Rescue Rant

MissMolly

I am home alone, my husband is off hunting and I really need to tell this to someone!! Aren't you all lucky!

I saw a wonderful 3 year old shih tzu on adopt-a-pet. I emailed them to ask a few questions such as did they have a lot of applications, any prerequisites to adopting, do they adopt out of state. I am in NY, they are in PA. I received an e-mail back telling me that they do indeed adopt to NY, as long as I was willing to drive to them. I was also told they had a number of apps but wanted someone with more experience with small dogs. I had already given them a mini history of my household and was told to fill out an application since I did have the experience.

I filled out the application. Got another e-mail to tell me it was received and they wanted to call my references that day so please inform them that they would be receiving a phone call. Called my vet and friend to let them know. Another email asking for home pictures, in and out. Took them and with a lot of trouble finally emailed them. Was told they were received.

Just received another email telling me SORRY but they require a fenced yard. From the very beginning I told them I live on an acre with fields behind my house and it is not fenced. :ohyeah: I had a little cry because everything had been so positive up until then and I was actually starting to imagine him in our household. (I know, that was not smart)

Emailed back that I would have appreciated knowing this requirement from the get go so all my time and hers was not wasted. I also told her I was only going to get a rescue locally or buy from a breeder. I am done with the rescue apps. I did wish her rescue good luck in the future and thanked her for being a foster.

Why oh why aren't they up front in the beginning???

ETA: And then I had to call and tell people that they would NOT be receiving a phone call. Just a little embarassing.

Rant over. Thank you for listening.

Pat

Edited by MissMolly

It's easier to adopt human children than furkids, sometimes. I have sent you a pm.

Received and answered. Thank you. I just wish they had let me know up front and that I hadn't had my expectations raised. That was my fault for assuming the best I guess.

I am sorry you went through all of that too. I live in PA and I tried to get a Shih Tzu from a rescue a bit south of me before I got Sam. I emailed the rescue through petfinder to get an application. The woman emailed me back the application. I filled it out and waited. And waited. When I followed up a few days later, her response to me was that she didn't feel it fair to subject a dog to "that life," referring to the fact that I work from 8-4:30 every day. I had included in the application that I would have someone to visit him mid-day, that I do have a completely fenced in back yard, and that I could provide vet references.

In any case, I was very hurt. "That life" would have been a very loving home. I got lucky and found Sam the next day. His original owner worked for my sister and couldn't take care of him because her mother had fallen sick. Sam is alone while I am at work, but he is very loved and very well cared for. His "Grandma Sally" comes at lunch time every day and loves her. It still really hurts my feelings that the rescue-Nazi insinuated that I wouldn't provide a good enough hom.

I emailed another rescue a few weeks ago, again through petfinder, about a little girl Shih Tzu and didn't even get the courtesy of a response. I did see on their facebook page a few days later that the dog had been adopted. Still, a response would have been nice.

Laura&Lucky

I am sorry you went through all of that too. I live in PA and I tried to get a Shih Tzu from a rescue a bit south of me before I got Sam. I emailed the rescue through petfinder to get an application. The woman emailed me back the application. I filled it out and waited. And waited. When I followed up a few days later, her response to me was that she didn't feel it fair to subject a dog to "that life," referring to the fact that I work from 8-4:30 every day. I had included in the application that I would have someone to visit him mid-day, that I do have a completely fenced in back yard, and that I could provide vet references.

..."That life" would have been a very loving home. It still really hurts my feelings that the rescue-Nazi insinuated that I wouldn't provide a good enough home.

I emailed another rescue a few weeks ago, again through petfinder, about a little girl Shih Tzu and didn't even get the courtesy of a response. I did see on their facebook page a few days later that the dog had been adopted. Still, a response would have been nice.

I went through this not long ago with a reputable breeder in our area. She had a young female tzu for 'adoption' as she wasn't physically compatible with being a mother. After a bit of correspondence and a phone call, she said Ok, come get her, you can take her today... I started on my way to her house only to call her and she said that she had changed her mind and didn't want her girl going to a home with other dogs nor did she want her to be crated. :ohyeah:

In the previous phone conversation, she told me she had 15 tzus and had to 'rotate' who got to stay in the house and who stayed in the outdoor kennels. Come on, if she kept her outside with other dogs in a run, then what's the problem with her going to a home with other animals and being crated once to twice a week while my husband and I are both at work???

