls.

loewenthal.anna

He's a handsome boy! :blush-anim-cl: I would love to have a Boston someday. I did notice that the vet's wife is now selling boston terrier/pugs aka buggs. She's got 2 puppies, a male and female. I'm tempted, but I don't know that i could take another animal w/ ones I have, along w/ Mom and Mary's girls.

Be warned! BOTH breeds are crazy high energy, so if that isn't your lifestyle you will regret the choice.

This boy is actually an english bulldog boston mix, he is 46lbs- waaay too big to even be a heavyweight boston.