Shih Tzu mix rescue

My dog was found wandering the countryside. It came up to a neighbors house and was given to me. I have no idea of his age or his history. I do know that he was extreemly shy unfriendly. It took him two years for him to show me his belly. He still runs when visitors show up and growls on occasion. He doesn't like affection or handeling most of the time unless he gets treats. He refuses to go outside unless he has to. When he comes in he has begun asking for affection and after he is done he walks away. He doesn't hide any more when I come into a room.(This is recent) He doesn't lick people but licks my chihuahua. He's an odd duck. Is this behavior normal for shih tzu?

JasperandAkira'smom

My girl was like this for a while but now she likes to sit on laps and get belly rubs on her terms that is!!

The behavior you describe is that of a dog that was not properly socialized as a puppy. It's not normal Shih Tzu behavior: they should be sociable, sweet, loving and trusting of everyone. However, you are seeing progress and he will likely to continue to improve as time goes on. Well done so far!

Sunlite

It sounds as if this little guy might not have had a very good beginning with love and attention lacking.... I'm glad he's coming around and I expect that it'll continue to improve. Bless you for giving him a proper home to live in. ;)

Thank you for taking this little guy in and working with him. I hope he continues to develop trust and to relax for you.

sounds like your on the right track.

Just like everyone else said... its normal for a dog who has not been taking care of properly growing up.

Your doing great keep it up!

He lets me keep the mats off him, clip his nails and get some baths in. He doesn't allow prolonged grooming. It doesn't hurt my feelings that he doesn't look like a show dog. As long as he is happy. I am happy when he lets my lay by him and pet him without having to chase him down, pull him out of his hiding spot and "torture" him with affection. ;)

He's a cute little guy. A big thanks for being a great person and working with him. Some people I think give up on dogs to fast & don't want to put the work in to help them.