I come home at lunch on the days we both work and stay for over an hour, and they're only home alone for 8 hours a day once to twice a week. But, her choice I guess. Anyway, I found Maggie later, so it's ok. :monkeydance:

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but from many stories I've heard it's not an uncommon one.

Here's a laugh for you. A few years back I volunteered to foster for a Shih Tzu rescue. They were thrilled with my ap, references were glowing, home visit went great. Then they told me "no" because I had an intact male dog in the house (a 4-month puppy, my Gus). I was instructed to contact them again when Gus was neutered. I did. They (of course) wanted proof so I sent them that. They said they'd be in touch in a few days.

After 2 weeks (with them howling for help on their website), I contacted them again. They said they'd check to make sure everything was in order and get back to me.

After another 2 weeks, I made one last attempt. Never heard from them again.

Fast forward a couple of years. We now have Drake in the show ring and I visit their booth at the International Cluster where they are all OVER me because I know Shih Tzu and they are desperate for foster homes. I mention that I have an unaltered male who will remain unaltered. No problem! I then tell them about my previous experience with their rescue and everybody gets really quiet. Then everybody starts apologizing. I told them at that point that I was sorry too, but at this point I don't really have room to foster but will be happy to support them monetarily. I hope that at least gave them something to think about, but I doubt it.

JasperandAkira'smom

Wow rescue places sound like a nightmare!!! I know they have to make sure the dog is well taken care of but MAN!!! I don't think I could go thru all that and then not go off on them when I was not accepted after spending so much time giving them the info they needed. I sure am glad I just waited until my girlfriend had my pups.

Thanks for all the replies. At least it shows this was not an unusual situation. And Nikki I tried really hard when I was sending them my last e-mail not to be as nasty as I wanted to be, that's why I wished them good luck and thanked her for being a foster. It was hard to do but I felt better not writing everything I felt at the moment.

I believe I am done with rescue, which is really sad because I do believe in it.

JasperandAkira'smom

You are a smart lady Pat!!!

tinypinkkissess

That sucks for both you and for that dog, who missed out on a loving home, all because of a lack of a fence..Before I ended up getting Lola from a reputable breeder, I used to cruise Petfinder almost daily for months..That was before I learned that my unfenced yard, was an automatic rescue adoption disqualification..I do though remember viewing various dogs on Petfinder that would have to be relisted, because the family who adopted them from the rescue initially, didn't or wouldn't properly adhere to the special medical requirements of the dog..I remember seeing ads on Petfinder for dogs that got loose\lost after arriving in their new adopted home...I guess a fence doesn't automatically equal a great owner :ohyeah:..I realize rescues have rules to help ultimately find forever homes for these dogs..But requirements like a fence stopping a dog from going to a great, loving home, seem counter productive to me..

Edited by tinypinkkissess
loewenthal.anna

Oh boy, I SO FEEL YOU!

To be totally honest, the more I work with private rescue (and it's been 10 years now, so I'd say I've given it a fair shot) the more I believe in responsible breeding and public shelters. Seriously. First of all, if we STOPPED supporting bad breeders, there wouldn't BE extra dogs (or breeders unwilling to take back puppies, or even unsavory owners because they would have all been screened. . . but now I'm REALLY dreaming!) and if the dogs who *did* need homes were cared for only by public rescue they would have more community support and be able to keep better records ie: if I person adopts a dog and returns it or abandons a dog, they could not go out and adopt another one.

Public shelters get the crap end of EVERYTHING. No funding. No community support ("they are a KILL SHELTER"). No ROOM for all the dogs they are *obligated to take*. AND! They get snooty "private rescue" groups pounding down their door trying to swoop in and snatch up the only "easily adoptable" dogs in the joint which means that they are left to *try* and adopt out the troubled, old, debilitated animals at regular intervals just to cover the overhead of keeping the building open.

My best suggestion is to contact your local (or even not-so-local, if you like them better) ASPCA, CACC, or pound and let them know that you are very motivated to adopt a Shih-Tzu. They'll love you because you're not looking for a young puppy and because all you want is for someone to be upfront with you (they can't afford not to be). Every shelter I've worked at will keep a list of people to call if a particular kind of dog comes in and that, paired with going frequently to look or talk to the workers and build a relationship will likely bring you the dog you want in the next 6 months, just going on statistics.

