Cant stop barking when left / or at night

Hi we are having problems with our oscar, he is now 6 months. We have stopped leaving him in his crate because he wasnt happy. When he went to bed he would not stop barking or banging at cage, he was waking house up.

However we decided to get rid of crate and leave him in the kitchen with his toys. new big basket, cushhion etc. He doesnt use the basket and continuos to bark and scratch at the door. He doesnt need toilet because he has been. It is now 4.45 and he has been barking for the past 45 mins.

We are having this problem any time we leave him. We were so deperate we let him sleep in our bedroom. However he then started to chew things in bedroom, however he was quiet.

We love oscar to bits, he is so loving, and follows us everywhere, no accidents, only occasionly when keft in kitchen, but we can deel with this.

Please can anyone help, he is waking us up and the neighbours must here him. they have 2 small children.

Thanks ;)

Lesley

luvmybabies

I have no high tech solution for you but do have another idea to try. When I brought all of mine home I would put their crate on top of the night table so they could see me. That way you are close to him and he can't chew things. I did this till they were old enough to hold their pee all night and then they moved into the bed with me where they now remain lol. I guess I can't have any more as my bed is getting too crowded!! lol

Fluffalicious

My neighbors have a problem barker - they use Citronella collars . You could use a spray bottle of water - a swift squirt and a firm NO work on mine . Kirsty

JasperandAkira'smom

Mine started doing the same thing at 4 months. They now sleep with us and I allow them to bring a toy on the bed to chew, but the only problem with chewing we had was they would chew the woodwork in the kitchen while we were gone. The crate on the nightstand sounds like a good idea.

chloechanel'smommy

My neighbors have a problem barker - they use Citronella collars . You could use a spray bottle of water - a swift squirt and a firm NO work on mine . Kirsty

When my two get noisy, this is what I do too.

hunter sleeps in his crate next to my bed. if he starts barking i usually roll over in my sleepy daze and stick my fingers through the door. this usually quiets him down. if he keeps at it i will take him out in case he actually needs to pee. then he goes straight back in the crate.

he has a habit of barking constantly at sounds during the day and evening. i tried putting him in the bathroom until he stopped and that worked for a while but now i have moved on to a water gun. that seems to work better so far.

yep i agree do the crate next to the bed. and if barking accurs squirt with water.

• 2 months later...
meganpatricia

I also endorse the citronella collar. My pup only had to bark twice with the collar on before he got the point that it was not barking time when the collar was on. If you feel bad about the pup being spritzed for barking, remember he doesnt feel bad about keeping you up all night!

I also endorse the citronella collar. My pup only had to bark twice with the collar on before he got the point that it was not barking time when the collar was on. If you feel bad about the pup being spritzed for barking, remember he doesnt feel bad about keeping you up all night!

Gotta say, I LOVE this thought!

All mine are crate-trained from baby-hood and I just don' t have problems with barking when they are crated (although Nikki and Kelly have been known to raise quite the ruckus when everyone is out playing). I use the "ten pennies in a pop can" method for crate training. Puppy is put in crate. Puppy starts squalling. Can gets tossed onto crate with a firm "No!". They think the sky is falling and shut up. Repeat as necessary, lol.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for this particular problem. The nightstand often works well, sometimes a citronella collar or spray bottle does the trick. Whatever method you decide on, try it for several times in a row before going to something else.

mr.coffee

I actually got a spray bottle when we moved, Harley wants to sit in the window and yell at every passerby. Problem is, his coat is thick & fluffy, and the water just gets the outside. If he even notices he's been squirted, he just licks it off like a treat!

Fortunately, he's getting better about the other tenants and even the resident squirrels.

-m

GADS....resident squirrels! I would do almost anything to get Emma to stop barking at ours! NOTHING works on this girl! Ugh!!!

Ours have actually given up barking at the squirrels! For the longest time I had every freakin' dog in the house lined-up at the deck doors barking at the top of their lungs for 10 minutes after the squirrel in question had left the area. One day, I opened the door when they started up and said, "OK, go get it!" They stopped barking, looked up at me, and politely declined. Never a problem since, lol. Of course, our suburban squirrels are bigger than most of my dogs...

If our yard was totally fenced, I would LOVE to give this a try! But, knowing Emma, I doubt that would even work! :aktion033: She can be a stinker!

JasperandAkira'smom

Mine bark at the stray cats that are coming into my yard. I have tried letting them chase them but it does not keep the cats away. I am going to try to find the collar because a spray bottle does not seem to bother them.

I tried the Citronella collars once and they worked great until . . . the little brats figured out if they whine and cry instead of bark the collars wouldn't work :-) So I switched to the spray bottle.

My 3 bark at horse and buggies, cats, squirrels, cows, little kids, people walking by, yep, pretty much everything. So far in the back yard they've cornered . . . a groundhog, a baby possum and a stray cat and multiple baby birds and dead adult bird that caused a great game of keep away so they didn't have to share it with each other. And that doesn't include the snake I found last month, and the few cows and pigs that have escaped the pasture out back over the years and the skunks. It can be very entertaining living in the country :-)

They love to lay on the back of the couch that's right in front of the window, so it was barking almost non stop sometimes. You know the privacy covering you can line your bathroom windows with? Well they make it in spray cans, so now the sunshine comes in the window, but the little monsters can't see out to bark at everything :-) It does come off very easily with a razor blade, so it's not really permanent. Puppy nails take it off quite easily too. Chase's thing he does now when he hears me bringing groceries up is to stand on the back of the couch and try to stretch as high as he can while he's jumping up and down trying to see out the top part of the window. :signthankspin:

Edited by bluesy

Sam hardly ever barks. He barks for treats. He barks if he isn't getting his point across that he wants me to get off the computer and pay attention to him. And, he barks if I ask him "do you want to go outside?"

I wish he would bark when someone pulls in the drive, but no such luck.

JasperandAkira'smom

Rita, mine do the same thing on the back of the couch so I thank you for the tip about the spray...I am going to try to find this stuff. I have amish that live all around me and the dogs hate the horses and buggies! They will go crazy and then start fighting eachother when they can't get to them.

You should be glad your furkid does not bark alot...with two going at the same time you can hear nothing else but them until they stop.