Fluffalicious

In Australia most rescues do a yard check , and you are required to have a fence . I actually do not have a problem with this request , because my sister has a rescue Lhasa and Tzu - and during the first year , an open door was a signal to escape . Kirsty

JasperandAkira'smom

I don't have a fenced in yard but my two are always leashed up to go outside or put in another room while door is being opened (if it is alot). Mine do pretty well with stay also but I only trust this if I am the one going in or out the door. Call me CONTRO FREAK!!!

I am sorry for everyone who has had a bad experience. I volunteer for a rescue here in Minnesota. We do have requirements. Some of our dogs don't get adopted to families with no fences because of the dogs history of being a stray or a runner. The more dogs you have without a fence it just becomes harder to bring them outside. Plus we have a policy no ties outs. Some of these dogs have had a really bad life and the rescue just wants to make sure there is no chance of escaping and getting hit by a car. I know that's why we have requirement and I am not sure about the other rescues. I doubt they see you as unable to give a loving home. Some rescues are just a little over the top that way. I am sure there are bad rescues out there, but there are really good ones too. When I bring a foster dog to a home that requires a fence, I have to look for areas where the dog can dig out or escape and make sure it gets fixed. Some people are just lazy and we are looking out for the dog.

I understand all the rescues requirements. The thing that bothered me is I asked a lot of questions first before filling out the application and the fence requirement never came up. Rescues can have all the rules they want but I would appreciate honesty in the beginning. That's all.

I do volunteer at my local shelter but we mostly get large dogs which I cannot handle so it looks like they want to use my skills in the office instead! We did get Molly from a shelter. It was just in the next city about 45 minutes from us. For some reasons we do not see a lot of smaller dogs in the shelters here.

I completely understand where you are coming from. Before I found Missy Mae I wrote this vent.

"Just a vent. I probably am going to say things that I will regret in the morning but for now I am just frustrated, upset and yes hurt. As some of you may know I began my puppy search in April. I finally had it down to two breeds the Havanese and the Maltese. I have talked to breeders from both breeds, went off of the parent breed club recommended breeders, the AKC recommend breeders and word of mouth. This is what I have gotten so far.

Breeders ~ I understand that you put a lot of time, effort, and money in your dogs and puppies. I understand that you want the very best for your puppies and retired show/breeder dogs. I understand that while having a litter is not to make money the price of a puppy is based on trying to break even on a litter. Paying $2000 for a puppy should go a long way to "show" that I am going to provide for the puppy. I understand that you will not just hand over a puppy/dog to anyone. I understand that I really do. That being said when it becomes easier to be certified as a foster care visitor than it is to be "approved" by a breeder there is something wrong!

Rescues ~ I understand that you see suffering and human's at their very worst at times. I understand that you put a lot of money, time and heartfelt emotions into rescuing those that are cast off to suffer horrible fates. I understand that puppy mills and BYB fill your foster homes and that you have to turn away dogs that you know will have a high chance of being put to sleep at best and the worst ... I try not to think about it. I understand you are protective of the puppies/dogs you have and do not want to see them back in a home where they could be hurt, abused or worse. That being said when it is easier to pass a background check to work in a Alzheimer Unit then it is to get a puppy/dog from a rescue there is something wrong!

Greeders ~ Thank you so much for making the search for a puppy such a freaking nightmare! I have almost been fooled by three different greeders now! Thank you so much for producing mass amounts of, what will probably be, sick puppies/adults. Thank you so much for producing puppies/dogs that will steal my heart and bankrupt me because of their health problems due to your greed! Thank you so much for making what should be a fun and exciting time a complete and utter nightmare. Thank you so much for the heartache, frustration and mind-numbing websites, no really thanks a freakin' lot!!!!

I used being a foster care visitor and working in a Alzheimer Unit as examples because I am qualified/passed background checks to do both! I am not a first time dog owner. I did basic obedience classes at Petsmart (not all Petsmart trainers are horrid or don't know what they are doing) and have taught over 300 classes. With different breeds of all ages. I have done extensive research on the breed/s and would not be filling out a puppy questionnaire if I did not think I would/could provide a good home for the breed I am applying for.

I am sick of hearing this breed really does better if they are not left alone (SAHM), this breed really needs to be in a home without young children (my youngest is 12), and this breed loves to play and be active. Then watch the breeder/rescue backpedal as I tell them about our family. Things that were not an issue before, or things that were pointed out as "good" now are a reason to say my home is not good enough for their pup and to look elsewhere!

I understand that I have a lot of children. The puppy is not for the children, the puppy is for me, the adult in the house. I have arthritis. There are things that I can no longer do, that two years ago, I could. Things that my children and DH, and I all loved doing together.

Now while they are off hiking I sit at the campsite, alone, because it is to hard on my knee's to go and I refuse to deny the children activities they love doing based on my physical limitations. There are a lot of things that I cannot do anymore because now those things make me hurt. As much as I want to deny it, it gets worse every year and there are more and more things that I cross of my able to do without pain list!

I know that dog training is one activity that I can do. It is an activity that I could do with my children. It is an activity that I really enjoyed doing in the past. I want company and companionship that does not care that today is a day that we snuggle or play in the house because I hurt.

Right now it feels like my only chance of having a small breed dog is to get one from a greeder just to "prove" that I can take care of a small breed dog and provide it with a wonderful home!

I just finished my last two classes for my AA degree and instead of celebrating by finding my "perfect" puppy I am wading through the greeders, rescues and breeders. I am depressed and sad!"

As upsetting as it was at the time now I realize that I kept getting turned down because Missy Mae was just waiting for me to find her!

Edited by MissyMae

Wow. Looks like you went through a lot more than me. But as my mother has always said "Everything happens for a reason" And I guess that reason was Missy Mae. She is an absolutely cutie. How is she doing now? Playing with Token?

We had an "incident" with Token, who is my foster, or was. I will update in a new thread later. I just stopped by to see puppy pictures ;)

I have three biology quiz's to do, a history paper and history quiz. I was bad and waiting until the last minute to do them so I am a bit busy right now!

*ETA*

School is frosting my cupcake so I am taking a break!

Missy Mae took awhile to "like" Token. He would drop his toys over the babygate to her to try and get her to play. He play bowed to her, he "talked" to her, and even would drop his treats to her over the gate. She just really was not interested in him. Then she became a little hussy (went into heat) and tried desperately (they were never in the same room together once she went into heat, much to her dismay) to get Token's attention. Now if she hears his toenails on the hardwood floors she barks her head off trying to get him to come down to our room.

Edited by MissyMae
luvmybabies

I am so sorry so many of you have had trouble getting a dog from a breeder or rescue because of the fence problem. I have four little dogs and what I do with them is not let them off our big deck. We extended it about three years ago and then lined the inside of the railing with ex-pens strung all along. Then my husband who is a welder made a lovely gate to stop them from going down the stairs off the deck. They have a lot of room to run and play on the deck and love it out there. This year we took it a step further. I wanted them to do some of their business on the lawn so we took out some of the posts of the railing, built a ramp going down off it (put sides up made of lattice on the way down) and it ends in a section of the lawn that is enclosed by another 4 foot high ex-pen. As I also train them in obedience/rally they get any extra exercise they need from that and they get socialization when we go to classes and shows. I also take all four of them with me (we have snoozer car seats and harnesses to keep them safe) a lot of the time. Perhaps if you had a deck and did this with it you would get them to approve you. It is fairly inexpensive to do this and these little dogs don't really need to run in a back yard all the time. You could take them for walks on a leash to exercise them more if you felt they needed it. I have had no trouble getting any breeder to approve me and I've had many purebred registered dogs from very good breeders. Just a suggestion.....

Totally had the same experience when we were looking for Chloe! After a dozen applications to my petfinder crushes we just gave up. Some of the shelters would even rather have the dog put down than adopt to someone without a fence! No wonder puppy mills have so much business with the strict requirements of shelters.

I have serious issues with the yard requirement.

LITTLE DOGS SHOULDN'T BE LEFT UNATTENDED OUTSIDE PERIOD! Especially puppies. There are TOO many risks for small dogs. They can escape through gaps in fences, dig out quickly, or get attacked by hawks (my parents even have a golden eagle that migrates less than a half mile from their house so we have to watch her VERY diligently when we visit).

So, what is the difference between a fenced yard and a leash if you are there? My mother in law hooks her mini dachshund to two connected extendileashes attached to her back railing so that Zoe can run around by herself while she watches through the kitchen windows. And we take Chloe to the dog park a few times a week to run (although all she does is sniff, run up for cuddles from the other dog owners, and wait to charge up and down our hallway with her toys).

Of course it took me FOREVER to find a breeder that I approved of that was within a days drive and sold puppies in our price range ($500 was my cap). I refused to purchase from anyone that bred more than 3 breeds, had too many breeding stock, or sold anything with a doodle or poo in the name. It took us 6 months of interviews and being told by breeders that "a Shih Tzu should weigh 4-8 lbs" and "It's okay to breed over 200 dogs as long as you have the appropriate staff and facilities. That totally doesn't qualify as a puppy mill. Dogs were meant to breed every cycle and they enjoy it so much."

We ended up finding a show breeder 6 hours from us.

Edited by Chloe'sMom

When we were looking for a rescue dog I wanted a female that was between 2-6 years old. While searching on Petfinder I saw a 5 year old female Shih Tzu that was a puppy mill rescue dumped off by the breeder when she was no longer able to breed. I wanted her so bad but they turned me down because I live in an apartment. I applied for a few more that ended up already being adopted. Then my husband and I got our hearts set on a black, male Brussels Griffon puppy that had had some health problems and when I applied the rescue let me know that I was the first to apply and they really liked my application and asked me to come meet him. We did and we fell in love and they set up a home visit for the next Tuesday and said they would leave him there with us if they liked what they saw. Tuesday came and I got back in touch with them to ask when they'd be coming and they said they'd given him to someone that had a backyard instead. So back to petfinder and we saw a black shih tzu female puppy that we applied for and the rescue said they'd already adopted her out but that her brother and sister were still left and we were approved and could go to the foster family's house and pick out the one we wanted so we picked out the girl and that's how we got Casbah. Unfortunately, it turn out that the Save a Dog rescue isn't that reputable. Apparently they do rescue dogs in need but they also buy desirable puppies and small breed dogs at auction to supplement their rescue dogs. So in essence they are giving money to puppy mills to rescue the puppies from being bred and on occasion also help stray's. I still feel guilty about having gotten Cassy from such a rescue.

loewenthal.anna

R-E-P-U-T-A-B-L-E . . . THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING THAT WORD! What you said is ABSOLUTELY TRUE! I have worked with three different rescues (either directly, or by way of working at a shelter/vets office) in three different states that also bought dogs at auction, or DIRECTLY from back yard breeders or puppy mills to "supplement" their "supply" of adorable little pure or designer breed dogs. -- IT DOES HAPPEN. More than any of us would like to believe.

As an addendum to my previous post/ co-rant singing the praises of local shelters let me add: They are a GREAT resource for evaluating the "reputation" of a particular rescue in the area. They will know them, for better or worse, and generally will not have a problem telling you what they know in the spirit of doing what's best for the dogs. Both high-profile shelters I worked at maintained a "black list" of RESCUES, as well as individuals (generally either back yard breeders, or volunteers for crappy rescues) who were not to ever be approved for a dog. -- you'd be amazed how many "rescues" will pull 10-15 puppies/dogs at a time only to become "overwhelmed" two weeks later and dump them back at the shelter (or one near by) and the problem with that is simple: they made room for the shelter to take in 10-15 MORE dogs in need in the community, and no longer have room for the original group. 9 times out of 10 that scenario results in mass euthanizations and that is only one of the "nicer" scenarios under which a rescue might make the black list.

To answer your comment of "there are rarely small dogs in our shelter" I can only implore you to call them, have them take your information, and keep checking -- Shih-Tzu, Maltese, Yorkies, Havanese, Toy Poodles, and Lhasa Apso are indeed "rare" in the shelter environment, and being rare they are often the first to be "pulled" (grabbed up by rescue) or adopted out. Ask your shelter if they allow private rescues to "pull" or "hold" dogs before they are available to the public -- if they do, find a shelter that doesn't (you want to have a fair shake, after all) and ask them to notify you when they get in a small breed and what their time restrictions are for how long the dog need to be held before going up for adoption. I PROMISE that most shelter will allow you to do this, and even welcome it from someone committed to rescue and with experience in the breed.

It is absolutely true that all things happen for a reason and that you *WILL* get your perfect dog, so keep your chin up! GOOD LUCK!!

I have only rescues. I feel greatful that I did not use a rescue group. They are supposed to be in the business of trying to save lives and give these dogs a better life. They should want to give the dogs to people who want them. My dogs are less than perfect. All mixed breeds. Some breeders would try to make money from advertizing them as designer dogs. Designer dogs are simply mutts. I was given three of my sweet dogs and one was found wandering the country side. All of my dogs came to me unwanted by someone but I wanted them, care for them, love them. None are what I would have specifically ordered but they were everything I ever needed. I accepted 4 dogs into my home sight unseen without knowing much if anything about them in some cases.